XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

12-13-2018, 02:04 PM   #1
just_dirty
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: RR Sport, F10 550, F450, E92

Potential 35D owner with some questions

Hi All,

I currently own a Gl320 CDI and i''ve been throwing around the idea of selling it for an X5 35D and had a few questions.

1) How loud is the diesel clatter? Idle and during normal cruising.

2) Is the Adaptive drive worth it? More concerned about a soft and supple ride vs hard and sporty.
I have a F10 550i with adaptive drive and I love how much it changes the suspension characteristics, wanted to know if it's the same for the e70.

3) How is the Non- Adaptive drive suspension? Again more worried about comfort than sport.

4) Any "Must Have" options that I should be looking out for?

Thanks!
Frozen Black Widebody E92 : VRSF CP, N54Tuning Downpipes, Tial BOV, DCI, MHD Flash, Aquamist HSF-3 Meth kit Dual Nozzle, Megan Racing Toe Arms,Megan Racing Camber Arm, Megan Racing Trailing Arm, IND Delrin Subframe Bushings, M3 Control Arms,Fortune 500 Series Coilovers, Square 18x11 Apex Ec7 w/ 315/30/18 Hoosier R7's

Last edited by just_dirty; 12-17-2018 at 01:33 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2018, 09:41 PM   #2
what have i got into
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 135i, 2013 X5d

1) How loud is the diesel clatter? At idle, you can't even tell it's a diesel. Getting going from a stop, yes, you can tell it's a diesel by the sound, but what I also love, is you can tell it's a diesel because it just naturally launches from a standstill. Cruising I think depends on speed at 55-65, mine is smooth and completely quiet. 70-80 it has that tractor sound a little and then 80-100 it just smooths out again. But I actually like it across all the bands. With music on or talking to people, I don't even notice. I have had several people comment, after I tell them it's a diesel and the gas mileage, they are like, "wait, THIS is a diesel?" So they don't even notice, but I am more of a car guy.

2) Is the Adaptive drive worth it? I don't have the adaptive drive but do have the Sport package which I think is basically the 19" wheels. I have two sets of wheels. Run flats for summer and non-run flats for winter and LOVE the non-run flats. The car handles just as well but the harsh bumps of the run flats are gone. The summer tires next year will be non-run flats.

4) Any "Must Have" options that I should be looking out for? I wasn't really interested in the comfort access, but now that I have it, it's so nice to just walk up to the car with your hands full of stuff, barely grab the handle, usually with my pinky, and the doors unlock and open. I also like the heated seats and heated steering wheel, which I wanted the seats, but the steering wheel is just an added bonus.
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2018, 10:48 AM   #3
jiggz
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3|F15 X5 50i

I don't have the 35d or Adaptive Drive so can't comment specifically on those, but those who do have Adaptive Drive really like it (and most say they wouldn't own one without).

The problem is, it's not an easy option to find when buying used. It was an expensive option new ($3500) so few people checked that box. If you do find one with it, will the rest of the vehicle meet your criteria for miles, condition, color, location, options, etc.? Basically, unless you have to have it, I'd leave it out of your search - it will make finding one way easier.

Must have options for me on a 35d would be Sport Package for sure. This adds the sport seats, sport steering wheel, anthracite headliner, shadowline (gloss black) exterior window trim instead of chrome, 19 inch wheels instead of 18, though many Sport Package equipped X5's have the optional 20 inch wheels.

The other must have for me any many others here is the optional multi-contour seats, or as noted in the VIN decoder, 'S456A Comfort Seat With Memory' These are the step above the Sports Seats, which are a step above the base seat. Lots of seats options. Even 1 more if you include the Ventilated Seats.
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2018, 01:34 PM   #4
just_dirty
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: RR Sport, F10 550, F450, E92

Quote:
Originally Posted by jiggz View Post
I don't have the 35d or Adaptive Drive so can't comment specifically on those, but those who do have Adaptive Drive really like it (and most say they wouldn't own one without).

The problem is, it's not an easy option to find when buying used. It was an expensive option new ($3500) so few people checked that box. If you do find one with it, will the rest of the vehicle meet your criteria for miles, condition, color, location, options, etc.? Basically, unless you have to have it, I'd leave it out of your search - it will make finding one way easier.

Must have options for me on a 35d would be Sport Package for sure. This adds the sport seats, sport steering wheel, anthracite headliner, shadowline (gloss black) exterior window trim instead of chrome, 19 inch wheels instead of 18, though many Sport Package equipped X5's have the optional 20 inch wheels.

The other must have for me any many others here is the optional multi-contour seats, or as noted in the VIN decoder, 'S456A Comfort Seat With Memory' These are the step above the Sports Seats, which are a step above the base seat. Lots of seats options. Even 1 more if you include the Ventilated Seats.

How does the Non adaptive suspension ride? Is it more biased on the comfort side or sport side?
Frozen Black Widebody E92 : VRSF CP, N54Tuning Downpipes, Tial BOV, DCI, MHD Flash, Aquamist HSF-3 Meth kit Dual Nozzle, Megan Racing Toe Arms,Megan Racing Camber Arm, Megan Racing Trailing Arm, IND Delrin Subframe Bushings, M3 Control Arms,Fortune 500 Series Coilovers, Square 18x11 Apex Ec7 w/ 315/30/18 Hoosier R7's
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2018, 03:50 PM   #5
what have i got into
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 135i, 2013 X5d

I have towed a trailer many times with no issue, carried five passengers and their luggage many times to the airport, bags of concrete for a deck addition, four passengers offroad on forest service roads, many trips in the snow, and then many miles on the interstate just solo. And never had any issues with the handling. Still has a sporty feel, to me. What was DEFINITELY noticeable was the braking distance. I also caution that I have a sports car to do my sporty drives and I understand the SAV to be a behemoth and I don't ever expect it to handle like the car.

Now, I also may be confused as I do have the sport package, but I am unaware if this included adaptive drive in it. I thought the adaptive drive was a separate package, but I see some threads saying the sport package came with adaptive drive.

Last edited by what have i got into; 12-17-2018 at 03:58 PM..
Appreciate 0