XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

10-07-2018, 06:50 PM   #1
BMWerkeUS
Rep
Drives: 2009 X5 35d

2009 X5 (E70) 35d: rough idle, half engine sign, and injector codes

The problem is solved on 10/20/18

Hello All,

I have a 2009 X5 35d. It had rough idle, half engine sign and finally it would stop. I checked the codes using a generic OBD2 reader and following codes were found:

Fault Code: P0273 Fault Explanation: Cylinder 5 Injector Circuit Low
Fault Code: P0276 Fault Explanation: Cylinder 6 Injector Circuit Low
Fault Code: P0305 Fault Explanation: Cylinder 5 Misfire Detected
Fault Code: P0300 Fault Explanation: Random Misfire Detected
Fault Code: P3148 Fault Explanation: Cylinder 1 High Pressure Injector High Side Shorted to Coil
Fault Code: P1729 Fault Explanation: Engine High Rotational Irregularity

I took the car to a local mechanic and he said that injector 6 needs to be replaced. He did and the engine was still running rough. He told me that the injector needs to be coded and he is unable to do it. I had the car towed to the dealer and they coded the injector but it did not fix the problem. I had them run a diagnostics and this is what the dealer said:

“PERFORMED SHORT TEST. FOUND FAULT FOR CYLINDER 1 INJECTOR ACTIVATION AND OPERATIONAL SMOOTHNESS FOR CYLINDER 1 AND 5. WORKED THROUGH AVAILABLE TEST PLAN, CORRECTION FUEL INJECTION QUANTITIES FOR CYLINDER 1 AND 5 EXCEEDED LIMITATIONS. PER TEST PLAN, RECOMMENDED INJECTORS 1 AND 5 REPLACEMENT”

I declined the repair (which was ridiculously expensive) and took it to the same local mechanic and had him replace injectors 1 and 5 that I bought from ECS tuning. The mechanic said it was running well. We idled the car at the mechanics and reved it a few times, the rough idle and the half engine sign came back after approximately 5-10 minutes. The mechanic read the codes and they were as follows:

Fault Code: 004593 Fault Explanation: Smoothness regulator cylinder 2
Fault Code: 004CE7 Fault Explanation: Misfire detection cylinder 2 number of detected failures too high

We took the car home, deleted the codes with Carly and after several minutes of idle, the car started running rough again and sometimes it would show the half engine sign. The codes were as follows:

Fault Code: 004BCF Fault Explanation: Injector cylinder 4, control
Fault Code: 004F6F Fault Explanation: :Error hydraulic pump / high torsional vibrations
Fault Code: 00A811 Fault Explanation: :Energy-saving mode active
Fault Code: 00A8C5 Fault Explanation: aytime running lights left defective
Fault Code: 00A83A Fault Explanation: :Lever invalid positio / (Write EEPROM) Internal error: controller / UNDERVOLTAGE

Then, I ordered the Bimmer Geeks’ usb cable and tried to code the injectors 1 & 5 but INPA would not connect. I got the ISTA+ and was able to code injectors 1&5 and verified that all the other injectors are properly coded. Thereafter, I had the car idled for a while until it showed the half engine. I added TECHRON diesel fuel injector cleaner and idled it a few more times. Read the codes again with ISTA+ and here are the codes:

This afternoon, we took it for a slow drive around the neighborhood and it goes into limp mode almost immediately. I read the codes with Carly after the short drive and here they are:

Fault Code: 004592 Fault Explanation: Smoothness regulator cylinder 4
Fault Code: 004BCF Fault Explanation: Injector cylinder 4, control
Fault Code: 00480A Fault Explanation: particulate filter system
Fault Code: 00481A Fault Explanation: particulate filter system
Fault Code: 004F6F Fault Explanation: Error hydraulic pump / high torsional vibrations
Fault Code: 00A811 Fault Explanation: Energy-saving mode active
Fault Code: 00A8C5 Fault Explanation: Daytime running lights left defective

After clearing the codes with Carly, I had the car idle for 5 minutes or so until half engine sign showed up. Here are the codes by ISTA+:

BTW, the car hardly ever runs without a misfire for 5 minutes continuously.

I would like to get your feedback as to what I should do next short of replacing the injectors. I am new to ISTA+ but if you can tell me how to, I should be able to provide any diagnostics information if it helps.
Thanks in advance!
BMWerkeUS

Last edited by BMWerkeUS; 10-20-2018 at 06:56 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2018, 04:44 AM   #2
mefferso
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 335d

One thing you can check for causing rough idle is carbon build up using ISTA. Here's how: https://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1195370

Spend some time searching the diesel specific subforum for more injector related info and consider posting this topic there. https://www.e90post.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=377
      10-14-2018, 10:58 AM   #3
BMWerkeUS
Rep

Thanks mefferso!

I run the test for CBU as you suggested.
Here is what I have:

My swirl flap test is said to be not OK. Does that mean 95% is not good enough or perhaps I did something wrong during the test?
I monitored the set point and the actual value for swirl flap for a short while and they were identical.

BTW, I replaced/coded the injector 4 in the meantime and the engine is still running rough. Here are the new codes:

Fault Code: 004593 Fault Explanation: Smoothness regulator cylinder 2
Fault Code: 004CE7 Fault Explanation: Misfire detection cylinder 2
Fault Code: 004BC9 Fault Explanation: Injector cylinder 2, control
Fault Code: 00480A Fault Explanation: particulate filter system

It is strange that every time we replace an injector, another injector becomes problematic.

Thanks,
BMWerkeUS

Last edited by BMWerkeUS; 10-14-2018 at 07:43 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2018, 06:52 PM   #4
BMWerkeUS
Rep

Update #2
Here are the minimum/maximum fuel injection correction rates including injector 2 (apperent source of trouble). I ran this diagnostics earlier today:

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2018, 11:56 AM   #5
BMWerkeUS
Rep

You can read the continuation of this post here (Solved):
https://www.e90post.com/forums/showt...6#post23877206
Appreciate 0