XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

07-02-2019, 08:41 AM   #67
ucsbwsr
Captain
Rep
Drives: E61

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lviv777 View Post
Love it!
Quote:
Originally Posted by 0-60Motorsports View Post
Excellent work!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyc Dito View Post
wow..your work is meticulous... love it!
Thanks guys, more to come!
- EOS Port Injection Manifold, Fuel-It: Stg 2 LPFP +Lines +Ethanol Sensor
- JB4, Hexon RR550s, Custom Inlet, AR DPs, 3" Exhaust, VRSF 7" IC, ER CP +Tial
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2019, 05:45 PM   #68
Deftronix
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 12 X5d & 20 X7 M50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ucsbwsr View Post
I like flush rails but the reality is with those you need taller base bars if you are going to run any roof rack. I have Yakima Whispbars which are ultra sleek but need these slightly raised rails to clamp onto. With my function>form mentality it doesn't make sense to sway them in the off chance I need to use the roof rack.

Here is a pic of the back of the fog housing.
Totally get what you're saying about the taller rails. the Thule Edges I have ride pretty high and noticed how a roof box can sit much lower with the old rails.

How are you liking the rear sway bar? Do they make a front one as well?

Look forward to seeing what you do to get the paddles working, I run the same set but put that project on the back burner and haven't thought about it much.

Thanks for the additional info and pic on the fogs.
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2019, 09:12 AM   #69
ucsbwsr
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deftronix View Post
Totally get what you're saying about the taller rails. the Thule Edges I have ride pretty high and noticed how a roof box can sit much lower with the old rails.

How are you liking the rear sway bar? Do they make a front one as well?

Look forward to seeing what you do to get the paddles working, I run the same set but put that project on the back burner and haven't thought about it much.

Thanks for the additional info and pic on the fogs.
Connecting the paddles should be pretty straight forward, I have done retrofits like this on my E61 wagons. From what I gather the E70 doesn't have wiring provisions in the DME box to the trans so wiring from the steering column must go all the way down to the trans and the large waterproof connector must be disassembled for a clean install.

The other detail which is TBD is the paddle compatibility but since this wheel is from an LCI M-sport and my X5 being an LCI figure it should work since both are "pull/pull" SMG style as opposed to the older SSG "push/pull" If retrofitting SMG paddles to a SG spec car then you must add resistors in the steering wheel for the control module to register the signal. I don't believe we will need resistors nor will we need any coding, they should operate after being wired up.

Rear sway is nice, the improvement is subtle and positive. I haven't seen a static front sway bar which is an upgrade over OEM both non-sport and sport use the same thickness. Ultra Racing does make numerous chassis braces for the E70 which should help solidify the feel of the chassis but being a manufacturer for global markets you have to be attentive to fitment. For example they had a lower rear chassis brace which looked interesting but I wasn't convinced it would clear the OEM exhaust, you also have to trim the splash shields to get them to sit properly (no biggie). They have 3-4 braces which should fit the X5.
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2019, 11:23 PM   #70
Deftronix
First Lieutenant
Rep

They are SMG that are adapted to an X5M steering wheel, like yours. Just screwed them on very tight without using the plastic surround/brackets. Please post details if you ever get them going, its been a while since I dug into the info!

As far as the ultra racing braces, I've always been most interested in their upper 4 point brace, if it could be adapted for the 35d if there was an intake solution for us.
http://ultraracing.my/ecatalog/index...t-tower-bar-2/

Hardrace also has a 28mm rear swaybar but no one seems to make a front.
http://www.hardrace.com/Product_detail.asp?id=4311

Wish we had more options..
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2019, 10:40 AM   #71
ucsbwsr
Captain
Rep

Quote:
As far as the ultra racing braces, I've always been most interested in their upper 4 point brace, if it could be adapted for the 35d if there was an intake solution for us.
http://ultraracing.my/ecatalog/index...t-tower-bar-2/
Yea, more options would be nice but with the X5M using active chassis stabilization the good ol' static braces are uncommon. Very few people, enthusiasts and tuners included recognize the performance potential of M57 vehicles, especially the E70.

I have been eyeing up the engine bay for a potential custom intake system. My internet research shows that the stock intake works very well, which is nice, but I love turbo noises and built a custom intake for my E61 which works and sounds great. In addition to the non-drive side space being tight and the turbos being mounted higher on the engine and closer to where the intake would be, BMW put the MAF sensor pre turbo where on my N54 that was located on the charge pipe just before the throttle body.

Using a velocity stack and a paired air filter would likely resolve the potential air turbulence pre-MAF poor readings but ideally I would remove all pre turbo piping and consequently change the location of the MAF and diameter of piping it's in, not sure if it would adjust or if that would require custom tuning, etc.

I am not too worried about the heat as I think a lot of it can be negated with some additional heat shielding on/around the turbos and some clever ducting to get the cold air directed to the filter. I love these sorts of projects so I will definitely be giving it more research and thought.

This is what I built for my wagon

To help manage heat I ceramic coated the downpipes and a modded heat shield.

The heat shield is highly effective as it smothers the manifolds.

Velocity stack intake with filter to match.
Appreciate 1
Deftronix169.50
      07-30-2019, 10:51 AM   #72
ucsbwsr
Captain
Rep

It took me a couple months but I finally realized I live a few miles from a Proper station that has HPR, I go to the same station to fill my wagon with E85. It's nice that they don't over charge for the "performance" diesel, same price as Shell, Chevron, etc.

A fellow X5D owner lend me his JBD to try out until I get deleted/tuned. Running it at 100%. It offers a nice bump in power.

Since I have multiple BMW key fobs from the same generation I had some custom keychains made to keep them organized.

Personalized plates arrived.

Happy to report it is centered, I haven't had great success in the past.

Some pics racked up.

Appreciate 0
      07-30-2019, 12:38 PM   #73
Spyro235
Captain
Rep
Drives: '10 X5D, '04 330i ZHP

I see your insulation was once home to a mouse too! Twins!
      07-30-2019, 12:39 PM   #74
ucsbwsr
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spyro235 View Post
I see your insulation was once home to a mouse too! Twins!
Good eye! You are correct.
Appreciate 1
Spyro235258.50
      09-06-2019, 11:45 AM   #75
ucsbwsr
Captain
Rep

The X5 hasen't been getting much love with a lot of recent travel, other project wagons, a broken finger, and a new 2mo puppy but I do have some maintenance and mods collecting.
Fluidampr, fuel filter, oil filter, vac lines, and a 3" QTP e-cutout I had left over from a wagon project. I have also been researching and strategizing for a custom intake, a big intercooler retrofit, potential trans cooler, and tuners/exhaust for the deletes.

Buying well designed off the shelf items is great since you know fitment will be perfect but I do enjoy the challenge of a good DIY/retrofit project so I will likely end up retrofitting a VRSF race intercooler and building an RK Autowerk style cold air intake. I know the OEM system is well designed but if I play my cards right I should be able to build a system that has similar filtering properties and intake air temps while offering a shorter piping run. Plus more turbo noises and a unique intake system. Living in San Diego I don't have many worries about excessive water/dirt/etc. Climate is kind to cars out here.

For exhaust I like the ATM since it has an in-line resonator but they seem to be out of stock and have been for a while, if it's not available then VRSF DP with Rawtek mid pipe seems to be a nice setup and I like having the 2 bolt flange in place of the slip on design. Either way the plan is to put the QTP valve as far back as possible, ideally right before the OEM muffler. straight piped M57s aren't too loud but since this is a road trip vehicle it will be nice to have a "quiet" mode.

The Y-pipe supplied by QTP has pretty poor fit and finish with a lot of excess material protruding from the welds, this will need to be ground down to keep gasses moving smoothly. QTP also supplies a monster of a toggle switch that is hard to operate and looks like it should be installed in a aircraft from the 70s so I will be upgrading it to a more elegant/flush switch and try to integrate it around the headlight dial so it looks as OEM as possible.

Appreciate 2
Deftronix169.50
KJ335D0.00
      09-07-2019, 03:47 PM   #76
RL18
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d sport

If your looking for a great tune for your x5 35d then I highly recommend BRR tuning. I went with him for my 335d and the tune is fantastic, will also go with him for my x5 35d as well. If you go on over to the 3 series forum and go to the m57 threads you'll find more on reviews from BRR. He's new but probably the most refined tune available for our m57 not to mention one of the cheaper one's available.

BRR thread: Shoutout to BRR tuning. https://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1619882

My BRR tuned dyno thread: BRR Tuned Dyno numbers https://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1564142

Also, anymore info of the morimoto led fog light retrofit? Like what size you used? That's looks absolutely stunning and I'd love to do that with my x5s fog lights.

Your x5d looks great btw. Hoping to get my exterior to look that nice after I delete my x5d
      09-07-2019, 10:44 PM   #77
Deftronix
First Lieutenant
Rep

Look forward to see what you're going to do with the intake and cutout. I've been playing with the idea of putting a dump in the exhaust as well but vacuum actuated so it can be more controllable like a throttle body. Are the electronic actuators on/off only or can you for example put in 6V and the valve goes to 45 degree(50% of its usual flow)? Plan to wire this to the secondary output of the torqbyte controller so I can actuate on its own map and tune for proper back pressure, etc. Let me know what you think. Thx.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2019, 08:18 PM   #78
ucsbwsr
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RL18 View Post
If your looking for a great tune for your x5 35d then I highly recommend BRR tuning. I went with him for my 335d and the tune is fantastic, will also go with him for my x5 35d as well. If you go on over to the 3 series forum and go to the m57 threads you'll find more on reviews from BRR. He's new but probably the most refined tune available for our m57 not to mention one of the cheaper one's available.

BRR thread: Shoutout to BRR tuning. https://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1619882

My BRR tuned dyno thread: BRR Tuned Dyno numbers https://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1564142

Also, anymore info of the morimoto led fog light retrofit? Like what size you used? That's looks absolutely stunning and I'd love to do that with my x5s fog lights.

Your x5d looks great btw. Hoping to get my exterior to look that nice after I delete my x5d
I have heard some good stuff about BRR but like many other tuners in the M57 scene they don't disclose many details showing and explaining what's going on. I understand tuners want to keep their secret sauce but as a consumer I feel like the M57 tuning scene is a bunch of he-said she-said, not tuners offering hard data and showing the what/how/where/why.

Your dyno sheet was one I had already saved in my ever growing M57 folder. That is the power I am looking for, ~350whp 500-550wtq and ideally a "clean" tune as I don't want to be puffing coal everywhere. JR 2.8 originally caught my eye with the power and cleanliness but I am not crazy about the $$, especially a one-time off the shelf tune. BRR keeps popping up with promising reagard and I hear he his tune is from scratch and not a modded Euro tune like most but that doesn't really offer insight on WHY is tune is more refined. Lastly there is Mike at BPM who is local, he is also well regarded and the thought of syncing up with him for a custom tune is appealing. These are probably the top 3 candidates with DUDMD next in line. More research to do! Thanks for posting the dynograph (nice numbers for a mustang dyno too) dyno graphs are suprisingly hard to come by in the M57 world. People get deleted and just say their car feels fast and that they offer pointless racing kill stories. Dyno graphs and data logs and what's up!

Quote:
Look forward to see what you're going to do with the intake and cutout. I've been playing with the idea of putting a dump in the exhaust as well but vacuum actuated so it can be more controllable like a throttle body. Are the electronic actuators on/off only or can you for example put in 6V and the valve goes to 45 degree(50% of its usual flow)? Plan to wire this to the secondary output of the torqbyte controller so I can actuate on its own map and tune for proper back pressure, etc. Let me know what you think. Thx.
The QTP isn't a one touch actuation so you press and hold the switch as it opens/closes and release it when you want the valve to stop. Personally I wish it flicked on/off quickly like the vacuum operated ones but for your situation where you want partial actuation it's a perfect fit. Only thing to note is properly acclimate yourself with how long it takes to open and close since after the valve is bottomed out one way or another and you continue to activate the valve it can't be good for the motor.

I spent Saturday measuring and mocking up the inlet system and made some good progress. Next step is to order the remaining parts and test fit. The main component will be 3.5" 90 degree oval piping from CX Racing, the same used in this X5M project, my inlet will have the filter in the same located pre-radiator: https://www.xbimmers.com/forums/show....php?t=1508868

If all goes to plan the system will look like this:
K&N Filter - 3.5" Oval pipe - 3.5" 45 degree silicone elbow - 3.5" joiner - 3.5" 90 degree silicone elbow, OEM MAF, 3.5"-3" straight silicone reducer - OEM lower turbo inlet elbow.

For filters the base option will be the K&N RC-5000 but will explore stuffing a RC-5040, not sure if it will make a difference but usually more air filtering is a good thing. OEM panel filter is 12"x9.5"x1.5" Looking up a 12x9.5x1 panel filter on K&N shows it flows 640cfm. I gather from the internet the RC-5000 flows 600cfm and the 5040 flows 1,000cfm.

Another project which has stared is a oil catch can I will probably build my own CCV block off plate and utilize a small vented catch can. Many people use the ProVent but venting to purge a spike of pressure seems like a good call, some have blown VCGs or blow excessive smoke out of the exhaust with a closed system.

More to come,
Evan
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2019, 12:07 AM   #79
Deftronix
First Lieutenant
Rep

Definitely things to think about, thx. Forgot the electronic valves are pretty slow, it wouldnt work very well controlled. A dump would definitely be fun regardless though.

Was lucky enough to buy a ccv block off plate years ago when a guy did a custom run. I have the provent, check valve,24mm id hose ect, but am procrastinating (like a lot of my mods) because I cant come up with a solution for the oil return. I did not like the way people were jb welding/hacking a t-fitting into the dip stick line. Just be aware that a few holes need to be drilled in the provent to accommodate m57 crank case pressures. I forget the member but he did a lot of real world testing to arrive at the three extra holes he drilled in the baffle to equalize everything. Its posted somewhere in the 335d forums.

I have an insane diesel oil bypass kit in route with a oil cap return but return needs to be below the provent since it's gravity fed so cant use that for both tasks unfortunately. Hopefully will have room for both tanks as I opted for the X2 filter housing for more surface area. Interested to see how your address oil return from the catch can as well

Can't wait for some updates!

Last edited by Deftronix; 09-09-2019 at 12:18 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2019, 06:29 AM   #80
RL18
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d sport

Quote:
I have heard some good stuff about BRR but like many other tuners in the M57 scene they don't disclose many details showing and explaining what's going on. I understand tuners want to keep their secret sauce but as a consumer I feel like the M57 tuning scene is a bunch of he-said she-said, not tuners offering hard data and showing the what/how/where/why.

Your dyno sheet was one I had already saved in my ever growing M57 folder. That is the power I am looking for, ~350whp 500-550wtq and ideally a "clean" tune as I don't want to be puffing coal everywhere. JR 2.8 originally caught my eye with the power and cleanliness but I am not crazy about the $$, especially a one-time off the shelf tune. BRR keeps popping up with promising reagard and I hear he his tune is from scratch and not a modded Euro tune like most but that doesn't really offer insight on WHY is tune is more refined. Lastly there is Mike at BPM who is local, he is also well regarded and the thought of syncing up with him for a custom tune is appealing. These are probably the top 3 candidates with DUDMD next in line. More research to do! Thanks for posting the dynograph (nice numbers for a mustang dyno too) dyno graphs are suprisingly hard to come by in the M57 world. People get deleted and just say their car feels fast and that they offer pointless racing kill stories. Dyno graphs and data logs and what's up!
Well I know why it's better than the other tuners but I don't feel it's my place to say why. If you want I can give you his info and you can chat with him about his tune.

And yes I agree a dyno sheet means more than a butt dyno which is why I dynoed mine lol. And as you can see from my dyno smoke isn't bad at all and my intercooler pipe was leaking then haha. But thanks! I'm hoping to find a dynojet in my area to dyno again since he's updated my tune twice and I'm going to be installing meth and a new intercooler soon to try and break the 400whp mark. Oh and did I forget to mention free updates too? That's a huge plus if you ask me since my upgrades don't always happen at once or if there's an issue with the tune.
      09-09-2019, 09:32 AM   #81
ucsbwsr
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Was lucky enough to buy a ccv block off plate years ago when a guy did a custom run. I have the provent, check valve,24mm id hose ect, but am procrastinating (like a lot of my mods) because I cant come up with a solution for the oil return. I did not like the way people were jb welding/hacking a t-fitting into the dip stick line. Just be aware that a few holes need to be drilled in the provent to accommodate m57 crank case pressures. I forget the member but he did a lot of real world testing to arrive at the three extra holes he drilled in the baffle to equalize everything. Its posted somewhere in the 335d forums.

I have an insane diesel oil bypass kit in route with a oil cap return but return needs to be below the provent since it's gravity fed so cant use that for both tasks unfortunately. Hopefully will have room for both tanks as I opted for the X2 filter housing for more surface area. Interested to see how your address oil return from the catch can as well
What are the details on your oil bypass kit? Nice you got one of the plates, the one with the welded aluminum elbow? I plan to build something similar but with a shorter snout. Catch can mounted on the back wall. I am a bit picky about engine bay aesthetics so huge heater hoses laying across the intake manifold are a big no-no for me. On my fast e61 I have both low-load and high-load catch cans and thankfully I was able to tuck them along the back wall. I won't be worrying about oil return as I have no problem periodically checking and emptying the collected oil, oddly the process brings me a small bit of satisfaction. If it turns out to be a hassle then I will upgrade to a larger can or look into plumbing it.

Here is the E61 setup

Quote:
Originally Posted by RL18 View Post
Well I know why it's better than the other tuners but I don't feel it's my place to say why. If you want I can give you his info and you can chat with him about his tune.

And yes I agree a dyno sheet means more than a butt dyno which is why I dynoed mine lol. And as you can see from my dyno smoke isn't bad at all and my intercooler pipe was leaking then haha. But thanks! I'm hoping to find a dynojet in my area to dyno again since he's updated my tune twice and I'm going to be installing meth and a new intercooler soon to try and break the 400whp mark. Oh and did I forget to mention free updates too? That's a huge plus if you ask me since my upgrades don't always happen at once or if there's an issue with the tune.
Updates are a BIG bonus for me so that sits really well. If you don't mind I would love to hear your take on what makes his tuning stand out. I definitely plan to talk with Ryan later but am all ears to hear your story.

BTW, do you have any logs from pulls?

Evan
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2019, 10:33 AM   #82
Deftronix
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
What are the details on your oil bypass kit? Nice you got one of the plates, the one with the welded aluminum elbow? I plan to build something similar but with a shorter snout. Catch can mounted on the back wall. I am a bit picky about engine bay aesthetics so huge heater hoses laying across the intake manifold are a big no-no for me. On my fast e61 I have both low-load and high-load catch cans and thankfully I was able to tuck them along the back wall. I won't be worrying about oil return as I have no problem periodically checking and emptying the collected oil, oddly the process brings me a small bit of satisfaction. If it turns out to be a hassle then I will upgrade to a larger can or look into plumbing it.
It's a toilet paper roll type filter, this kit - https://insanediesel.com/products/vo...tallation-kit/. I customized it opting for the X2 filter housing instead of the X1. Figured the extra surface area couldn't hurt. Same diameter just a bit taller. They also had a couple black ones left in stock that were unlisted luckily, wanted to keep it low key. I jumped on it during their labor day sale.

As far as the plate, it did not have an elbow welded in. It wouldn't be fun stuck at a certain angle. Ended up enlarging the hole and threading it for 16AN bulkhead and using a 90 degree swivel elbow to come off that. Only issue with the manual dump of the oil is I've heard that it accumulates so fast that you would constantly be under the car and also topping off.

I hear you about wanting to keep everything looking clean and organized. It will be hard to do that with the oil return to the cap but a nice braided line with some legit fittings should keep it looking pretty good. I can tell you're meticulous in your work, that's why I can't wait to see how you address a few of these issues. Good luck with the upcoming projects!

If you would like, I can send the plate down to you temporarily so you can make a stencil. Let me know.

-Steve
Attached Images

Last edited by Deftronix; 09-09-2019 at 11:05 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2019, 11:27 AM   #83
ucsbwsr
Captain
Rep

Quote:
It's a toilet paper roll type filter, this kit - https://insanediesel.com/products/vo...tallation-kit/. I customized it opting for the X2 filter housing instead of the X1. Figured the extra surface area couldn't hurt. Same diameter just a bit taller. They also had a couple black ones left in stock that were unlisted luckily, wanted to keep it low key. I jumped on it during their labor day sale.
Ah, so these "deletes" are going to be more like 2 additional in line filters?

More research shows some people mounting their OCCs low so that gravity assists with the collection of vapors but the idea of mounting the can on the firewall makes the most sense. I am sure there are some legitimate data outlining the pros/cons of different setups but in the end I think any decent OCC will be a nice addition so I will keep it simple and adjust the system as needed.

I will shoot you a PM about the plate, I would love to borrow it since my GF is currently dailying the X5 and this would simplify the design process.
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2019, 12:12 PM   #84
Deftronix
First Lieutenant
Rep

The provent is strictly for oil/air separation through crankcase so you're not throwing a mixture into the intake. It replaces the tiny, crappy oe filter where the new plate goes.

The oil bypass filter will be plumbed from a t-fitting from the oil pressure sensor location on the oe full flow filter housing (which you keep functional) and runs the oil through a <1 micron filter at a slower rate to clean the oil of carbon, water, etc more thoroughly since the oe full flow only goes down to <25-40 micron to maintain flow rates.

So technically two different loops. Will send the plate over in the next few days.
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2019, 02:33 PM   #85
Deftronix
First Lieutenant
Rep

Figured I would just trace the PCV plate and scan it for anyone that wants to use.

* When printing make sure adobe is set to original size and not scaling it in anyway in the print options. I put the 98mm reference in there so you can double check once you print the stencil out. *
Attached Images
File Type: pdf PCV Plate Stencil.pdf (193.2 KB, 658 views)
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2019, 03:19 PM   #86
khaosx5d
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2011 X5 35D

Very cool build! I am planning very similar upgrades to my wife's new to us 2011 35D. I have a complete 2012 X5M parts truck to get any parts I need from.
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2019, 04:15 PM   #87
sunny_j
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2012 X5d

Quote:
Figured I would just trace the PCV plate and scan it for anyone that wants to use.

* When printing make sure adobe is set to original size and not scaling it in anyway in the print options. I put the 98mm reference in there so you can double check once you print the stencil out. *
Thank you for the file

Build Thread
https://www.xbimmers.com/forums/show....php?t=1529213
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2019, 08:04 PM   #88
ucsbwsr
Captain
Rep

Quote:
100% a better way to share, thanks! Do you mind if I share it with others who might be interested?

Quote:
Originally Posted by khaosx5d View Post
Very cool build! I am planning very similar upgrades to my wife's new to us 2011 35D. I have a complete 2012 X5M parts truck to get any parts I need from.
What exactly are you swapping between the X5s?
Appreciate 0