XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

08-15-2018, 10:30 AM   #1
PanthersFX
M Performance Class ;)
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMX X5 50i M sport

I am looking to buy at X5m or 50i looking for new owner advice

Hi guys,

Newbie here, figured I'd hit up the BMW forums. Had this posted in the wrong forum ha! I am researching on replacing my Infiniti FX35 and buy a BMW.
Coming from owning my 2nd FX35. I had the both the first and 2nd generation and finding the car very enjoyable and reliable.
Almost 90K on my car and no issues just basic maintenance work and been running without any problems like the day I bought it.
Leaning toward the X5M, when I research the pricing is bit more than the 50i but love the look, speed and styling better. I was shopping Land Rover HSE, Porsche Cayenne turbo and Jeep Cherokee SRT8.
I am seeing several X5M's out there between 70-100K miles going for around $18k to $27k the 50i are going for bit less at $12k to $20K with bit less mileage
Sorry for all the newbie questions will be my first BMW, excited, nervous and scared all at the same time. Coming from owning Japanese cars that are very reliable is a strange place.
I found one locally with 85K miles for around $27K. Owner says its in very good condition.
This bring me to my questions about things to look for and reliability.

1) Reading post after post seems to find that some of the X5ms are more reliable then the 50i is that right? Appears to be some common issue with the 50i

2) Are there any specific issue and concerns look at when shopping for X5m

3) I was considering getting a warranty will they warranty a car that’s 7-8 years old with this higher mileage?

4) Is there a better warranty provider or will BMW still provide it ? (having reading good things about easycare from post)

Thanks for any advice or guidance in advance!!!
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2018, 10:42 AM   #2
X5 MAN
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011X5 50iM-Sport;2016X3 35i M

Welcome to forums., from one newbie to another.

I bought a 2011 50i for $15K , about two months ago. Spent another $4K on it to get it up to speed, so in total it cost me $19K

Still worth it. Drives like a tiger with soothing "growl" .

Be prepared to pour more money into a 7-8 year old Beemer. Unlike Infinity and other Jap and Korean cars, German cars swallow money like a drunk German guzzling down pints of beer at the Munich Octoberfest.

If you drive more on city roads, , V8 is an overkill and will burn your engine and engine bay. V6 would be more suitable.

If you want an Interstate cruiser, V8 is a TIGER.

Last edited by X5 MAN; 08-16-2018 at 08:39 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2018, 11:42 AM   #3
PanthersFX
M Performance Class ;)
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary214 View Post
Welcome to forums., from one newbie to another.

I bought a 2011 50i for $15K , about two months ago. Spent another $4K on it to get it up to speed, so in total it cost me $19K

Still worth it. Drives like a tiger with soothing "growl" .

Be prepared to pour more money into a 7-8 year old Beemer. Unlike Infinity and other Jap and Korean cars, German cars swallow money like a drunken German at Octoberfest.

If you drive more on city roads, , V8 is an overkill and will burn your engine and engine bay. V6 would be more suitable.

If you want an Interstate cruiser, V8 is a TIGER.
Thanks for the feedback. We have mixed driving highway and city. Most of the city roads are 45mph and the highway 70mph+

I was going to search warranty companies to see if anything recommended one of another. Never bought on in the past but sounds like it may be worth my time to look if I am looking at a used X5

Have you had any of the dreaded issue with the N63? I was reading about some law suit settlement just this morning.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2018, 11:51 AM   #4
X5 MAN
Lieutenant
Rep

No issues so far in the 2 months I have owned it. Just had to change a DMTL pump sensor which the dealer said was due to previous owner using low octane and bad gas.

I used Seafoam and Liqui moly fuel stabilizers at every fill up over the 2 months to wash out the bad gas and clean the injectors. All fluids flushed and changed. Car runs like a champ.

Last edited by X5 MAN; 08-16-2018 at 07:48 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2018, 12:31 PM   #5
boneca
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW X5

Garage List
2013 BMW X5M  [10.00]
2011 BMW X5  [10.00]
It's a luck of a draw, really!

S63 engines on X5M are more reliable over all, that's the case if maintenance done properly but you won't really know it for sure even if you have all the records.

You mentioned reliable, low costs etc., all these are not the words to describe owning BMW especially M models!

I never owned Infiniti but I owned several Japanese cars such as Maxima etc., most of them were more "reliable" and less expensive to own!

Now I read about lots of issues with 50i but then again some have those issues and some don't.

Me personally coming from X5 35i in to X5M few years ago was a shocker

Good luck in your research!
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2018, 02:55 PM   #6
X5 MAN
Lieutenant
Rep

>>>You mentioned reliable, low costs etc., all these are not the words to describe owning BMW especially M models!<<<

Sort of like describing Supermodels, Heidi Klum and Giselle Bundchen, as homely and wholesome homemaker

Last edited by X5 MAN; 08-15-2018 at 03:23 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2018, 06:15 PM   #7
PanthersFX
M Performance Class ;)
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary214 View Post
>>>You mentioned reliable, low costs etc., all these are not the words to describe owning BMW especially M models!<<<

Sort of like describing Supermodels, Heidi Klum and Giselle Bundchen, as homely and wholesome homemaker
You sure about that I am sure Tom Brady would not agree
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2018, 06:20 PM   #8
PanthersFX
M Performance Class ;)
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by boneca View Post
It's a luck of a draw, really!

S63 engines on X5M are more reliable over all, that's the case if maintenance done properly but you won't really know it for sure even if you have all the records.

You mentioned reliable, low costs etc., all these are not the words to describe owning BMW especially M models!

I never owned Infiniti but I owned several Japanese cars such as Maxima etc., most of them were more "reliable" and less expensive to own!

Now I read about lots of issues with 50i but then again some have those issues and some don't.

Me personally coming from X5 35i in to X5M few years ago was a shocker

Good luck in your research!
Is there a thread somewhere that covers the typical recommended maintenance schedule by mileage that I can compare owners records to?
For example for my Infiniti there is very minimal things like spark plugs and serpentine belt at 105K fluid changes at 60K etc.
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2018, 12:33 PM   #9
PanthersFX
M Performance Class ;)
United_States
Rep

Had some time today and went and test drove a 2013 X5 with M sport package and a 2011 X5M. Thought I would share my experience. I Test drove the non M X5 first as someone had suggested and was impressed with the pickup of the engine and overall handling. The X5M ended up being a short test drive as I went to turn out on the main street from the dealer the car had an engine malfunction pop up and say Engine Malfunction - Reduced Power message on the dash as Limped back to the dealer.
I did get to feel some of the power on the first full throttle and it’s got some punch to it but you can tell that the car is very heavy.
I still like the X5M a bit more but little mixed as the standard X5 had a good amount punch itself but was a bit sluggish when compared to the X5M. You really had to mash the pedal to get the X5 to move. Also noticed that the interior carbon fiber scratched easier than in that of the wood on the X5, at least that’s what I noticed between the 2 cars. I maybe that the owner of the X5m did not take good care of the car. Overall very interesting experience as I dive into the BMW world.
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2018, 12:44 PM   #10
do_0b
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2010 X6 M

Garage List
2010 BMW X6M  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by PanthersFX View Post
Also noticed that the interior carbon fiber scratched easier than in that of the wood on the X5, at least that’s what I noticed between the 2 cars. I maybe that the owner of the X5m did not take good care of the car. Overall very interesting experience as I dive into the BMW world.
Most likely the previous owner didnt take good care of it. My 2010 X6M has carbon fibre and still looks good. What you can do also is always vinyl wrap it. I might do that later on when/if the carbon starts to look bad.
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2018, 01:36 PM   #11
boneca
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW X5

Garage List
2013 BMW X5M  [10.00]
2011 BMW X5  [10.00]
Quote:
Is there a thread somewhere that covers the typical recommended maintenance schedule by mileage that I can compare owners records to?
For example for my Infiniti there is very minimal things like spark plugs and serpentine belt at 105K fluid changes at 60K etc.
I'm sure there is but I'm having hard time locating it at the moment...

Quote:
Originally Posted by do_0b View Post
Most likely the previous owner didnt take good care of it. My 2010 X6M has carbon fibre and still looks good. What you can do also is always vinyl wrap it. I might do that later on when/if the carbon starts to look bad.
I had carbon fiber trim in mine and it was good, no issues, the only issue I had I got tired of it! I like carbon fiber but not the one used in our cars. I ended up selling mine and had a wrap put in with different kind of carbon fiber.
So yes its all goes back to the original owner!

Not too many X5M owners are not taking care of their cars but then there are some, ask me how I know...
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2018, 06:38 AM   #12
Molez93
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z4M, 2001 740i

Quote:
I found this thread helpful when I was looking for my X5M last year.
https://www.xbimmers.com/forums/show....php?t=1379182

The tech editor for Roundel, the BMW Car Club magazine, recommends Zurich for aftermarket warranties on our BMWs given what he has heard from shop owners and mechanics.

I expected to average ~$4k per year in repairs for my '10 with 100k miles. Actual costs in year one for me were more like $2k.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2018, 07:34 AM   #13
X5 MAN
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Molez93 View Post
I found this thread helpful when I was looking for my X5M last year.
https://www.xbimmers.com/forums/show....php?t=1379182

The tech editor for Roundel, the BMW Car Club magazine, recommends Zurich for aftermarket warranties on our BMWs given what he has heard from shop owners and mechanics.

I expected to average ~$4k per year in repairs for my '10 with 100k miles. Actual costs in year one for me were more like $2k.
Buying a used BMW of 6-8 years vintage is like rolling the dice at Las Vegas

You can reduce the odds of being underwater by following the few basic common sense steps :

1) Take a long test drive of at least a 100 miles instead of just the small one exit loop the dealer usually takes you.Stress the car by flooring the pedal . Offer to pay for the gas. Better still ask the car to be loaned to you for a week on a rental basis.

2) Pay a Indy mechanic a couple of hundred dollars to fully scope out your vehicle including scoping the engine after jacking it up .

3) See if it passes inspection in your state. Use the one week no-questions return policy of Auto Nation to get it inspected by your State DOT tester . Same time you could get it scoped by your Indy mechanic.

4) Carfax and service history are dubious and inclusive at best.

If dealer refuses any of the above, walk away
Appreciate 0