XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

01-24-2020, 12:20 PM   #1
101peter101
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F16 E70

X5 30d SD major oil leak

Hi guys, owned my x5 for over 7 years now, all ok, and about to sell it, a guy turned to look, he revved it up and said, there is smoke coming from exhaust! It was cold so I sad no, he pulled of the engine cover and saw a little oil on throttle body, then he opened the water reservoir and it was full of fresh black oil! Still revving the engine his other mate said there is oil is trickling out of the tailpipes! And it was! The engine management warning came on stating excessive emissions. Head gasket or oil cooler?
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2020, 06:02 PM   #2
RL18
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by 101peter101 View Post
Hi guys, owned my x5 for over 7 years now, all ok, and about to sell it, a guy turned to look, he revved it up and said, there is smoke coming from exhaust! It was cold so I sad no, he pulled of the engine cover and saw a little oil on throttle body, then he opened the water reservoir and it was full of fresh black oil! Still revving the engine his other mate said there is oil is trickling out of the tailpipes! And it was! The engine management warning came on stating excessive emissions. Head gasket or oil cooler?
Okay first off your 30d doesn't have a throttle body. I'm not sure what a water reservoir is. You really need to give us more information then this if you want help. What codes do you have? Pictures of where you see oil. What color was the smoke?