XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

11-24-2018, 07:01 PM   #1
maddog99
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 V8 2013

Custom Android Head Unit Options? NOT AVIN!

Brothers & Sisters of BMWfandom

I have the e70 & want to upgrade my CIC experience to get voice activated google maps with real google traffic. Id also like Android Auto compatibility with my phone (not just screen mirroring). I like how this works in the newer cars but I have what I have and want to upgrade.

My choices I know of are:
1. do the full Bimmertech type retrofit to NBT EVO ID6 for $3Kish. BUT this does not have full google/online integration Im told. I dont get google traffic, or any of the online services activated, which makes the upgrade useless to me (I already have CIC and basic traffic info that is crap or I have my cell phone).

2. Do the AVIN USA or comparable upgrade to this unit:https://www.ebay.com/itm/For-BMW-X5-...7ad3:rk:1:pf:0

Its been reviewed many times & while it has much promise it does not deliver IMO. It is a decent screen upgrade, but even then many tales of it crashing after a year. The android side of it is basically useless. And to run it in original CIC mode will give me a better screen, but not much else. I want that integrated google maps feel.

The old CIC is the ONLY thing I dont like about my sweet 2013 i50 w/ Dinan stage 2. She is a fighting beast & I love her!

Is there any other systems or solutions you know of to get head unit upgrades? Apple Mini installs? that run through idrive but actually work well & are of high quality? ie: Panasonic, Kenwood, etc head install onto my system. Even if I lose the idrive, but I have voice control, I can live with that.

Please let me know what you know & thanks in advance!
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2018, 03:43 AM   #2
Sophisticated Redneck
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW X5 50i

I just ordered a supposed 8.1 system off of Ebay that I dont think is a Avin but we will see. I just found these guys, kinda wishing I would have ordered from them as this looks like a legit 8.1 but hopefully what I am getting is the same thing. You might want to check them out

https://4x4shop.ca/product/oem-fit-r...al-cic-system/

Last edited by Sophisticated Redneck; 11-25-2018 at 05:52 AM..
Appreciate 1
      11-26-2018, 07:51 AM   #3
do_0b
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2010 X6 M

Garage List
2010 BMW X6M  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophisticated Redneck View Post
I just ordered a supposed 8.1 system off of Ebay that I dont think is a Avin but we will see. I just found these guys, kinda wishing I would have ordered from them as this looks like a legit 8.1 but hopefully what I am getting is the same thing. You might want to check them out

https://4x4shop.ca/product/oem-fit-r...al-cic-system/
these guys are local to me. let me know how the unit works out for ya
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2018, 08:53 AM   #4
mrsoandso
Private
Rep
Drives: '11 X6M

Quote:
Originally Posted by do_0b View Post
They're local to me as well, yet they're the highest priced option of aftermarket android from what I've found.

Kind of odd in my opinion.
Appreciate 1
      11-26-2018, 10:07 AM   #5
0-60Motorsports
Brigadier General
Bahrain
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 JB 04 Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsoandso View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by do_0b View Post
They're local to me as well, yet they're the highest priced option of aftermarket android from what I've found.

Kind of odd in my opinion.
Exactly. It comes out to above $700 after I add on the options so that's a no go for me.
2011 VW Golf R DSG White/Black
IG: @060Motorsports
Appreciate 0