XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

09-18-2019, 09:55 PM   #1
Sophisticated Redneck
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW X5 50i

And they said it couldn't be done! I made X5M Brakes fit in a Hyundai SantaFe!!!

Now you really didn't think I installed them in a Hyundai did you? #clickbait

Got a amazing deal from local dealer the X5M brake kit (Arrowhead BMW, if you are In AZ, highly recommend them, will match or beat most online prices)

In true BMW form, even the shipping box is over-engineered, they didn't think it would fit but it the little Santafe, but as you can see it BARELY did =).

I might sell the rotors and upgrade to the F85's before I use them, have some time to think about as doing a complete refresh on it first (new injectors, HPFP's, coils, plugs, valve guide seals, water pump, pressure converters) then on to the tranny with new solenoids (very HARD to find new for the ZF 8hp) and then finally the brake upgrade.

After all that is said and done: JB4, X-pipe, Alpina intercoolers, sprint booster (down pipes & new turbos already done). See how hard I can push it, then transfer all the new parts to a new rebuilt N63 if it doesn't make it....engine has over 150K miles now....will be interesting to see how long it lasts...

Probably start a build log just for fun.
Attached Images

Last edited by Sophisticated Redneck; 09-18-2019 at 10:08 PM..
Appreciate 1
Nyc Dito112.50
      09-19-2019, 10:29 AM   #2
pearlpower
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i

And here I clicked looking for a Hyundai Santa Fe with large M brakes installed behind the wheels.
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2019, 05:25 AM   #3
Muzimak
Banned
Rep
Drives: X5 E70

Does this KIT worn on normal E70s?
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2019, 01:43 PM   #4
chris604
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X5 M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophisticated Redneck View Post
Now you really didn't think I installed them in a Hyundai did you? #clickbait

Got a amazing deal from local dealer the X5M brake kit (Arrowhead BMW, if you are In AZ, highly recommend them, will match or beat most online prices)

In true BMW form, even the shipping box is over-engineered, they didn't think it would fit but it the little Santafe, but as you can see it BARELY did =).

I might sell the rotors and upgrade to the F85's before I use them, have some time to think about as doing a complete refresh on it first (new injectors, HPFP's, coils, plugs, valve guide seals, water pump, pressure converters) then on to the tranny with new solenoids (very HARD to find new for the ZF 8hp) and then finally the brake upgrade.

After all that is said and done: JB4, X-pipe, Alpina intercoolers, sprint booster (down pipes & new turbos already done). See how hard I can push it, then transfer all the new parts to a new rebuilt N63 if it doesn't make it....engine has over 150K miles now....will be interesting to see how long it lasts...

Probably start a build log just for fun.
Looks like you bought everything under the sun!
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2019, 04:44 PM   #5
Sophisticated Redneck
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muzimak View Post
Does this KIT worn on normal E70s?
It sure does, this is actually the exact rotors and calipers the M E70 comes with. I have a 50i that I installing these into. The only issue you will run into is the rear rotors have a bit smaller diameter bore due to the M having this vs the reg. E70's. Easy to machine out or just go with the F85's rotors as they will bolt right on. If you do a search on the E70 retro brake kit, you will find a couple of threads going into detail on it. I will make more posts on it when it comes time to install, which will be a week or two as I am knee deep in a top end refresh on the engine right now..
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2019, 04:51 PM   #6
Sophisticated Redneck
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

[QUOTE=chris604;25287148]Looks like you bought everything under the sun![/QUOTE

Lol, ya...I added HPFP's and the pressure converters since then and just decided to pull the heads once I borescoped the cylinders and intake valves and saw how much carbon buildup there was...going to clean everything cleaned up proper this way. Cylinder walls and cam bearing surfaces look great though...gives me hope it will last awhile when I crank the boost to insane levels which is what all of this is about...
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-25-2019, 05:45 PM   #7
rodnex
Private
Rep
Drives: E70 3.0si, E70 3.0d, E70 X5DUS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophisticated Redneck View Post
It sure does, this is actually the exact rotors and calipers the M E70 comes with. I have a 50i that I installing these into. The only issue you will run into is the rear rotors have a bit smaller diameter bore due to the M having this vs the reg. E70's. Easy to machine out or just go with the F85's rotors as they will bolt right on.
you just ordered the wrong parts

I ordered the F85 sports brake upgrade kit, which is the E70 X5M brakes with 74.1mm hub rotors
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2019, 09:07 PM   #8
Sophisticated Redneck
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodnex View Post
you just ordered the wrong parts

I ordered the F85 sports brake upgrade kit, which is the E70 X5M brakes with 74.1mm hub rotors
As far as I know there is only one kit for the F85 and that is what I ordered but I was misinformed that the rear rotors were 72.5mm. I just went out and double checked and mine are indeed 74.1mm version so I have the right kit and thank you for correcting me on that. I still am considering not using the rotors and just selling them and go with the F85 X5m's drilled rotors...at least for the Fronts
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
Nyc Dito112.50