XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

09-26-2018, 09:00 AM   #1
Blivit
Private
Rep
Drives: 2013 X5

Introduction and oem part question

Hello. First time BMW owner. We recently acquired my father in laws 2013 X5 35i with 35k miles on it. I did have to put new tires on it as it still had the originals; other than that no real issues as we drove it from Virginia to Florida.

I am a Ford guy though so this is new for me. I've always done my own work with cars including maintenance and modifications. I've been trying to spend as much time as I can reading about the X5 and how to do different things.

I work for a manufacturer of pcm tuning products. We do not support BMW but the idea of coding is an area I have definitely been reading up on as it fits in with what we do.

Wanted to say hi, and I do have a question. Where is the best place to order oem parts online? The closest dealer isn't really convenient for me and in general I am not a fan of visiting dealerships unless I have to. The "radius rod" on the rear suspension is cracked and I want to replace it. I have searched and found a few sites online, it's only a $35 part but having never bought a BMW part, not sure which to choose.

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2018, 10:20 AM   #2
omgboost
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2012 X5 35i

I've been buying a lot of oem parts on eBay.

This is also a great price comparison tool, search BMW pnpc
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2018, 10:46 AM   #3
do_0b
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2010 X6 M

Garage List
2010 BMW X6M  [0.00]
yeah ebay..just get the parts number and search it there, you'll find some stuff the price is really cheap
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2018, 11:33 AM   #4
Blivit
Private
Rep

Thanks. Checking out ebay; might just be this part but it seems to be a bit more expensive there compared to other places.
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2018, 11:42 AM   #5
mirob
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3CX

https://www.getbmwparts.com/ - This is what I use when I absolutely have to have OEM, of course always price check EBay and Amazon first...

Some secondary places like Pelican Parts and RockAuto will have some good deals if you're ok with OE.

https://www.realoem.com/ - This is the best place if you're looking for part numbers, names of parts, or just the general location of parts.

Good luck and enjoy your new ride!
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2018, 12:46 PM   #6
X5 MAN
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011X5 50iM-Sport;2016X3 35i M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blivit View Post
Hello. First time BMW owner. We recently acquired my father in laws 2013 X5 35i with 35k miles on it. I did have to put new tires on it as it still had the originals; other than that no real issues as we drove it from Virginia to Florida.

I am a Ford guy though so this is new for me. I've always done my own work with cars including maintenance and modifications. I've been trying to spend as much time as I can reading about the X5 and how to do different things.

I work for a manufacturer of pcm tuning products. We do not support BMW but the idea of coding is an area I have definitely been reading up on as it fits in with what we do.

Wanted to say hi, and I do have a question. Where is the best place to order oem parts online? The closest dealer isn't really convenient for me and in general I am not a fan of visiting dealerships unless I have to. The "radius rod" on the rear suspension is cracked and I want to replace it. I have searched and found a few sites online, it's only a $35 part but having never bought a BMW part, not sure which to choose.

Thanks
https://parts.bmwofsouthatlanta.com/...0&modelName=x5

https://www.fcpeuro.com/
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2018, 02:16 PM   #7
ryansbmw
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 X5 35i M-Sport, 2010 535x

Use RealOEM.com to find the part number you need.

Use FCPEuro to purchase the part. They carry Genuine BMW and OEM brands at awesome prices and have a LIFETIME WARRANTY ON EVERYTHING. Yes you read that right. Everything. Brake rotors, suspension parts, even wiper blades.
      09-26-2018, 05:46 PM   #8
TKR
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 X5 40e & 2018 330e

One more vote for bmwsouthatlanta.com. They have good prices and real OE parts.

You can sell anything in eBay and claim it's OEM when it's not.

Lifetime warranty sounds great for cheap aftermarket parts, but I've had bad experiences them lasting 6 months only or max one year. Then you have the return shipping costs and all the hassle waiting for replacement part. So I'm sticking with OE parts from sources that are reputable. Pay higher price once and it lasts as long as you own the car.
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2018, 05:14 AM   #9
Blivit
Private
Rep

Lots of good info here, thanks.
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2018, 08:41 AM   #10
ryansbmw
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKR View Post
One more vote for bmwsouthatlanta.com. They have good prices and real OE parts.

You can sell anything in eBay and claim it's OEM when it's not.

Lifetime warranty sounds great for cheap aftermarket parts, but I've had bad experiences them lasting 6 months only or max one year. Then you have the return shipping costs and all the hassle waiting for replacement part. So I'm sticking with OE parts from sources that are reputable. Pay higher price once and it lasts as long as you own the car.
Im not sure if this warranty part of this is referring to my post about FCPEuro but the lifetime warranty is applied to OE BMW parts as well, not just aftermarket stuff. The warranty process is pretty simple too. You'll have to pay for the replacement part up front, install it, then you just send the old part back and you get the refund.
      09-27-2018, 11:21 AM   #11
omgboost
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2012 X5 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryansbmw View Post
Im not sure if this warranty part of this is referring to my post about FCPEuro but the lifetime warranty is applied to OE BMW parts as well, not just aftermarket stuff. The warranty process is pretty simple too. You'll have to pay for the replacement part up front, install it, then you just send the old part back and you get the refund.
I think you're missing a step. You buy the replacement part first. Do not send the original equipment back since this is your first FCP purchase. After your FCP purchase item breaks, you buy another one from FCP. Send your first FCP item back to get a refund. So you don't have to deal with sending them your broken part, waiting for them to send you a new one. You buy the new one, do the repair, send your old one in.

But yes, FCP warranty applies to all parts. Even OE BMW parts.
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2018, 11:45 AM   #12
ryansbmw
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by omgboost View Post
I think you're missing a step. You buy the replacement part first. Do not send the original equipment back since this is your first FCP purchase. After your FCP purchase item breaks, you buy another one from FCP. Send your first FCP item back to get a refund. So you don't have to deal with sending them your broken part, waiting for them to send you a new one. You buy the new one, do the repair, send your old one in.

But yes, FCP warranty applies to all parts. Even OE BMW parts.

Ahh yes. You obviously have to buy the initial part from FCP. You cant return the original part from the factory to them for the warranty. Sorry if that wasnt clear.