XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

01-29-2019, 11:08 AM   #1
clevemont
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 f97 BG X3Mc

X5M Stuck Hood Passenger Side Latch

Anyone have this issue before? I've seen the youtube videos and suggestions with trying to use a rod through the kidney grill area to pull on the cable, etc.
I'm not much of a gear head so I'm thinking that I need to take it in.

My concern is the labor cost that will go into actually getting to whatever is broken. I've read that it can be a nightmare.

Anyone have this issue taken care of professionally and would you mind sharing the cost? Just trying to set expectations a little bit.

Last edited by clevemont; 01-29-2019 at 03:15 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2019, 12:42 PM   #2
9vapors
Major
Rep
Drives: CB X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevemont View Post
Anyone have this issue before? I've seen the youtube videos and suggestions with trying to use a rod through the kidney grill area to pull on the cable, etc.
I'm not much of a gear head so I'm thinking that I need to take it in.

My concern is the labor cost that will go into actually getting to whatever is broken. I've read that it can be a nightmare.

Anyone have this issue taken care of professionally and would you mind sharing the cost? Just trying to set expectations a little bit.
Not sure what a passenger hood latch is? If you mean just the hood latch, try to pull it in the car while someone else pulls up on the hood. Also, not sure if there is a safety mechanism for when the car is locked, try unlocking the car as well while doing it. I've not had any issues, but I can take a picture of the mechanism if that would help you troubleshoot it.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2019, 04:52 PM   #3
clevemont
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9vapors View Post
Not sure what a passenger hood latch is? If you mean just the hood latch, try to pull it in the car while someone else pulls up on the hood. Also, not sure if there is a safety mechanism for when the car is locked, try unlocking the car as well while doing it. I've not had any issues, but I can take a picture of the mechanism if that would help you troubleshoot it.
Thanks, 9vapors. Sorry, if I wasn't clear. Went ahead and updated the title of the post as well. The latch doesn't seem to be releasing on the passenger side of the hood, while it's clear that the driver side is releasing fine. I've done the inside of the car and hood at the same time without any success (with car unlocked). At this point, I think I just need to suck it up and get it fixed. Was just hoping for some feedback as to what to expect for the cost.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2019, 06:02 PM   #4
95wildtt
Need mo $$s
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X4M Competition

Hi,

The cable that actuates both side latches is less than $30 (BMW Part number 51237184456) and is #13 below.

Here's a post from another forum that may help, there is also a video at the bottom of the thread showing how to replace the cable, looks pretty easy.
The cable is on the top rear of the radiator trim piece and clips into the actuators at one end and the cable connection into the cabin at the other end, so actually a pretty slick design.
https://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sh...ght=hood+stuck

Give it a go...
John
Attached Images

Past: 2020 X3M, 2019 TTS, 2008 X5 4.8 M Sport

Last edited by 95wildtt; 01-29-2019 at 06:27 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2019, 06:59 PM   #5
clevemont
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 95wildtt View Post
Hi,

The cable that actuates both side latches is less than $30 (BMW Part number 51237184456) and is #13 below.

Here's a post from another forum that may help, there is also a video at the bottom of the thread showing how to replace the cable, looks pretty easy.
The cable is on the top rear of the radiator trim piece and clips into the actuators at one end and the cable connection into the cabin at the other end, so actually a pretty slick design.
https://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sh...ght=hood+stuck

Give it a go...
John

Thanks, John. I'll see what I can do!
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2019, 07:56 PM   #6
dudezi
Private
Rep
Drives: X5

Hi clevemont, how did you get the hood open? my passanger side is stuck. I've tried the youtube video trick with no luck.

thanks
Z
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2019, 10:49 PM   #7
TwinSnailz
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 X5//M

Youtube video trick won’t work in the x5M as its got more radiator or cooling supplies.
I had to use a borescope with a rod to go over the headlight. That’s the only way. If you don’t have a scope then prepare to have lots of scratches around the latch area.
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2019, 11:23 AM   #8
clevemont
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dudezi View Post
Hi clevemont, how did you get the hood open? my passanger side is stuck. I've tried the youtube video trick with no luck.

thanks
Z
I ended up going to a local shop here that was able to take care of it. I think they essentially did the youtube trick. The foam piece that obstructs you from getting to the latch from the front grill had to be replaced and thankfully, they were able to remove my IND grill without breaking it. They left some minimal scratches around the latch area as they used a metal rod to get it to unlatch. I have the carmax warranty so thankfully it covered most of the repair costs, which was not that cheap (~$700 i think).
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2019, 11:34 AM   #9
dudezi
Private
Rep

thanks guys, I've already removed grill and the radiator foam,
I'm getting an endoscope from Amazon, hope it can help me to locate the latch.
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2019, 07:09 PM   #10
dudezi
Private
Rep

ok, reporting back, with a endoscope, i was able to get job done.
Appreciate 1
      09-16-2019, 10:06 PM   #11
Cyrix2k
Rep
Drives: 2017 F13 M6 6MT, 2007 X5 4.8i

This is a crazy problem. I just had the hood latch on my dad's '08 E70 break as well. I was able to pop the latch by pulling the left grill out and sticking a piece of TIG welding rod in the piece of foam next to the radiator. It took a couple minutes but wasn't too hard. For the replacement of the cable, I was able to fish the whole latch assembly out on each side, install the new cable, then carefully maneuver the latch in place. It probably took a half hour total for the repair.
Appreciate 0