XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

05-22-2018, 10:19 PM   #1
X5Meister
Rep
Drives: E70 X5M

H&R Spring / Rear Links Install

I searched but could not find anything definitive...

What is the approximate time for this install project? My trusty Indie looked it up in his shop software and the estimate was 7-8 hours... It seems excessive to me so I just thought I'd ask for the opinions from those who have done it. None of the threads I found regarding the H&R set up mentioned anything about install difficulty other than making sure the rear links are properly measured.

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2018, 06:39 AM   #2
mirob
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3CX

Quote:
Originally Posted by X5Meister View Post
I searched but could not find anything definitive...

What is the approximate time for this install project? My trusty Indie looked it up in his shop software and the estimate was 7-8 hours... It seems excessive to me so I just thought I'd ask for the opinions from those who have done it. None of the threads I found regarding the H&R set up mentioned anything about install difficulty other than making sure the rear links are properly measured.

Thanks!
Installed the rear links myself, 10 minute job if you have them pre-measured and are happy with initial height/ride quality. Takes longer if you're having to lift it multiple times to dial it in.

As for the front springs, I had an indy suspension shop put them in (after I did the links). Installation plus alignment was $240 including tax (he charges $60 for the alignment so labor for the install was $90 per side). Left the vehicle all day with him and gave him plenty time to get it done so I couldn't tell you how long it took him. BUT, being charged 7 hours of labor, at the minimum, seems ridiculous.

As for DIY, I've done this on my E46 M3 and it was a two-person job which took about 2-3 hours (with the first one always taking the longest). I imagine all aspects of the swap are more difficult, to a certain degree, on the X5 M.

Take it to a shop that specializes in suspension work and get a quote from them.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2018, 09:17 AM   #3
X5Meister
Rep
Drives: E70 X5M

Mirob,

Thanks for the reply. I have no doubt in my Indie's capabilities to do the work as he has looked after all of my cars (mostly Porsches) for several years and builds/maintains winning race cars for a number of clients. He's just never done this job on an X5M so he looked it up in his shop software when I asked if it was a job that could be done 'while you wait'.

I just thought I'd ask here if there were specific tasks that have to be done on an X5M front spring swap that slow the process down from a typical spring swap.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2018, 10:47 AM   #4
mirob
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3CX

I wasn't questioning your Indies capabilities just his integrity. I listed prices to indicate that there probably isn't anything special that differentiates this swap from any other.

I simply recommended a specialized shop due to the fact that 1) you'll have to get an alignment so you might as well kill two birds (unless your Indi does that too), and 2) if they can throw the book at you, they will.

I'm assuming you're not finding any in-depth descriptions of the process or any DIY for that matter because the theoretically cheap price it takes to do the swap by someone else outweighs the PITA factor it would take to do the job yourself.

It's your money though...
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2018, 02:09 PM   #5
argento
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2013 X5M

FWIW Dinan shows 8.3 hours to install front springs and rear ride quality kits. Tech at bmw quoted me same wo looking up Dinan hours, tho told me I didn’t need the rear kit and it would be 5 hours. I’m not sure he’s right about not needing the rear kit. Speculating less for the Indep Tech?
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2018, 08:43 AM   #6
socale39
Major
Rep
Drives: 04 545i SMG

All these hours are excessively high if doing front springs and rear links. The front is extremely easy and should only take 1-1.5hrs to do and the rear links 15-30min including adjusting.
Appreciate 0