XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

07-07-2018, 02:10 PM   #1
chris604
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X5 M

Raced my X5M using Launch Control. Now runs very rough!

Just got my 2010 X5M back from the dealer, as they were doing an insurance claim on it from mice eating the hoses, LOL. Couldnt resist, so I tried launch control, and it took off like a rocket. But, when I got to the next stop light, it almost stalled and started running horribly rough. Took about 10 minutes, then the Engine light came on. Drove it home, and at highway speeds, ran perfectly. But every time it went to a stoplight, it would almost stall. OBD2 reader shows the following codes:

P112F
P0306 - had this b4. misfire on cylinder 6. The dealer said just to 'monitor' the situation, and maybe change coils and plugs on it later on?!!
P0303 - misfire cylinder 3. They said they swapped coils on cylinder 3 with 6 and the problem started on cylinder 3. Leftover code probably?
P0174
P0171
U0100 - lost control with computer?? That one worries me.

Also, it's making a squeaking sound, like a bad belt or worn pulley or something? Didn't do that when I picked up from the dealer.

I'm also just thinking that a mouse chewed some other hoses, and that's making it run rough like that. (At least I hope, then the insurance would cover it.)
Would it be engine damage?

Any ideas on this one?

Thanks!!!
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2018, 01:08 AM   #2
chris604
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Could it be a blown turbo, or anything inside the engine making this loud screeching sound?

Video here:
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2018, 01:41 AM   #3
X Driver
Second Lieutenant
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: X5M Black Fire Edition

Oh sh*t, that sounds horrible.. would not drive it until you know why it sounds like this.. could be a turbo, could be something else..
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2018, 02:18 AM   #4
yco
i'm just saying
Rep
Drives: E71 X6M '10 (sold)

if you can post a vid it ll be better chris..
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2018, 09:44 AM   #5
mirob
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3CX

I've had that before...one of the vent pipes was severed in half. Check them first.
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2018, 09:59 AM   #6
9vapors
Major
Rep
Drives: CB X5M

That sounds like some metal on metal scariness...
Appreciate 1
      07-10-2018, 11:32 AM   #7
chris604
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by yco View Post
if you can post a vid it ll be better chris..
Hey. I posted a quick 10 sec. video above. Can you see it? Is it internal do you think?
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2018, 12:00 PM   #8
frankenm
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 12' X5M, 99 M3

Sounds like one or multiple pulleys are gone.

Take this to an Indy shop

Do not continue to run the engine at all
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2018, 12:37 PM   #9
chris604
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankenm View Post
Sounds like one or multiple pulleys are gone.

Take this to an Indy shop

Do not continue to run the engine at all
I took off the serpentine belt, and the pulleys seem ok. Like no binding or noise, by spinning by hand. Belt looks new. Noise seems to be louder on passenger side on the front of the engine.

Plus, I read the codes on OBD2 reader, and now there's new codes misfires on cylinder 1, 2, 3 as well as 6. And, 1,2,3 are on the passenger side, I believe.

Last edited by chris604; 07-10-2018 at 01:40 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2018, 10:53 PM   #10
TheVazha
Major
Rep
Drives: X5Mmmkay.

Pop off the engine cover. Right where you were playing the video, behind the oil cap closer to the cabin, you'll see a plastic ribbed hose sitting on top of the engine block. Examine it closely.

Thank me tomorrow.
      07-12-2018, 03:46 AM   #11
yco
i'm just saying
Rep
Drives: E71 X6M '10 (sold)

this doesnt sound like a turbo issue..

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVazha View Post
Pop off the engine cover. Right where you were playing the video, behind the oil cap closer to the cabin, you'll see a plastic ribbed hose sitting on top of the engine block. Examine it closely.

Thank me tomorrow.
might be this actually..
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2018, 12:28 PM   #12
frankenm
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 12' X5M, 99 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by yco View Post
this doesnt sound like a turbo issue..

might be this actually..
If you listen closely you can hear some turbo wobble in addition to the horrible sxreech, I have the same happening on mine that has progressively gotten worse over time and I believe is the cause of some engine malfunctions I’ve been getting.
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2018, 06:44 AM   #13
Thecastle
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F10 550i

Garage List
2020 BMW M340i  [0.00]
2019 RAM 3500  [0.00]
2020 BMW X3  [0.00]
2016 BMW 550i  [0.00]
2000 Ford F450 7.3l ...  [0.00]
I’ve had this exact issue. It’s one of the Ccv vent pipes. It’s not major, you have a vacuum leak is why it’s running rough and you hear the whistling

All the plastic lines in an x5 turn crispy with age. Welcome to replacement of all plastic engine parts. It’s most likely the rigged vent hose under the engine cover. Cheap and an easy diy.

I’ve now replaced all ccv lines due to failure, and the filtered air ducts. Ccv lines are under an extended warranty. Filtered air ducts are about 700 for parts. I’ve been replacing one failed part after another, and the oil,leaks.

Car is broken now and awaiting approval of 7k in warranty repairs. After spending about 12k since last November. Basically been replacing every oil seal, one seal at a time under warranty along with all plastic vent lines.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2018, 10:56 PM   #14
chris604
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:

Thank me tomorrow.
Lol. Yep. It was right behind the oil filler tube. And it was the 90 deg connector to the hose
You mentioned. It was loose and if you straighten it the
Noise goes away. If you move it again it comes back. So I
Might as well replace the whole thing Im guessing?

Thanks man!!
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2018, 11:53 PM   #15
TheVazha
Major
Rep
Drives: X5Mmmkay.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris604 View Post
Quote:

Thank me tomorrow.
Lol. Yep. It was right behind the oil filler tube. And it was the 90 deg connector to the hose
You mentioned. It was loose and if you straighten it the
Noise goes away. If you move it again it comes back. So I
Might as well replace the whole thing Im guessing?

Thanks man!!
Ha! Amazing, we both win!

Ok so I would examine this hose. When you move the connector you're probably sandwiching the crack in the hose and that's why the noise goes away. If the hose looks good and it's the connector, then you have to replace that. Although I'm pretty sure they sell it as an assembly anyway.

I hear you, the metal on metal noise is jarring. But luckily it's just a stupid hose.
      08-09-2018, 04:39 PM   #16
chris604
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Ha! Amazing, we both win!

Ok so I would examine this hose. When you move the connector you're probably sandwiching the crack in the hose and that's why the noise goes away. If the hose looks good and it's the connector, then you have to replace that. Although I'm pretty sure they sell it as an assembly anyway.

I hear you, the metal on metal noise is jarring. But luckily it's just a stupid hose.
Ok. thanks again. Also, any idea how to unhook those connectors? It has a painted white line on it, so looks like someone was in there before unhooking things. Tried to squeeze the connectors by hand as it looks like it should just unhook like that.
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2018, 07:57 PM   #17
chris604
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris604 View Post
Ok. thanks again. Also, any idea how to unhook those connectors? It has a painted white line on it, so looks like someone was in there before unhooking things. Tried to squeeze the connectors by hand as it looks like it should just unhook like that.
Ah. The hose is basically broken. But, it goes deep into the bottom of the engine. Any way to fix that easily at all?
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2020, 07:39 PM   #18
chris604
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thecastle View Post
I’ve had this exact issue. It’s one of the Ccv vent pipes. It’s not major, you have a vacuum leak is why it’s running rough and you hear the whistling

All the plastic lines in an x5 turn crispy with age. Welcome to replacement of all plastic engine parts. It’s most likely the rigged vent hose under the engine cover. Cheap and an easy diy.

I’ve now replaced all ccv lines due to failure, and the filtered air ducts. Ccv lines are under an extended warranty. Filtered air ducts are about 700 for parts. I’ve been replacing one failed part after another, and the oil,leaks.

Car is broken now and awaiting approval of 7k in warranty repairs. After spending about 12k since last November. Basically been replacing every oil seal, one seal at a time under warranty along with all plastic vent lines.
Now, my M is starting to leak quite a bit of oil, like on the passenger side, looks like oil spray near where those ribbed plastic hoses are. I replaced only one that goes basically up near the oil filler down the side of the engine. Where can I get those hoses online? Realoem.com doesn't show them, not sure of part numbers? Anyone have those #s? Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2020, 09:46 AM   #19
Colodano
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2010 X5M

See Post #6 and #8, replace all of that stuff.

https://www.xbimmers.com/forums/show....php?t=1413583
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2020, 01:43 PM   #20
chris604
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colodano View Post

Cool, will do. Thanks for that.

Also, it is really blowing smoke up from the engine when I run it hard, like completely noticable, not so much on normal driving. I'm just assuming its those hoses, that I didn't bother to replace yet. But, could it be something serious, like valve cover gasket? As, it's only smoking on passenger side. But then again, I do see lots of oil on the top of the engine like it has been sprayed around, so most likely oil is leaking out of some of those hoses, and gets sprayed when I drive it super hard?? Then, its dripping down onto the headers, or exhaust manifold, etc.?

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2020, 01:45 PM   #21
chris604
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colodano View Post

Also, it keeps giving me the low oil warning, like it's in the red line. But, would the engine just not start if it's actually low enough to damage it? I swear I saw a message on the main screen saying that 'oil level is high enough to start the engine, but measurement will be done when engine is running' or something like that. LOL. I am getting tired of filling up the oil.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2020, 11:11 AM   #22
Colodano
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2010 X5M

So have you added a bunch of oil, and not driven it until you got a measurement?

If unsure on level to that point, I would suggest to just drain the oil, and add fresh in the approximate amount, and then start it up and idle until you get a reading. Good time to check the filter for any signs of debris or damage as well.
Appreciate 0