XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

10-14-2018, 06:00 PM   #1
neliconcept
Fashion Photographer
Rep
Drives: 2013 Porsche Cayenne GTS

Opinion: fix or trade in X5 4.8

So I have an 07 4.8 with some issues, nothing super major but stuff that could add up to a bill that would just irritate the hell out of me.

-First off, I fixed my coolant expansion tank recently but it's still leaking coolant which would most likely make it the exchange pipe in the valley of the engine. That's I'm assuming around a 2k repair bill?

-Next, front brakes, rotors/pads need to be replaced, normal wear and tear but still with my lack of options to do it myself, can cost me around 800 or so.

-iDrive no longer clicks down so that is another fix that needs to happen

-And last, my rear taillights will not use the reverse lights, bulbs have been replaced so it has to be a short, or the FRM is somehow messed up

My X5 is a bit bare bones, it has the sport package, premium sound, premium package and cold weather package but does not have tech package or 20" 214 wheels and look. It has 136k miles and a small hole in the front bumper from somebody with a rod backing into me. Interior is in pretty good shape for the year and mileage.

I am looking to trade in for a 2014 Porsche Cayenne GTS and recently found one that I liked but the mercedes dealer that had it, gave me a rough estimate trade on mine for 3k max. I thought that was a bit low but maybe not too much (they don't know about the coolant.)

I owe 5500 roughly so that would be a 2500 ish loss. Should I trade and lose the money (or try Carmax and do better) or just fix it with the potential costs of 3200 or more in costs and keep it for a couple of months and then trade?

Sorry for the aforementioned reading you guys did but just need some opinions.
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2018, 06:37 AM   #2
X5 MAN
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011X5 50iM-Sport;2016X3 35i M

In my opinion you should trade it in and cut your losses. It is a money pit.
I bought a 2011 X5 50i for $15k and spent another $8k on it and it still needs further repairs which I have delayed.
Your trade -in loss is nothing compared to whatt you could be in for more expensive repairs.
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2018, 12:00 PM   #3
chris604
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X5 M

Quote:
Originally Posted by X5 MAN View Post
In my opinion you should trade it in and cut your losses. It is a money pit.
I bought a 2011 X5 50i for $15k and spent another $8k on it and it still needs further repairs which I have delayed.
Your trade -in loss is nothing compared to whatt you could be in for more expensive repairs.
$15K? Wow, sounds like a deal, except for the repairs. How many miles on it?
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2018, 12:02 PM   #4
TurnOne
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: X5 50i

This is my second X5 (E70 V8). First was E53 3.0 pretty much bulletproof with minor issues. My experience with BMW's is that the V8s are not reliable as the 6-cylinder engines. Although I do like the power, I would do the X5M as I believe the S63 engine is better than the N63 for my next X5. All cars are money pit, some more than others. I must admit I'm tired of these 4-figure repairs every now and then.
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2018, 12:54 PM   #5
X5 MAN
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris604 View Post
$15K? Wow, sounds like a deal, except for the repairs. How many miles on it?

It had 105 K miles on it

Not all $8 k was on repairs. about $5k was on preventive maintenance.
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2018, 02:19 PM   #6
nyceric03
Private
Rep
Drives: F25 35i, F15 50i, E70 4.8i

heh what a timely post I was just thinking about getting rid of my 08 4.8i X5 also ~91k miles on it but potential big ticket items (coolant pipe, valve cover gaskets etc) down the line
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2018, 02:48 PM   #7
Vitalität
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW i3 & X5

Garage List
2015 BMW i3 BEV  [0.00]
2007 BMW X5 48i  [0.00]
2006 BMW 330i  [0.00]
2004 BMW 330i  [0.00]
Let me chime in.....

Well, if you own a BMW, you need to be a DIY person, roll up your sleeve and get dirty. Any BMW car need that from their owner, that's a true BMW enthusiast unless your want to deal with stealership and expensive bills.

First, I can't say for certain that the coolant leak would cost you $800 based on what you are describing. You have not done any thorough inspection yet.

Second, brake components you mentioned will not cost you $800

Third, iDrive fix maybe a simple replacement of the controller, on eBay I see some listing for as low as $30 or it could be a dirty one who knows.

Fourth, nothing in electrical can't be fixed and could be a cheap fix so you need to figure that out.

It sounds to me that you have not made a confirmation of the issues and is leaning towards the idea that the repairs could be expensive and a big headache and the same time, you have looked at other cars like Porsche as a replacement. Typically, when owners do this, it affects their judgment to keep the car and they justify the purchase of a new one. You can and might still save a lot of money by doing the repairs compared to owning a new one especially a Porsche where a new set of issues you will have to deal with. Check their forums and do your homework.

@X5MAN could be wrong or right, but then again, every X5 is different depending on how the previous owner took care of it. I had 80K on my 2007 X when I got it and the issues quite a few owners have reported, I have not experienced those yet, and I'm at 95K now and issues that I had before, most owners have not experienced it. So bottomline is, I don't care what other owners are saying here that your X5 might be a headache. Not because they experienced it, does it mean you will.

Garage: BMW i3 Giga World BEV | BMW E70 X5

Last edited by Vitalität; 10-15-2018 at 02:53 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2018, 08:10 PM   #8
neliconcept
Fashion Photographer
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vitalität View Post
Let me chime in.....

Well, if you own a BMW, you need to be a DIY person, roll up your sleeve and get dirty. Any BMW car need that from their owner, that's a true BMW enthusiast unless your want to deal with stealership and expensive bills.

First, I can't say for certain that the coolant leak would cost you $800 based on what you are describing. You have not done any thorough inspection yet.

Second, brake components you mentioned will not cost you $800

Third, iDrive fix maybe a simple replacement of the controller, on eBay I see some listing for as low as $30 or it could be a dirty one who knows.

Fourth, nothing in electrical can't be fixed and could be a cheap fix so you need to figure that out.

It sounds to me that you have not made a confirmation of the issues and is leaning towards the idea that the repairs could be expensive and a big headache and the same time, you have looked at other cars like Porsche as a replacement. Typically, when owners do this, it affects their judgment to keep the car and they justify the purchase of a new one. You can and might still save a lot of money by doing the repairs compared to owning a new one especially a Porsche where a new set of issues you will have to deal with. Check their forums and do your homework.

@X5MAN could be wrong or right, but then again, every X5 is different depending on how the previous owner took care of it. I had 80K on my 2007 X when I got it and the issues quite a few owners have reported, I have not experienced those yet, and I'm at 95K now and issues that I had before, most owners have not experienced it. So bottomline is, I don't care what other owners are saying here that your X5 might be a headache. Not because they experienced it, does it mean you will.
I appreciate your candid response for sure! I have done some DIY on my car and I feel decently confident that I can do some of the bigger items possibly. The issue I have, I don't have any friends or relatives nearby with a garage/driveway and I live in Jersey City and my X5 is parked in the mall parking lot (we get a deal close by from the parking people monthly) So being able to take the top half of the engine off to do the coolant pipe really isn't possible. And for sure it can be done for 800 DIY but with a certified shop? I don't see that as possible no? Brakes as well, no jack, jack stands or storage place to keep said items and I'd probably get kicked out of garage for doing that kind of maintenance on the car.

I've had it for a bit, the car has not been a pig or nightmare. I got it when it had 60k miles on it and have put 80k on it myself. It's just that these are basically worthless apparently to a dealer or even a private party interested even though it is a pretty good vehicle and drives well. Also very safe! I'm not 100% ready to just drop it and go after the Cayenne. I've been wanting a Cayenne for 10 years ever since I saw the 2008 Cayenne GTS come out. I worked at Porsche Dealership for a year doing all the photography/creative direction and got behind the wheel of several models including the 918. I'm also a BMW fan. I love cars but I haven't driven this thing more than 50 miles in the last two months. It's sitting and I hate that it is sitting not being driven.
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2018, 09:39 AM   #9
Vitalität
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW i3 BEV  [0.00]
2007 BMW X5 48i  [0.00]
2006 BMW 330i  [0.00]
2004 BMW 330i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by neliconcept View Post
I appreciate your candid response for sure! I have done some DIY on my car and I feel decently confident that I can do some of the bigger items possibly. The issue I have, I don't have any friends or relatives nearby with a garage/driveway and I live in Jersey City and my X5 is parked in the mall parking lot (we get a deal close by from the parking people monthly) So being able to take the top half of the engine off to do the coolant pipe really isn't possible. And for sure it can be done for 800 DIY but with a certified shop? I don't see that as possible no? Brakes as well, no jack, jack stands or storage place to keep said items and I'd probably get kicked out of garage for doing that kind of maintenance on the car.

I've had it for a bit, the car has not been a pig or nightmare. I got it when it had 60k miles on it and have put 80k on it myself. It's just that these are basically worthless apparently to a dealer or even a private party interested even though it is a pretty good vehicle and drives well. Also very safe! I'm not 100% ready to just drop it and go after the Cayenne. I've been wanting a Cayenne for 10 years ever since I saw the 2008 Cayenne GTS come out. I worked at Porsche Dealership for a year doing all the photography/creative direction and got behind the wheel of several models including the 918. I'm also a BMW fan. I love cars but I haven't driven this thing more than 50 miles in the last two months. It's sitting and I hate that it is sitting not being driven.
Well, not having your own place to do maintenance is hard. You can get rid of the X and lease a Porsche Also, it would also be beneficial for you if dealership will cover the cost of maintenance for certain period of time if Porsche does that, seems like DIY may not be not be a good option for you while you are in your current living condition. Wish you all the best mate!

Appreciate 0
      10-18-2018, 01:07 AM   #10
N62B48
Private
Rep
Drives: XDrive 4.8i

Quote:
Let me chime in.....

Well, if you own a BMW, you need to be a DIY person, roll up your sleeve and get dirty. Any BMW car need that from their owner, that's a true BMW enthusiast unless your want to deal with stealership and expensive bills
Yes i must say the above statement are very true for bimmer enthusiast.I owned 09 XDrive 4.8 im the original ownership mines only 75k in it as garage queen.

all the parts i replaced myself,,
1. Coolant reservoir, expansion tank all the hoses.
2. The coolant pipe, included new water pump, thermostat and spark plugs.
3. Oil pressure sensor.
4. Valve guide seals.
5. Throttle body
6. Rear Air bags.
7. Heater switch for those were complained the passenger side blowin warm air with the ac on., both driver and passenger icy cold.
8. Oil changed every 3K miles in it.
9. New tranny fluid and fr and rr differential fluids.
10. I loved my V8 4.8 pure power no need to deal with boost failure, etc..
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      10-18-2018, 01:12 AM   #11
N62B48
Private
Rep

Replaced all the necessary parts while im fixing the infamous coolant leak, I enjoyed it...
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      10-19-2018, 05:24 AM   #12
Thecastle
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F10 550i

Garage List
2020 BMW M340i  [0.00]
2019 RAM 3500  [0.00]
2020 BMW X3  [0.00]
2016 BMW 550i  [0.00]
2000 Ford F450 7.3l ...  [0.00]
I’ll say I owned a 2008 4.8i, in 6months it cost 8500 in repairs and maintenance. Alternator died, battery, sun roof, power hard struts, parking brake controller, heater control valve, engine partition, maf, etc. had bad valve stems, leaking front diff, leaking adaptative drive lines, so I dumpred it. These cars have a lot of complicated systems that are expensive to fix. It was almost as expensive as my x5 m

But at least I could be Batman with my smoke clouds.
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2018, 09:23 PM   #13
neliconcept
Fashion Photographer
Rep

Well I took it by Carmax, they gave me an even number of 3000 to sell it to them. Exactly the same as the dealer said they would give me.

Deciding whether to owe the difference or fix it and sell it. If I were to fix said issues, would you guys think I could get maybe 6500-7k for it? For a private party sale. Or am I kidding myself?

Last edited by neliconcept; 10-21-2018 at 08:25 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2018, 11:05 PM   #14
Ryan5034
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 50i

Garage List
I don't think your trade in value will vary that much even if you fix everything. You could spend $2500 in maintenance and only get $500 in trade in value.
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2018, 08:24 AM   #15
neliconcept
Fashion Photographer
Rep

I figured that for trade in value. What do you think as far as private party sale value?

Edited my above post to clear confusion. Sorry. Meant 6500-7000 as a private party sale rather than trade in
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2018, 07:37 AM   #16
X5 MAN
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
I figured that for trade in value. What do you think as far as private party sale value?

Edited my above post to clear confusion. Sorry. Meant 6500-7000 as a private party sale rather than trade in

Don't kid yourself.

You will be hard put to find any buyer even if you advertise in every magazines or websites.

If you do find a buyer he will only offer you what the Carmax offered or a grand more because most of the so called buyers who approach you will be used car sharks trying to flip the X5 for a profit
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2018, 07:04 PM   #17
neliconcept
Fashion Photographer
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by X5 MAN View Post
Don't kid yourself.

You will be hard put to find any buyer even if you advertise in every magazines or websites.

If you do find a buyer he will only offer you what the Carmax offered or a grand more because most of the so called buyers who approach you will be used car sharks trying to flip the X5 for a profit
Yea I get that. I may fix it, i might have some money to just pay it off and drive it some more, then I'll drop it for the Cayenne.. I did search auto trader, and nobody is selling private party wise.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2018, 04:39 PM   #18
neliconcept
Fashion Photographer
Rep

I'm selling it to Carmax Saturday, unless someone wants to offer me 4 for it lol.
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2018, 03:56 PM   #19
Vitalität
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW i3 BEV  [0.00]
2007 BMW X5 48i  [0.00]
2006 BMW 330i  [0.00]
2004 BMW 330i  [0.00]
Quote:
I'm selling it to Carmax Saturday, unless someone wants to offer me 4 for it lol.
Did you try Carvana?

Appreciate 0
      10-24-2018, 10:19 PM   #20
neliconcept
Fashion Photographer
Rep

Quote:
Did you try Carvana?
Didn't think about Carvana, will consider them.
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2018, 10:15 PM   #21
city1991
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 535i x drive F10

Quote:
Originally Posted by N62B48 View Post
Quote:
Let me chime in.....

Well, if you own a BMW, you need to be a DIY person, roll up your sleeve and get dirty. Any BMW car need that from their owner, that's a true BMW enthusiast unless your want to deal with stealership and expensive bills
Yes i must say the above statement are very true for bimmer enthusiast.I owned 09 XDrive 4.8 im the original ownership mines only 75k in it as garage queen.

all the parts i replaced myself,,
1. Coolant reservoir, expansion tank all the hoses.
2. The coolant pipe, included new water pump, thermostat and spark plugs.
3. Oil pressure sensor.
4. Valve guide seals.
5. Throttle body
6. Rear Air bags.
7. Heater switch for those were complained the passenger side blowin warm air with the ac on., both driver and passenger icy cold.
8. Oil changed every 3K miles in it.
9. New tranny fluid and fr and rr differential fluids.
10. I loved my V8 4.8 pure power no need to deal with boost failure, etc..
I'm looking at an 09 X5 with the V8. It has under 57000 miles. Supposedly new tires and brakes. They "have" the service records also. What are the big things to be looking at that were already repaired? Thanks in advance.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2018, 12:00 AM   #22
N62B48
Private
Rep

Most common problem N62 motor the coolant pipe leaks you can search on line or youtube under coolant pipe leaks.
Appreciate 1