XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

09-23-2018, 03:33 PM   #23
9vapors
Major
Rep
Drives: CB X5M

For the life of me I can't get the vband clamps on. I barely have any strength left, I'm sore, and tired of this. It just won't line up! I have the bottom loose and not tightened, I put the exhaust hangers back on, should I undo them?
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2018, 08:51 PM   #24
9vapors
Major
Rep

Well, finally got it... the vbands didn't line up so I had to do a lot of pushing and pulling and twisting the pipes. I had to take off the exhaust hangers again to get them to finally sit even close to right. I still had to really fight to get the vbands on and tightened. Hope they aren't leaking. Took the car for a victory cruise after and immediately forgot what it took to get there. I left the lower heat shields off, at least for now... I still have to reinstall the vacuum canisters and the mount for the hoses. This basically took me all weekend, but I was burdened with people visiting, (not to help) and missing/breaking tools. All worth it in the end though! Learned a lot about my x5M and it was fun, except when it wasn't.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2018, 11:40 PM   #25
jandref321
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2012 X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9vapors View Post
Well, finally got it... the vbands didn't line up so I had to do a lot of pushing and pulling and twisting the pipes. I had to take off the exhaust hangers again to get them to finally sit even close to right. I still had to really fight to get the vbands on and tightened. Hope they aren't leaking. Took the car for a victory cruise after and immediately forgot what it took to get there. I left the lower heat shields off, at least for now... I still have to reinstall the vacuum canisters and the mount for the hoses. This basically took me all weekend, but I was burdened with people visiting, (not to help) and missing/breaking tools. All worth it in the end though! Learned a lot about my x5M and it was fun, except when it wasn't.
Awesome! Sorry I missed your earlier question. I never had issues with the clamps until replacing the turbos. Driver side went on easy but passenger side hated me...I ruined two v band clamps trying to get them on. I think I may have slightly miss aligned the turbo when reinstalling...or at least as much as you can since they have to line up with the manifold to even attach...maybe 2mm off made it a PITA. I’m sure the coating didn’t help either. You can rotate the clamp until the bolt is at the 12 o clock and squeeze it together with channel lock pliers...make sure the bolt goes in without stripping then try to rotate inward a bit. I’m glad you made it work
Appreciate 1
9vapors648.00
      09-24-2018, 09:50 AM   #26
9vapors
Major
Rep

Thanks! I think what ended up being the major problem was the guy who welded the bolts in welded them in crooked. So they took a bit to get them in the 2bolt flange, then that made the vband side line up a bit off. I was lucky mine have the flex section so I was able to push and pull with a couple bars and it lined up enough to force the vband clamp to do the rest of the work...

Anyone who has the bolts welded in, make sure they do them straight!
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2020, 09:07 AM   #27
LewisM1
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5M F95

Quote:
Originally Posted by jandref321 View Post
So...I looked up the VRSF Downpipes and they are listed as not requiring any changes and the O2 Sensors appear to line up. Be aware when buying DPs that some of them have different locations for the O2 sensors and you have to buy extender wires for the O2 sensors...and the heat shield no longer fits. Hopefully this is not the case for the VRSF Downpipes. I did notice that the VRSF ones do not have welded bolts on the lower flanges. This will make it much more difficult to install. The stock Downpipes have bolts pressed into place. You may do yourself a favor by getting the new bolts tack welded into place on the new DPs.
Can you tell me what bolt size you had to buy and have welded in?
Thank you.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2020, 10:37 AM   #28
pearlpower
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by LewisM1 View Post
Can you tell me what bolt size you had to buy and have welded in?
Thank you.
M8x45mmx1.25.

https://www.xbimmers.com/forums/show...light=downpipe
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2020, 12:47 PM   #29
Dawgz
2022 M4 Comp Xdrive
Rep
Drives: 2022 M4 Comp Xdrive

Quote:
Quote:
I'm currently in the same situation...the driver side bell housing is not meeting flat with the turbo so the vband clamp can't get on correctly. The passenger side was not much of an issue.

My DPs did not come with the bolts welded on so I have to buy a welder (we have shelter in place orders due to covid19). I mocked up a ghetto jig to make sure the bolts are sitting true or similar to the stock dps. Pics below.

Hopefully the DPs sit better once the bolts sit in correctly to the mid flange that is secured to the transmission (the piece that sits in middle of the downpipe flange and front pipe of exhaust).
Attached Images

Appreciate 0