XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

10-13-2022, 02:07 AM   #1
LR2012X5E70
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW X5

X5 Various Issues Advice

I have a 2012 X5 xdrive35i (e79). A few months ago I was involved in a minor collision that damaged the front left fender, quarter panel, and wheel well. Aside from a proximity sensor and fog light wire being torn, all other damage was cosmetic. I did not immediately repair this damage, but anything loose was well secured and everything was fine for well over a month. One day I felt a shutter and the RPM jumped and the car shuttered and thought it was breaking down. Then, just as quickly, everything went back to normal and ran completely fine. As if nothing happened. That is until, of course, later when I noticed the A/C was blowing hot. I figured my A/C compressor had gone out and knew it would be expensive to fix. So I suffered the heat for the next couple *months*. No other issues at all, until one morning the fan was blowing very loudly. Later that day, I got a message saying that the engine was hot and to drive moderately. I got the car home and looked for leaks but didn’t see anything. Started it the next day and drove a short distance before the message returned. This time I noticed coolant leaking from where both the hose and sensor meet the bottom of the expansion tank. I can not see a crack and it only leaks after the car warms up. I drained the coolant from the tank and checked the connections, which seemed okay, and added more coolant. I tried the bleeding procedure but nothing seems to happen. I’ve tried it several times. The water pump doesn’t seem to be coming on. I have ordered a new water pump and thermostat, which should come tomorrow. I’m just wondering if there is anything else I should check? Any other ideas or clues? Is the AC issue related? The AC stopped blowing cold air two months before there were any overheating issues, but I still feel like it’s all probably connected. I realize that I’m likely to blame for not taking care of some things as I should have, but I’m just asking for any helpful ideas that apply to the situation as it is now.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2022, 07:17 AM   #2
wcs531
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90 335xi / E70 X5d

The electric water pumps on the n55 flat out die every 60-80k miles. Pretty sure there was a recall or lawsuit of some kind, I would search around.
Appreciate 0