XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

01-28-2019, 08:08 PM   #67
SimSimmah
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 X5 35d

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeeO View Post
Check your PM!
Found it! We've got the minimum (), but unfortunately we are out of time for the manufacturer to source and program all the units before they go on New Years holiday.
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2019, 08:10 PM   #68
Kraftwerk AG
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Mein F Fünfundachtzig Einhorn

Can you still place the order now and just wait 'till after the Chinese New Year holiday?
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2019, 08:17 PM   #69
SimSimmah
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Can you still place the order now and just wait 'till after the Chinese New Year holiday?
I can place the order as soon as I have everyone's vehicle info and funds for their units. But with the factory closed for the holiday, my thinking is to give us a little more time in case anyone else wanted to join to get us up over 10 units for the next price break. Yeah, not much but every little bit helps when it comes to bimmer parts!
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2019, 08:22 PM   #70
Kraftwerk AG
Major
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimSimmah View Post
I can place the order as soon as I have everyone's vehicle info and funds for their units. But with the factory closed for the holiday, my thinking is to give us a little more time in case anyone else wanted to join to get us up over 10 units for the next price break. Yeah, not much but every little bit helps when it comes to bimmer parts!
OIC, I hope you get to 10 units! Thanks for all your help.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2019, 08:13 AM   #71
SimSimmah
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
OIC, I hope you get to 10 units! Thanks for all your help.
Thank you sir! Me too.
New CarPlay group buy thread posted here:
https://www.xbimmers.com/forums/show...php?p=24306014

As soon as we hit 10 paid for units or Feb 14 arrives, I'll click to buy. Whichever comes first.

Sorry (again!) for the thread hijack maddog99. I'd still love to see pictures of the finished product and/or some navigation videos.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2019, 06:24 AM   #72
SimSimmah
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimSimmah View Post
Thank you sir! Me too.
New CarPlay group buy thread posted here:
https://www.xbimmers.com/forums/show...php?p=24306014

As soon as we hit 10 paid for units or Feb 14 arrives, I'll click to buy. Whichever comes first.

Sorry (again!) for the thread hijack maddog99. I'd still love to see pictures of the finished product and/or some navigation videos.
We're at 8 committed buyers. Anyone else want to jump in and make it the full 10 so I can place the order?
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2019, 11:13 PM   #73
Kraftwerk AG
Major
No_Country
Rep

Check your PM...
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2019, 11:39 AM   #74
igell
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 x5m

id like to jump in.. how do i join the group buy?
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2019, 05:40 AM   #75
KmanOz
Enlisted Member
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2008 E70 3.0d

What is happening with these units. Any updates?
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2019, 07:17 AM   #76
vinnik
Rep
Drives: 123d e87 2011

anyone thought about coding the car to autostart carplay?

hey guys I will receive my unichip carplay box (with wireless carplay) today and try to put it in my car this friday.
I thought about the need to press the "menu" or "8" button every time I start the engine and think its not that comfortable.

So do you guys think it could be possible to code my car that it automatically "presses" the button every time the engine starts? Like this you would start your engine and be right in carplay after a couple seconds. Or cant you code the navigation system or the radio?
Seems a tiny script would do the job - but I have 0 experience with coding cars.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2019, 03:16 PM   #77
vinnik
Rep
Drives: 123d e87 2011

location of the box

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddog99 View Post
Team,

Im one of the forum divers who spends A LOT of time researching options & I thank all of you for the help & posts that get me there.

I have to share that I finally jumped in on the Unichip Apple Carplay box & I could not be more happy. It is a fantastic affordable fully OEM type solution. This is after I got the AVIN unit & returned it (very bad audio) and considered the full CIC upgrade. Glad I didnt do that.

Its a full screen (not boxed off) implementation & is slick as a pig in mud.

Comments on install:
1. Turn down the volume on your aux output thats controlled in idrive. Drop it 2 clicks below mid point. This ensures the audio that comes out is not overdriven (you want the signal low-ish so the amp is boosting quality audio & this does that). Audio I get is as good or better than the BT audio I was enjoying previously.

2. MAKE SURE you have a quality MFI certified cable to connect your phone. If you do all is well, if you dont it will drop & fail (true w/ all carplay head units)

3. The included microphone is great. Ran it to behind my rearview mirror, cant see it at all. WORKS GREAT. but found out in rain today it picks up the wipers too much lol. Need to move a tad...

4. I chose to drop the BT connection of my phone to my BMW now that I have this. If you dont do that, you have to turn off BT when in carplay mode. You cannot have BT & the AUX in going at the same time and not crash on phone calls. But there is no reason for a BT connection if you have carplay & the cable. All calls, music, etc all happen over the cable. No loss in functionality.

5. I love Carplay with the jog dial! Thought Id want touch screen but I dont. I love this as is & like using the idrive to navigate about safely. Super great.

Im often using it with the maps open, doing navigation, while also listening to podcast in background & then dictating texts occassionally as they come in. ALL within Carplay. Love it!!!!

I love having simple SIRI voice control for phone calls, texts, navigation & music. SO SO Great.
where did you put the box if I may ask?
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2019, 09:14 AM   #78
UC_Phillip
Rep
Drives: 2012 X5 35d

I just installed this in my 2012 X5 yesterday. So far, getting CarPlay to turn on holding the menu for 5 seconds has been hit or miss. At times, I can't get back to the normal iDrive U.I. by holding the menu down for a few seconds and I'm stuck at CarPlay until I turn off the car.

Question, what's the best way to read your last messages? When I go to the messages app in CarPlay, I can see the log of my text message chats but when I select one person, Siri asks if I want to send a message but I can't read the last message in that chat.

Thoughts?
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2019, 09:34 AM   #79
Cactus_BMW
Private
Rep
Drives: '08 X5 3.0si

Quote:
Originally Posted by UC_Phillip View Post
I just installed this in my 2012 X5 yesterday. So far, getting CarPlay to turn on holding the menu for 5 seconds has been hit or miss. At times, I can't get back to the normal iDrive U.I. by holding the menu down for a few seconds and I'm stuck at CarPlay until I turn off the car.

Question, what's the best way to read your last messages? When I go to the messages app in CarPlay, I can see the log of my text message chats but when I select one person, Siri asks if I want to send a message but I can't read the last message in that chat.

Thoughts?
You will not be able to physically read text messages in CarPlay. The best you can do is ask Siri to read a message to you ("read me the last message from John"). This is part of the safety aspect of CarPlay. They want your eyes on the road, not the screen.

When you get a new message, If you select the message banner pop-up, Siri will then ask if you would like her to read it to you. Or if you missed that and simply go into the iMessages app, selecting the person who sent the unrest message will bring Siri to the same question-asking you if you want it read to you.

The only way to circumvent this is to reach for your actual phone.
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2019, 07:40 PM   #80
dbronnik
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: N54 E88

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cactus_BMW View Post
You will not be able to physically read text messages in CarPlay. The best you can do is ask Siri to read a message to you ("read me the last message from John"). This is part of the safety aspect of CarPlay. They want your eyes on the road, not the screen.

When you get a new message, If you select the message banner pop-up, Siri will then ask if you would like her to read it to you. Or if you missed that and simply go into the iMessages app, selecting the person who sent the unrest message will bring Siri to the same question-asking you if you want it read to you.

The only way to circumvent this is to reach for your actual phone.
Jail broken iphone + car bridge might be another way to circumvent it

https://carbridgetweak.com/
      09-06-2019, 10:45 AM   #81
RICH_1986
Registered
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW E70 X5 3.0sd

Hi gents, is the offer still open for the group buy on these units?
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2019, 03:17 AM   #82
hoguejl81
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW Z4

Late bloomer would like to purchase !
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2019, 07:26 AM   #83
Spyro235
Captain
Rep
Drives: '10 X5D, '04 330i ZHP

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoguejl81 View Post
Late bloomer would like to purchase !
unichip-tec.com, I used the "Chat" to talk to them and asked for a discount, ended up being right about $400 shipped via DHL, and was at my NJ door in about 3 business days.
      10-24-2019, 03:23 PM   #84
Madmilo
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 E70

Hi all,

After recently purchasing a 2012 E70 X5 I wanted to upgraded the infotainment system as it was the one thing that was lacking compared to some of the other cars we test drove.

After looking around for a bit and doing some research in this and other forums I purchased the Unichip Wireless Carplay Box. $430 USD shipped to NZ.

In regards to install I had this completed by a local company and this was paid for by the car yard as part of the purchase agreement. This was a quick and simple job for them and they were able to install the box behind the glove box so it is hidden yet easily accessible if updates are needed etc...

I have to admit it hasn't all been plain sailing, yet the unichip support has been excellent and they have resolved the main issue I had with echo on phone calls. This required a new software release and this took about a week before it was sent to me.

I now have the full carplay experience on my X5 and has fully enhancement the driving experience. Siri, OEM controls on wheel and iDrive along with iOS13 is pretty awesome.

Many thanks to the early adopters and pioneers who took the risk to purchase this kit and document their journey. Much appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2019, 08:03 PM   #85
CarFan
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 X5 3.5 Premium

Garage List
I checked out their site. Would be great if they could provide some video of the actual operation of the device especially Android Auto.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2019, 08:04 AM   #86
CarFan
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 X5 3.5 Premium

Garage List
Well there are some updates on their website. https://www.unichip-tec.com/h-pd-244...5+e70&_pp=0_35

Clearly shows Android utilization. Question, does this device I've linked still require the use of the Aux input and also does it require a new microphone? (If a new microphone is required, anyone have any issues? Also can the new microphone go in the same place of the old one?)
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2019, 08:57 PM   #87
ebisu8
Dom
United_States
Rep
Drives: Team Schirmer M2 GT

I ordered min last month, installed it and just took it out today. I may have a bad one or something but i had issues with my screen going black intermittently, crackling/static on phone calls and my phone wouldn't/couldn't connect for carplay. I worked with their "support" and it wasn't great at all, no real help other than update the firmware. I did, i still had issues. It was enough for me to take it out all together.
      12-13-2019, 09:50 PM   #88
theultimatej
United_States
Rep
Drives: 22 F90 M5 Comp./ 22 X5M Comp.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebisu8 View Post
I ordered min last month, installed it and just took it out today. I may have a bad one or something but i had issues with my screen going black intermittently, crackling/static on phone calls and my phone wouldn't/couldn't connect for carplay. I worked with their "support" and it wasn't great at all, no real help other than update the firmware. I did, i still had issues. It was enough for me to take it out all together.
Thanks for the update, I’ve been contemplating adding this to both of our cars...
Appreciate 0