XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

09-29-2018, 03:29 PM   #1
greg328
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 X5 MSport

2011 X5 E70--rear hatch malfunctioning

Did the usual search, could not find a suitable answer.

A few weeks ago my 2011 X5 rear hatch began to malfunction. It will not close automatically using the tailgate red button, unless the engine is running--key in but engine not running will not do it.

I found the related 2 fuses to pull and check in the front fusebox and did so--they were both fine. By the way, who designed that front fusebox and OK'd its placement? Wowza>>>!

The interior console button --will-- open the hatch with key in position 1, but will not lower it, with any key position. The rear red tailgate button --will--lower it only with engine running.

Here's the big hint: When the malfunction occurs, I get one motor click and the yellow dash icon display indicating rear "tailgate" not fully closed--but it is! And, remember, with engine running, rear button works as normal. I've slammed the rear tailgate several times to be sure.

So, anybody have any ideas? More BMW electrical weirdness--not shocking!

Greg
Austin TX
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2018, 09:31 AM   #2
Colodano
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2010 X5M

Two big things to check. First one is that the lower hatch is closed properly, and sensors work properly. Second, the sensors can fail in the lift motors. When it gets to that point, you may end up having to pull the fuse every time to reset it and allow the button to close the gate.
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2018, 09:39 AM   #3
Ghanziang
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW X5 3.5i Silver

Garage List
2012 BMW X5  [0.00]
I get that same warning when the lower gate was not slammed shut. I have not tried most of the scenarios you list. The front button will not close the gate for me either. I plan to change that via coding in the near future.

G.
Appreciate 0