XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

12-07-2019, 01:22 PM   #1
Dvdman
Major
Rep
Drives: 2022 X5 and 2007 M6

Any suggestions adding to....

Hello all,

My 2013 X5 50I is going in the shop Tuesday to add a for a Dinan Stage 2. It sounds like everyone is happy with it. I am looking to add something to her to spice her up. 6 years old with 60K miles only and still love the power. I am not very "car smart" when it comes to these add ons. Is there any suggestions to adding power to it that is somewhat budget friendly? Maybe an exhaust or new Air intakes to include on Tuesday? Looking to spend less than $2K to add a little more zip. I appreciate all the advice.

Dvd
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2019, 01:29 PM   #2
pdX5M
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E70 X5M

Garage List
2013 BMW X5 M  [0.00]
If you're going stage 2 tune I'd consider some downpipes and maybe some drop in air filter replacements. The downpipes will help with under hood temps and let the turbos spool more freely.

You won't see much power increase from an exhaust as it really only changes the sound. Also, unless you just do a muffler delete most exhaust systems are $$$.
- 2013 X5 M - Silverstone Metallic w/ Black Perforated Complete Merino - All OEM Options - 12.5mm/20mm Spacers - Velos Stage 2 - xHP Stage 3 - AA Catless - Megan Racing Supremo - PTP Blanket - K&N Drop In -
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2019, 04:41 PM   #3
Dvdman
Major
Rep

Exhaust systems are $$. I will look into A good air filter. Thank you!
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2019, 09:46 AM   #4
Colodano
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2010 X5M

The downpipes will be the largest single thing you can do aside from a tune to make power.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2019, 10:07 AM   #5
Nkponder
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 E70

You may also want to look into a new intercooler, not sure what size the 50i has. I did the MHD tune on my 35i and noticed a bit of hesitation under acceleration, kinda like it was misfiring. So I added a Wagner intercooler, and smooth acceleration after that.

Downpipes are good too, I installed an AR Designs sport cat in my 35i. My thought was a sport cat would be a good compromise with performance and emissions, but I'm not sure how much it helps with emissions- I definitely have more exhaust odor than I was expecting. So you might as well go straight DP, significantly cheaper, just make sure to get ones with resonators.

Good luck!
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2019, 03:22 PM   #6
ryansbmw
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 X5 35i M-Sport, 2010 535x

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nkponder View Post
You may also want to look into a new intercooler, not sure what size the 50i has. I did the MHD tune on my 35i and noticed a bit of hesitation under acceleration, kinda like it was misfiring. So I added a Wagner intercooler, and smooth acceleration after that.

Downpipes are good too, I installed an AR Designs sport cat in my 35i. My thought was a sport cat would be a good compromise with performance and emissions, but I'm not sure how much it helps with emissions- I definitely have more exhaust odor than I was expecting. So you might as well go straight DP, significantly cheaper, just make sure to get ones with resonators.

Good luck!
How was the sound with the DP? Is that why you suggest the resonators?
      12-09-2019, 06:06 PM   #7
urabus040
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 X6 I35

Garage List
2014 BMW X6  [0.00]
I run the VRSF straights on my 35i, and have a MHD stage 2 tune flashed. At first I thought I would be a funny guy and threw a flowmaster super 10......bad idea, 6 months I was done waaaaaay to loud, it was sweet to here the turbo spool and whoosh but yeah you wont be friends with the neighbors anymore. I strated to cringe starting my car at 4AM.

I did some homework and got a Y pipe and two 3 inch resonators (all from magna flow) and kept the dual look with the full function no more exhaust flap, its got a nice mellow growl at idle, and when you get on it, I don't get unwanted attention but it will turn heads and get people asking "whats that got in it ? " They have a nice mellow highway sound that seems to knock my kids right out LOL. Everything is still straight through with no restrictions or bottlenecks, and you will pay waaaaay less than for a "system" find a good muffler shop or indy guy, 99% they will fab it cheap and it will look nice.

Here's the down side.....my cars white and all around the bezzles its always filthy with carbon, have to clean it once a month, and yeah it smells. I spent 229 on a fab-speed "mini cat" for the o2 issues, that was 229 wasted, it looks really nice but bottom line DNW. Next try is the defoulers it seems to work for a high percentage of folks so we'll see.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2019, 06:35 PM   #8
Sophisticated Redneck
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW X5 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dvdman View Post
Hello all,

My 2013 X5 50I is going in the shop Tuesday to add a for a Dinan Stage 2. It sounds like everyone is happy with it. I am looking to add something to her to spice her up. 6 years old with 60K miles only and still love the power. I am not very "car smart" when it comes to these add ons. Is there any suggestions to adding power to it that is somewhat budget friendly? Maybe an exhaust or new Air intakes to include on Tuesday? Looking to spend less than $2K to add a little more zip. I appreciate all the advice.

Dvd
I have a 2012 50i, if you have the slip-fit collectors like mine does, I Highly recommend the ARM motor sports downpipes (it says for the 550i but it fits the X5 50i perfectly. https://www.armmotorsports.com/BMW-F...-tu-dp-550.htm

You will notice an immediate increase in throttle response and power. Your cold-start will become very loud but other then that its not to much louder then at full throttle.

Next up I recommend you replace all of your ignition coils since you are at 60K and I can guarantee you will soon be throwing codes and engine malfunction messages, especially with the higher boost you will soon be running. . Go with Bremi or Eldor brand, avoid Bosch coils made in Slovenia at all costs.

Go with 1 step colder spark pugs from NGK

Have your wastegates tightened up, at 60K they are getting worn out. Use a vacuum you hand pump to set them tight at -10psi You will notice an improvement in throttle response

Dinan makes intercoolers, or you can go with X5m intercoolers or Intercoolers from the Alpina. Both are the same and offer about 30 percent more cooling. I picked up some off Ebay for cheap I will be installing when I get time.
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2019, 09:50 AM   #9
Dvdman
Major
Rep

Thanks for all the advice! I don't want her too loud. I feel the power, but I do feel like there is lag when I hit the gas. I would like to feel her to just go when I hit the gas. I'll look into some of these.
Appreciate 0