XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

04-06-2024, 10:07 AM   #1
alexaedita
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW X5 30I

Recently Purchased X5 Mech. Questions and Advise

Hello fine people and fellow BMW owners on this forum.

I am a new person here, please take it easy on me, I do not know much and really everyone's input would be definitely appreciated. I reside in Logan, UTAH.

Recently I acquired a 2010 BMW X5 30I with 118K on it. Interior and exterior on this car is simple phenomenal considering the vehicle age, but some mechanical items have to be changed/repaired/upgraded.
My intention is to keep this car in a very good working condition for the next 5 years and use it as a local family car (5k a year roughly) and take it easy on it.

Both serpentine belts were old and cracking on this car, so I replaced those. (AC belt, Alternator Belt). I have done radiator flush and fluid replacement, same with power steering fluid.
Next on my menu is a transfer case VTG leak/sip. Mechanic wants 1600$ for this repair. I am inclined to get it done, since this is essential part for all wheel drive system to function properly. I have purchased BIMMERCODE and BIMMERLINK apps and can see that there is a sensor warning code for transfer case oil wear. I guess the only question is if the price mechanic proposing is reasonable or not.

Besides that, there is no clear record of when the spark plugs or/and transmission fluid has been changed the last time on this vehicle. Previous owner have kept this car for 17K miles and only did breaks on it and nothing else. Experian Carcheck and Carfax show services being done to this car at regular intervals by the 1st owner (I am being the 3rd) for up to 100K, but the verbiage for those services is very vague. I wouldn't have a problem doing both of those things for the good of the car, but the transmission fluid change is very pricy. Mechanic claims that he needs to purchase 9 liters of special trans. fluid which is like 90$ a liter from BMW. So, it might end up being a 1000$ investment for me. Spark plugs are cheaper (400-500$ out of the door), I think I will just invest in them and put them in. Could you please make an input on these costs and repairs? Also, what data can I use/extract from BIMMERLINK APP to see if any of these repairs are needed? The only error codes that I see on this car right now are A6CF/E729 (AUC SENSOR - signal or value above threshold/signal or value implausible) and the transfer case oil wear one.

Thank you for reading my long post.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2024, 11:47 PM   #2
TTV8M
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '23 AMG GLE53, '10 X6M

Garage List
2023 AMG GLE53  [0.00]
2010 BMW X6M  [0.00]
2008 Mini Cooper S  [0.00]
Congrats on the purchase. The prices see very high. Call your local bmw dealer and ask how many are your transmission takes and what their price is. Gotta shop the prices these days. Can't really trust anyone.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2024, 12:28 AM   #3
StradaRedlands
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW 330i MT

Garage List
2006 BMW 330i  [8.21]
2009 BMW 328i Touri ...  [7.90]
2013 BMW X5 35i  [7.63]
2011 BMW 528i  [8.75]
2006 Mazda3  [5.50]
Hi alexaedita! I bet the good upkeep from the first owner will really pay off! So, here are some basic recommendations and thoughts.

Number one: If you have a place, learn to start doing your own work! These 15 year old cars need a lot of things done on them, and they are all due right NOW! None of them are hard (oil pan gasket the exception) but time consuming. I don't have a garage, but do all my work in a driveway and it's fine. The money saved will buy you some hella' nice tools!

First up: Transmission service. Presume it hasn't been done. Should be done every 60k miles/100k km. I paid $800 a few years ago, so a quote of $1k now seems legit. Probably not a newbie's job, so paying someone is fine. Make sure it includes new filter which the pan needs to be dropped for.

Transfer case and differentials: do them, but this could be a DIY job. And if you get them done at the same time as the transmission, should only be $500 or so as they are VERY easy jobs! This is NOT a $1,600 job!!!! That doesn't make sense based on the quote for trans service, which definitely takes more work/time. You're supposed to reset the adaption when you change the fluid, so you'll need a app to do that.

Brake fluid and coolant fluid. Maybe DIY, but if not, shouldn't be pricey. Get BMW coolant! Or at least BMW specific formula if you get Peak or whatever at Walmart. It ends up being about the same price as BMW coolant, so might as well get the right stuff. Re-read your post, so see this is already done... great!

Oil filter housing gasket & Mickey Mouse flange. Your engine is a N52 engine, and has a propensity to oil leaks. The most common and easiest fixed is at the oil filter housing. Look at your engine, and if you see a layer of oil/dirt in the front under the oil filter cap, it needs to be replaced. The square radiator brick think in front of that is the oil cooler, and it has a second gasket that is a little longer lived, but might as well do at the same time. The flange is where the coolant hose goes into the engine block right below the cooler/filter. If it's aluminum you're good, if plastic, it needs to be replaced. All the above are what I consider fun jobs, but I'm weird like that. Anyway, not hard, but study up on them and see if in your wheelhouse when needed.

Plugs and coils. Plugs are due, might as well replace presuming they haven't been done. Coils are fine until they aren't. You're at the mileage where they can start going. Some people replace just the bad one, some replace all. Be prepared and know what to get. Easy DIY job, don't pay someone to do this!

Valve cover gasket. Start watching for leak beginning with light misting below the gasket (between the spark plugs and the exhaust on the side of the engine). Eventually will need to be replaced. I've found the valvetronic motor gasket is often the cause of what I presumed was a valve cover leak.

Water pump: Probably fine. Keep an eye on codes for pump/thermostat/temp sensor. It's an electronic pump and a 2010 should have the updated one. Seems like failure comes out of nowhere, but I believe it'll throw codes before. Not hard, not easy job. Messy though. Pierburg is the go-to for replacements.

Control arms: E70s are heavy vehicles, the front control arms go first, and everything else follows. Not a BMW specific problem, just regular maintenance.

Check the brake pads and rotors. I recommend Akebono pads and Ate rotors. YMMV.

Get some gummi pflege and treat all the rubber gaskets. There are three layers on gaskets on the door/sill, plus engine bay, around windows, hatch, etc. This will significantly prolong their lives!

Ignore the AUC sensor, it's kind of a joke feature that closes the vent when it senses smells. Yeah.

Buy the Bimmercode/link apps or Bimmergeek's Protool. Just do it.

Your X5 has BMW's last naturally aspirated motor in their last "analog" chassis. Savor that and enjoy it! Everything is pretty easy to work on, parts are readily available, and there isa sizable community of owners that like working on these!

Find a really good mechanic. Honest, and willing to figure out the problem, not just throw parts at it. Avoid the dealer. Not because of price, but they don't want to mess with your old vehicle and they are terrible at diagnosing problems.

Buy the best fluids and parts you can. Original BMW, Redline, Liqui Moly, Pierburg, Lemforder, etc. Yeah, they're expensive, but so is a new car payment!

All the above doesn't have to be done immediately! It's literally fine to put them off. But most of the above is considered regular maintenance, and presume it's already been deferred a bit, so you should definitely get going on updating it!

Do stuff to your vehicle, post pictures of it, ask questions! This is a COMMUNITY and the more people on it, the better it is!

Last edited by StradaRedlands; 04-18-2024 at 12:37 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2024, 06:41 AM   #4
alexaedita
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW X5 30I

Quote:
Originally Posted by StradaRedlands View Post
Hi alexaedita! I bet the good upkeep from the first owner will really pay off! So, here are some basic recommendations and thoughts.

Number one: If you have a place, learn to start doing your own work! These 15 year old cars need a lot of things done on them, and they are all due right NOW! None of them are hard (oil pan gasket the exception) but time consuming. I don't have a garage, but do all my work in a driveway and it's fine. The money saved will buy you some hella' nice tools!

First up: Transmission service. Presume it hasn't been done. Should be done every 60k miles/100k km. I paid $800 a few years ago, so a quote of $1k now seems legit. Probably not a newbie's job, so paying someone is fine. Make sure it includes new filter which the pan needs to be dropped for.

Transfer case and differentials: do them, but this could be a DIY job. And if you get them done at the same time as the transmission, should only be $500 or so as they are VERY easy jobs! This is NOT a $1,600 job!!!! That doesn't make sense based on the quote for trans service, which definitely takes more work/time. You're supposed to reset the adaption when you change the fluid, so you'll need a app to do that.

Brake fluid and coolant fluid. Maybe DIY, but if not, shouldn't be pricey. Get BMW coolant! Or at least BMW specific formula if you get Peak or whatever at Walmart. It ends up being about the same price as BMW coolant, so might as well get the right stuff. Re-read your post, so see this is already done... great!

Oil filter housing gasket & Mickey Mouse flange. Your engine is a N52 engine, and has a propensity to oil leaks. The most common and easiest fixed is at the oil filter housing. Look at your engine, and if you see a layer of oil/dirt in the front under the oil filter cap, it needs to be replaced. The square radiator brick think in front of that is the oil cooler, and it has a second gasket that is a little longer lived, but might as well do at the same time. The flange is where the coolant hose goes into the engine block right below the cooler/filter. If it's aluminum you're good, if plastic, it needs to be replaced. All the above are what I consider fun jobs, but I'm weird like that. Anyway, not hard, but study up on them and see if in your wheelhouse when needed.

Plugs and coils. Plugs are due, might as well replace presuming they haven't been done. Coils are fine until they aren't. You're at the mileage where they can start going. Some people replace just the bad one, some replace all. Be prepared and know what to get. Easy DIY job, don't pay someone to do this!

Valve cover gasket. Start watching for leak beginning with light misting below the gasket (between the spark plugs and the exhaust on the side of the engine). Eventually will need to be replaced. I've found the valvetronic motor gasket is often the cause of what I presumed was a valve cover leak.

Water pump: Probably fine. Keep an eye on codes for pump/thermostat/temp sensor. It's an electronic pump and a 2010 should have the updated one. Seems like failure comes out of nowhere, but I believe it'll throw codes before. Not hard, not easy job. Messy though. Pierburg is the go-to for replacements.

Control arms: E70s are heavy vehicles, the front control arms go first, and everything else follows. Not a BMW specific problem, just regular maintenance.

Check the brake pads and rotors. I recommend Akebono pads and Ate rotors. YMMV.

Get some gummi pflege and treat all the rubber gaskets. There are three layers on gaskets on the door/sill, plus engine bay, around windows, hatch, etc. This will significantly prolong their lives!

Ignore the AUC sensor, it's kind of a joke feature that closes the vent when it senses smells. Yeah.

Buy the Bimmercode/link apps or Bimmergeek's Protool. Just do it.

Your X5 has BMW's last naturally aspirated motor in their last "analog" chassis. Savor that and enjoy it! Everything is pretty easy to work on, parts are readily available, and there isa sizable community of owners that like working on these!

Find a really good mechanic. Honest, and willing to figure out the problem, not just throw parts at it. Avoid the dealer. Not because of price, but they don't want to mess with your old vehicle and they are terrible at diagnosing problems.

Buy the best fluids and parts you can. Original BMW, Redline, Liqui Moly, Pierburg, Lemforder, etc. Yeah, they're expensive, but so is a new car payment!

All the above doesn't have to be done immediately! It's literally fine to put them off. But most of the above is considered regular maintenance, and presume it's already been deferred a bit, so you should definitely get going on updating it!

Do stuff to your vehicle, post pictures of it, ask questions! This is a COMMUNITY and the more people on it, the better it is!

Hello, and thanks for reply.

However, since this post is not that fresh anymore and I got most of my responses on another forum I have already done some work on this car with the trustworthy mech I have found.

Here's some of my Reponses/repairs and costs from another forum. You are welcome to read them. I still appreciate your input.

https://www.bimmerfest.com/threads/r...dvise.1465969/
Appreciate 1