XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

04-22-2018, 08:20 AM   #45
pjfox23
Private
Rep
Drives: X5 35i, X5M

I had a chance to speak to module builder this morning.

I asked if this module and wheel will work in M versions of e70.

He stated,

Quote:
Unfortunatelly is not possible without the Exx NBT adapter and an NBT headunit installed in car.

So, I'm out. I will uninstall this module and put back the original wheel today. Good soldering practice...sigh.

I want to follow up for anyone else thinking of doing this mode. Be aware of the following:

You will most likely need the NBT retrofit and the NBT retrofit module. Two additional parts.

It is a fair amount of wiring. Took me about 2 hours start to finish.

The cost of the F10, full option wheel and module is a good amount.

I'm not sure it looks all that much better, honestly. But, that could be my own bias (especially since I won't get it to work).

Last edited by pjfox23; 04-22-2018 at 08:26 AM..
Appreciate 1
boneca1996.50
      04-22-2018, 09:13 AM   #46
boneca
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW X5

Garage List
2013 BMW X5M  [10.00]
2011 BMW X5  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by pjfox23 View Post
I had a chance to speak to module builder this morning.

I asked if this module and wheel will work in M versions of e70.

He stated,

So, I'm out. I will uninstall this module and put back the original wheel today. Good soldering practice...sigh.

I want to follow up for anyone else thinking of doing this mode. Be aware of the following:

You will most likely need the NBT retrofit and the NBT retrofit module. Two additional parts.

It is a fair amount of wiring. Took me about 2 hours start to finish.

The cost of the F10, full option wheel and module is a good amount.

I'm not sure it looks all that much better, honestly. But, that could be my own bias (especially since I won't get it to work).
Thank you for doing practical research, u probably just saved me $2+

I never noticed that everyone who did this retrofit had NBT done already (all?) I will have to check on that! I remember talking to car systems few months ago and I'm pretty sure I mentioned I had X5M but I don't recall NBT conversation at all!

Not looking for doing NBT as I'm pretty happy with my ///AVIN unit, so we'll see...

Thanks again
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2018, 11:57 AM   #47
pjfox23
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by boneca View Post

Not looking for doing NBT as I'm pretty happy with my ///AVIN unit, so we'll see...
Same here. I have the AVIN and no desire to put more money into screens/navs.

It could be that car systems module is different; I will take some pics today.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2018, 01:44 PM   #48
pjfox23
Private
Rep

Upon further inspection, something happened with one of the on-board computers. I replaced the KOMBI fuse, and the wipers now work, and the instrument cluster now works.

With the Fxx wheel on there, the buttons now work. Still no M buttons though.

So, slight update, you can add the wheel on F10 wheel on e70 X5M - just don't expect the M button to work unless you have NBT retrofit. At least, that's my experience.

If anyone knows a way around this, please let me know.

Last edited by pjfox23; 04-22-2018 at 02:41 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2018, 02:42 PM   #49
boneca
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW X5M  [10.00]
2011 BMW X5  [10.00]
Quote:
Upon further inspection, something happened with one of the on-board computers. I replaced the KOMBI fuse, and the wipers now work, and the instrument cluster now works.

So, slight update, you can add the wheel on F10 wheel on e70 X5M - just don't expect the M button to work unless you have NBT retrofit. At least, that's my experience.
I guess this is better news but if M button doesn't work its still not good, I don't think u want to drive M car without M capabilities...
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2018, 07:41 PM   #50
-c-
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: bmw

Yikes! Sorry to hear the issues.

Mine went flawlessly but I bought mine from carsystems and had their support.

They wrote special code for my M buttons so I can use them as "multifunction" buttons.

So my M1 button operates my heated steering wheel option and the steering wheel vibrates once for on and twice for off. Kind of nice.

My M2 button operates my recirculating option like my old steering wheel had. Otherwise all other buttons work as they should.

I will point out though that the first module received from them was incorrect and had to swap it for another one due to the can bus.

I had to use Skype app and contacted carsystems support directly and their engineer had made me custom code that was updatable by their usb dongle they sent me.

Otherwise everything went well.
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2018, 06:27 AM   #51
0-60Motorsports
Brigadier General
Bahrain
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 JB 04 Coupe

Quote:
I guess this is better news but if M button doesn't work its still not good, I don't think u want to drive M car without M capabilities...
This...will be going for the E70 X5M performance steering wheel in the future.
2011 VW Golf R DSG White/Black
IG: @060Motorsports
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2018, 07:10 AM   #52
boneca
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW X5M  [10.00]
2011 BMW X5  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 0-60Motorsports View Post
Quote:
those are awesome!
I just sold mine another day but used it for more than 2 years and loved it
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2018, 07:13 AM   #53
0-60Motorsports
Brigadier General
Bahrain
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 JB 04 Coupe

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by 0-60Motorsports View Post
Quote:
those are awesome!
I just sold mine another day but used it for more than 2 years and loved it
Excellent, I wish I could find a cheap worn one so I can recover it in leather as alcantara is not practical for me for DD.
2011 VW Golf R DSG White/Black
IG: @060Motorsports
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2018, 02:28 PM   #54
-c-
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Yea sorry things didn't go super smooth, this is all relatively new stuff anyhow. Give it some more time and I'm sure they will have a way to make it 100% functional without having to buy more stuff.

They made mine work without the NBT retrofit. But I already had it from bimmer retrofit and the two don't talk to each other.

Also mines not an M so I just use the M1 and M2 buttons as "M"ultifuntion buttons . Ones for heat and ones for recirculate
Appreciate 1
      08-07-2018, 03:46 PM   #55
ZFRED10
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 X5

Would this procedure be the same for installing an F15 M sport package steering wheel in a 2013 M sport package x5? (there would be no M buttons, only paddle shifters.

From This:

To This:
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2018, 03:57 PM   #56
boneca
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW X5M  [10.00]
2011 BMW X5  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZFRED10 View Post
Would this procedure be the same for installing an F15 M sport package steering wheel in a 2013 M sport package x5? (there would be no M buttons, only paddle shifters.

From This:

To This:
F15/F16/F85/F86 steering wheels won't fit E70/E71

look in to F10
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2018, 04:41 PM   #57
-c-
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZFRED10 View Post

From This:

To This:
F15/F16/F85/F86 steering wheels won't fit E70/E71

look in to F10
Yes that design wheel will fit without the M buttons.

Need f10 style wheel however.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2019, 03:35 PM   #58
MikeDrop
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW X5 xDrive35D

Well, installed this yesterday..... Waiting till Monday to speak to Car Systems about their fXX to eXX steering wheel adaptor, since nothing is working for now...
Even without any buttons working, I still love the feel of the new steering wheel when comparing it to the standard one...

Appreciate 0
      01-05-2019, 03:42 PM   #59
boneca
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW X5M  [10.00]
2011 BMW X5  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeDrop View Post
Well, installed this yesterday..... Waiting till Monday to speak to Car Systems about their fXX to eXX steering wheel adaptor, since nothing is working for now...
Even without any buttons working, I still love the feel of the new steering wheel when comparing it to the standard one...

any reason why u went with Pre LCI f10 steering wheel? its almost the same as E70 wheel!
also from what I learned you will need NBT conversion in order for f10 steering wheel to work in E70 car
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2019, 09:08 PM   #60
MikeDrop
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW X5 xDrive35D

Quote:
any reason why u went with Pre LCI f10 steering wheel? its almost the same as E70 wheel!
also from what I learned you will need NBT conversion in order for f10 steering wheel to work in E70 car
I had the basic e70 steering wheel so I was happy with any change... luckily my friend was upgrading his wheel, so I got this one for $350 altogether with the airbag installed and programmed. My friend installed the f10 m5 steering in his 7 series, but I'm not so sure it fits that good in the X5, it seemed a little to skinny with the controls. I kind of like the look of this one better on the X.

Now, to make all the buttons work, looks like there are adapters from Fxx to Exx retrofits without the need of installing the NBT, worst case scenario, if those don't work, I will have to resolder some connections to make it work...

This weekend was busy with the Andoid 10.25 installation and SSD upgrade, and driving without the steering wheel controls is not a PITA yet
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2019, 07:31 AM   #61
boneca
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW X5M  [10.00]
2011 BMW X5  [10.00]
Quote:
I had the basic e70 steering wheel so I was happy with any change... luckily my friend was upgrading his wheel, so I got this one for $350 altogether with the airbag installed and programmed. My friend installed the f10 m5 steering in his 7 series, but I'm not so sure it fits that good in the X5, it seemed a little to skinny with the controls. I kind of like the look of this one better on the X.

Now, to make all the buttons work, looks like there are adapters from Fxx to Exx retrofits without the need of installing the NBT, worst case scenario, if those don't work, I will have to resolder some connections to make it work...

This weekend was busy with the Andoid 10.25 installation and SSD upgrade, and driving without the steering wheel controls is not a PITA yet

I hear you and in that case I understand, I would still prefer to upgrade to new E70 M wheel instead, this is what I did back in 2011 X5 I owned, as for adapter, I hope you right but not from my research, yes you need the adapter but adapter might not work if you haven't converted to NBT unit.

Good luck with your projects!
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2019, 10:47 AM   #62
Oren1583
Registered
Rep
Drives: E70 4.8i X5 2009

How is the adapter from car system and to code it from them
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2019, 02:21 PM   #63
-c-
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

I hear you and in that case I understand, I would still prefer to upgrade to new E70 M wheel instead, this is what I did back in 2011 X5 I owned, as for adapter, I hope you right but not from my research, yes you need the adapter but adapter might not work if you haven't converted to NBT unit.

Good luck with your projects!
Hey boneca I just wanted to chime in, I had a small error on my NBT and had to send it back to bimmer retrofit and installed my factory system until it got fixed and returned to me.

And happy to report the steering wheel controls still work like a charm without the NBT system.

So it is possible. You just need the right adapter. The adapter they sent me had more wiring than the first one they sent me as they found out it was wrong. But with the right one it works with and without the NBT

Appreciate 0
      01-25-2019, 10:07 PM   #64
pjfox23
Private
Rep

I was excited to see more action in this thread, but I think we are treading the same ground as above. It's the case the upgrade will work with the module for regular e70. But, for the X5M, it's a no go for the M button to work on the new wheel without NBT. Unless there is some new module or something I don't know about ??
Appreciate 1
boneca1996.50
      01-26-2019, 09:54 AM   #65
boneca
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW X5M  [10.00]
2011 BMW X5  [10.00]
Quote:
I was excited to see more action in this thread, but I think we are treading the same ground as above. It's the case the upgrade will work with the module for regular e70. But, for the X5M, it's a no go for the M button to work on the new wheel without NBT. Unless there is some new module or something I don't know about ??
good point!
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2019, 06:29 AM   #66
-c-
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Well the NBT retrofit is not needed regardless. That was a rumor and started probably because of improper installation or wrong module.

It's worked on mine with and without the NBT installed.

Now for the M button I had both my M buttons activated through special software update from the manufacture of the module

The m1 button turns on the heated wheel with a vibration 2 vibrations it's off

The m2 button turns on recirculate.

To me the M buttons are just multifunction

But the point is the manufacturer was able to write code that made the buttons work.

So it may be possible but I'd contact the manufacturer.
Appreciate 0