XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

08-27-2018, 01:51 AM   #1
chris604
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X5 M

Best Tune for X5M?

Hey all. I am wondering about the best tuner for my X5M? It's a 2010 with 97K Km (about 60k Miles) on it. Running great, except for the plastic hoses leaking, which will be fixed soon! Anyways, I was looking for tuners, like hand held ones. Anyone have a recommendation for one? The best I could find was about $800. about 70 lb/ft tq and about 70+ horsepower. www.rktunes.com seems good, and theres a few others for the same price. Or, does anyone have one for sale that they are no longer using?

Thanks!!
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2018, 08:55 AM   #2
carlos@velosdesignwerks
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris604 View Post
Hey all. I am wondering about the best tuner for my X5M? It's a 2010 with 97K Km (about 60k Miles) on it. Running great, except for the plastic hoses leaking, which will be fixed soon! Anyways, I was looking for tuners, like hand held ones. Anyone have a recommendation for one? The best I could find was about $800. about 70 lb/ft tq and about 70+ horsepower. www.rktunes.com seems good, and theres a few others for the same price. Or, does anyone have one for sale that they are no longer using?

Thanks!!
Think we have a pretty good product if I don't say so myself
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2018, 12:25 PM   #3
boneca
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW X5

Garage List
2013 BMW X5M  [10.00]
2011 BMW X5  [10.00]
As stephen@velosdesignwerks mentioned already Velos was my choice as well! The difference is that he's seller and I'm consumer! (I've been running Velos stage 2 for 2.5 years now with no issues)

We had lots of similar posts back in the day and Velos was and I believe still one of the best options with friendly and pretty responsive support!

Now I'm not sure that this tune will fit in your budget bracket! I know that prices came down a bit in a last year or so and they also have promotions from time to time but still this is probably little bit on the higher side!

I also heard a lot of good about AA tune but personally don't have experience with it!

Good luck with your search!
Appreciate 1
      08-27-2018, 12:41 PM   #4
9vapors
Major
Rep
Drives: CB X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by boneca View Post
As stephen@velosdesignwerks mentioned already Velos was my choice as well! The difference is that he's seller and I'm consumer! (I've been running Velos stage 2 for 2.5 years now with no issues)

We had lots of similar posts back in the day and Velos was and I believe still one of the best options with friendly and pretty responsive support!

Now I'm not sure that this tune will fit in your budget bracket! I know that prices came down a bit in a last year or so and they also have promotions from time to time but still this is probably little bit on the higher side!

I also heard a lot of good about AA tune but personally don't have experience with it!

I agree on the Velos. I wanted their tune after doing so much research on tunes and tuners, but the price was a bit more than I wanted to spend. They had some of the refurbished units and I picked one up. Waiting on downpipes to get it up and running though. I can tell you that their customer service is top notch and that helps make it worth the full price based on the support.
Appreciate 1
      09-04-2018, 06:13 PM   #5
TheVazha
Major
Rep
Drives: X5Mmmkay.

Running Velos as well. Car pulls like a freight train, no weird issues as I've read with other tunes. Solid product running a little over 2 years.

+1 on CS.
      09-05-2018, 09:08 AM   #6
carlos@velosdesignwerks
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by boneca View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9vapors View Post
I agree on the Velos. I wanted their tune after doing so much research on tunes and tuners, but the price was a bit more than I wanted to spend. They had some of the refurbished units and I picked one up. Waiting on downpipes to get it up and running though. I can tell you that their customer service is top notch and that helps make it worth the full price based on the support.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVazha View Post
Running Velos as well. Car pulls like a freight train, no weird issues as I've read with other tunes. Solid product running a little over 2 years.

+1 on CS.
Appreciate the feedback guys!
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2018, 05:30 PM   #7
theaudir8fan
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: a major headache

Hi Chris, I'm on velos stage 2+ and I'm relative local to you, if you are interested, I can show you what tuned and decatted X5M is like
Appreciate 1
      09-06-2018, 06:02 AM   #8
0-60Motorsports
Brigadier General
Bahrain
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 JB 04 Coupe

I'll be going with Alex @ Alpine tuning. Search on the M3/M4 forums for reviews of his tuning.
2011 VW Golf R DSG White/Black
IG: @060Motorsports
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2018, 09:19 AM   #9
carlos@velosdesignwerks
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by theaudir8fan View Post
Hi Chris, I'm on velos stage 2+ and I'm relative local to you, if you are interested, I can show you what tuned and decatted X5M is like
Haha glad you are enjoying the tune as well! This is one the platforms we spent a considerably amount of time on to get just right
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2018, 02:10 PM   #10
StatenEye
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5M F85

Garage List
2016 BMW X5M  [0.00]
2011 BMW X5M  [9.00]
Ya Velos is the way to go IMO. Truck is a beast.
Appreciate 1
      09-07-2018, 06:24 AM   #11
nastyx5m
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW X5M

trying to figure this same thing out.

I currently have a custom tune from a local tuner but in my opinion its running very rich, I can even smell the fumes at idol and it smokes some. does anyone else have this issue after the tune.

I'm thinking of going with the velos but that price is like

is velos really worth that much more than other tunes.

Last edited by nastyx5m; 09-07-2018 at 06:38 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2018, 02:00 PM   #12
Lunker325
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E70 X5M / 991.2 C4S

I like my BPM Sport tune. Truck runs much stronger and zero issues since installing. Mike knows his stuff and provides great support. Price is much lower than others as well, I have no regrets.
      09-07-2018, 05:57 PM   #13
9vapors
Major
Rep
Drives: CB X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by nastyx5m View Post

I currently have a custom tune from a local tuner but in my opinion its running very rich, I can even smell the fumes at idol and it smokes some. does anyone else have this issue after the tune.

You can wait around for them to have a deal with the refurbished units again. That's when I got mine. Maybe you can call and see if they have any available again?
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2018, 08:49 AM   #14
carlos@velosdesignwerks
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nastyx5m View Post

Hello. Send me a PM at what price you were quoted and see if we can work something out.
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2018, 11:10 AM   #15
nastyx5m
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephen@velosdesignwerks View Post
Hello. Send me a PM at what price you were quoted and see if we can work something out.
pm sent
      09-17-2018, 12:28 PM   #16
pearlpower
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i

While I am leaning towards Velos, I would like to have a few questions answered which so far have not been through PM with them.

I want to ensure to can reflash my stock tune back on my X5M when I want, without reaching out to them?

Also, as I plan on getting DP down the line, would I receive 2 tunes upfront? One for no-DP and the other for DP? Or would I reach out later and pay for an additional tune when I install my DP?

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2018, 12:38 PM   #17
boneca
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW X5

Garage List
2013 BMW X5M  [10.00]
2011 BMW X5  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by pearlpower View Post
While I am leaning towards Velos, I would like to have a few questions answered which so far have not been through PM with them.

I want to ensure to can reflash my stock tune back on my X5M when I want, without reaching out to them?

Also, as I plan on getting DP down the line, would I receive 2 tunes upfront? One for no-DP and the other for DP? Or would I reach out later and pay for an additional tune when I install my DP?

Thanks
you should be able to reflash to stock whenever you want/needed that's why you'll receive the reader, question is why? I understand if there are issues but other that that I don't see why would you want to flash back to stock? Dealers seems to don't care, I don't go to dealers anymore but I did before and no issues.

As far stage 2+ when you'll get u DP I assume you will get free upgrade (at least this is what I heard from some members) I'm sure Velos will correct me if I'm wrong here!

I personally never installed DP but recently upgraded my exhaust to axle-back with valves delete, I contacted Velos and they told me there is no update needed, but I assume its different with DPs!

Good luck!
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2018, 03:51 PM   #18
carlos@velosdesignwerks
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:

Thanks
Hey,

I believe I sent you a PM with the info but maybe you didn’t see it. You are able to flash back to stock using the handheld we send you as it stores the stock and modified file. We can tune ahead of time for your downpipes as well.

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2018, 06:38 PM   #19
pearlpower
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephen@velosdesignwerks View Post
Hey,

I believe I sent you a PM with the info but maybe you didn’t see it. You are able to flash back to stock using the handheld we send you as it stores the stock and modified file. We can tune ahead of time for your downpipes as well.

Thanks!
Thanks, but what does tune ahead of time mean? Sorry, just looking for clarification. So does that mean 2x tunes now, one for DP and one without DP?

Thank you,

Last edited by pearlpower; 09-17-2018 at 08:49 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2018, 08:11 AM   #20
mirob
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3CX

Quote:
Thanks, but what does tune ahead of time mean? Sorry, just looking for clarification. So does that mean 2x tunes now, one for DP and one without DP?

Thank you,
It means that the only difference between Stage 2 and 2+ is DP delete. So if you ever plan on getting catless DPs, you may want to go ahead and go with 2+ to avoid hassle later.

I went with 2+ and still don't have catless DPs a year+ later...it doesn't hurt to go ahead and get it...future-proof it, if you will...
Appreciate 1
      09-20-2018, 08:48 AM   #21
carlos@velosdesignwerks
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:

Thank you,
Quote:
Originally Posted by mirob View Post
It means that the only difference between Stage 2 and 2+ is DP delete. So if you ever plan on getting catless DPs, you may want to go ahead and go with 2+ to avoid hassle later.

I went with 2+ and still don't have catless DPs a year+ later...it doesn't hurt to go ahead and get it...future-proof it, if you will...
Correct
Appreciate 1
mirob2943.00
      09-23-2018, 08:51 PM   #22
chris604
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X5 M

Quote:
Originally Posted by theaudir8fan View Post
Hey man. Sure. Sounds good.
Appreciate 0