XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X6 Forums > General BMW X6 and X6M Forum

09-08-2019, 09:40 AM   #1
jy2019
Registered
Rep
Drives: bmw x3

Active Steering vs Integral Active Steering

Hey all!

As far as I can tell the systems are different
Here is what I gathered
Active Steering of old used a variable gear ratio power steering
Integral Active Steering is more about rear wheel steering

The reason I ask is because as far as I remember. Most people I know hated active Steering. My brother had a 545i and his only complaint was the active Steering. The problem was that you’re never quite sure how it will steer and sometimes you would get caught off guard by it’s response.

Meanwhile everything I read about integral active Steering is positive. Does the system behave in a way that feels more consistent? Or is it still something that’s noticeably and uncomfortably different?

We are looking into ordering a new car and this is the only option I’m not sure about. The active road preview sounds cool and would provide extra comfort for my wife and daughter but it’s in the Dynamic handling package which has Integral Active Steering included.
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2019, 02:06 PM   #2
Qsilver7
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F06 650ix GC / F15 X5 50i

Integral Active Steering combines the front axle's "active steering" features and HSR (rear axle slip angle control) into a steering system that includes both the front & rear axle in with steering assist. If you have only have active steering (AL) then that only refers to the front axle. If you have IAS, then you will have steering "assist" on both the front & rear axles.

I don't have either of these options...but from reading the several forums...I get the gist that IAS generally gets more favorable reviews from BMW owners that have the larger vehicles (like the X5/X7)...and those with smaller vehicles can find the active steering (for front or both front & rear) a little off putting. But when it comes down to tight spaces (like parking etc)...this is when its appreciated. Perhaps this option is better suited for owners that will encounter tight parking spaces or driving situations where the attributes of AL/IAS can shine.

Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.

Last edited by Qsilver7; 09-09-2019 at 02:18 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2019, 06:17 PM   #3
yco
i'm just saying
Rep
Drives: E71 X6M '10 (sold)

variable steering ratio is basically a speed sensitive input with same steering wheel angle applies different angles to the front wheels at different speeds.. lets say 90 degree steering wheel input at 5kmh turns the front wheel for 10 degrees but at 20kmh 90 degree steering wheel input turns the wheel 6 degrees.. so while especially parallel parking.. a full lap of steering wheel input can make the front tires steer to maximum angle instead of steering the wheel more and more to achieve that.. more practical in city driving and longer ratio for stability on the freeway.. instead of making the steering wheel heavier on higher speeds only..

when integral active steering comes into play things change quite a lot in that way.. when turning a 90 degree turn at slow speeds, rear tires gets angle to an opposite way to shorten the radius of the car's maneuver area needed.. but in high speeds, small steering wheel input ll be followed by the rear wheels to the same direction.. so the car actually goes sideways a bit on 4 wheels.. weight shifting becomes smoother in that way..

anyone who is not into cars wont feel that much difference.. only they might say, car can turn quite sharp in city if i needed.. though thats the whole purpose of the system.. for your concern.. if the package you wanted has the system included i d go for it but i would not pay extra to have it separately.. traditional steering is much less complicated and it means less faults in future.. BMW electronics is already complicated.. i d go for one less..
      10-14-2019, 02:06 PM   #4
Robbie1977
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW x6 5.0

Garage List
2010 X6  [10.00]
Good read :-)
Appreciate 0