XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

10-22-2018, 11:43 AM   #1
HLB9
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2019 X3 M40i, 2008 135i

X5 35d Recurring Emissions Problems

Hi, I have a 2009 X5 35d that has had recurring issues with emissions system (EGR/SCR parts) ever since BMW started recalling parts in 2014. Parts are repeatedly failing at great expense to me. BMW Canada has assisted a few times with repair cost, but mostly just insists that "the car is out of warranty, sorry". The entire emissions system is warranteed in the US for 10 years, but unfortunately this is not the case in Canada (although they have recently extended the warranty on just the SCR Active Tank to 10 years). BMW knows this is a problem but not doing enough to help - the entire system should be warranteed in Canada as well.

My question is: has anyone else had repeated failures (of both replaced and also new/related parts in the diesel emissions system)? I am not sure whether my car is an exception or the norm - but either way it's unacceptable.

As i intend to drive this vehicle for at least a few more years, I feel like the better route to take is to go through BMW itself (and Ministry of Transportation, possibly), rather than taking it to a mechanic and "deleting" the systems.

Any input is appreciated, thanks.
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2018, 12:43 PM   #2
RichardR0404
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW X5 35D

Which part of Canada are you at. If you are in Alberta just get rid of all those emission junk.
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2018, 01:24 PM   #3
HLB9
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardR0404 View Post
Which part of Canada are you at. If you are in Alberta just get rid of all those emission junk.
I'm in Ontario (Toronto). What do you mean "get rid of"...? I am not sure I want to do any after-market/unapproved modifications, because then I have no hope of getting any help from BMW at all.

I am interested to know if others have had these same recurring problems so that I may use that knowledge when I deal with BMW and MOT; also, if anyone knows if they have fixed the problems in more recent diesel models.
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2018, 06:30 PM   #4
RichardR0404
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by HLB9 View Post
I'm in Ontario (Toronto). What do you mean "get rid of"...? I am not sure I want to do any after-market/unapproved modifications, because then I have no hope of getting any help from BMW at all.

I am interested to know if others have had these same recurring problems so that I may use that knowledge when I deal with BMW and MOT; also, if anyone knows if they have fixed the problems in more recent diesel models.
That’s bad, Ontario has emission laws which sucks. If you have a SCR issue might be your DEF nozzle has been clogged. Since you live in Ontario I am assume you won’t go through your DEF as fast as me live next door in Quebec. I will suggest you to go to a individual shop who knows how to work on BMW. My recent issue with my active tank BMW has declined my warranty because they don’t have any service record and my engine has been replaced recently. Took to a Indy shop they flushed the tank with alcohol fixed it right away. I would suggest you monitor your reading on EGR, soot mass, EGT, DEF consumption, Ash mass and up and down stream NOx sensor data. I have replaced my engine myself in my garage with 2 helper so this shouldn’t be a big issue. I will suggest you rent a good diagnostic tool kit or ask a mechanic to record the data. As per warranty I won’t count on BMW that much since in Canada this sucks, no lemon law which make me sell my focus RS. Wish you best luck on that. Since I have completely taken the engine apart( strangely my 50k hour engine doesn’t haven any emission issue except that stupid passive tank level sensor clogged) . Let me guess your 35d has been used in city primarily?
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2018, 06:33 PM   #5
RichardR0404
Private First Class
Rep

Like I previous mentioned, if your car doesn’t need to go through emission test just go to JR garage to get it deleted, you can keep your muffler but delete DPF and SCR +DEF completely, I’m from Alberta so we do those all the time on diesel trucks. It should cost you less than fixing this stupid issue
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2018, 10:34 AM   #6
HLB9
Canada
Rep

Thanks for the info. Yes, primarily city use (which I understand is not good, but can't really be avoided here).
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2018, 02:51 PM   #7
askari
Private
Rep
Drives: X5 35d

Quote:
Hi, I have a 2009 X5 35d that has had recurring issues with emissions system (EGR/SCR parts) ever since BMW started recalling parts in 2014. Parts are repeatedly failing at great expense to me. BMW Canada has assisted a few times with repair cost, but mostly just insists that "the car is out of warranty, sorry". The entire emissions system is warranteed in the US for 10 years, but unfortunately this is not the case in Canada (although they have recently extended the warranty on just the SCR Active Tank to 10 years). BMW knows this is a problem but not doing enough to help - the entire system should be warranteed in Canada as well.

My question is: has anyone else had repeated failures (of both replaced and also new/related parts in the diesel emissions system)? I am not sure whether my car is an exception or the norm - but either way it's unacceptable.

As i intend to drive this vehicle for at least a few more years, I feel like the better route to take is to go through BMW itself (and Ministry of Transportation, possibly), rather than taking it to a mechanic and "deleting" the systems.

Any input is appreciated, thanks.
The warranty for the active scr tank is extended in Canada?
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2018, 03:14 PM   #8
HLB9
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by askari View Post
The warranty for the active scr tank is extended in Canada?
Yes, for that part only. 10 years.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2018, 03:20 PM   #9
askari
Private
Rep

Quote:
Yes, for that part only. 10 years.

awesome! need to get mine changed. i'm assuming it has to be done at the dealer and have to pay for their labour cost
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2018, 03:54 PM   #10
HLB9
Canada
Rep

Quote:
awesome! need to get mine changed. i'm assuming it has to be done at the dealer and have to pay for their labour cost
They will only do it if they find it to be defective. It's not a recall, it's an extended warranty. So if there is nothing wrong with it, you can't exchange it under the program. But you know it will break a month after the warranty is up ;o)
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2018, 04:01 PM   #11
askari
Private
Rep

Quote:
They will only do it if they find it to be defective. It's not a recall, it's an extended warranty. So if there is nothing wrong with it, you can't exchange it under the program. But you know it will break a month after the warranty is up ;o)

cool thanks. its throwing a active tank temperature sensor error for a year now. will see, might get them to change it. been living with it

my passive had gone bad first, and i ended up paying to replace it.. then few days later the active tank did the same..
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2018, 04:12 PM   #12
HLB9
Canada
Rep

Quote:
cool thanks. its throwing a active tank temperature sensor error for a year now. will see, might get them to change it. been living with it

my passive had gone bad first, and i ended up paying to replace it.. then few days later the active tank did the same..
Yeah, get them to check it - if it's defective they will do the whole thing at their expense. I had multiple failures within months of each other and argued that one caused the other, got some relief from them at the time. But now have a multi-year history of repeated failures...I am on a mission to get the warranty extended here like it is in the US.
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2019, 08:46 PM   #13
mir604
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2012 X5 35D

I am having the same issue in Alberta with regards to this. Multiple back and forth with BMW Canada and they said SCR catalyst is covered in USA and Puerto Rico but not Canada ( as part of emissions warranty ). I asked them to provide official documentation from BMW Canada stating that the SCR catalyst is excluded, but they have not been able to and they keep deferring.

Any advice on what I should do next other than threaten legal action. They have taken a position saying BMW Canada doesn't have SCR catalyst included as part warranty because its not an

a) catalytic converter ( when you search the part on BMW website it appears with the name "catalytic Converter")

b) bmw USA which states scr catalyst covered by emissions warranty is not carried over to Canada

I feel like im fighting for All of Canada here so any other ideas or approaches would be appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2019, 01:52 AM   #14
sunny_j
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2012 X5d

Have you tried contacting BMW Canada instead of the dealer? If so, you can either delete the emissions or I can sell you any parts from my x5d since I'm deleted and in Vancouver

Build Thread
https://www.xbimmers.com/forums/show....php?t=1529213
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2019, 11:43 PM   #15
mir604
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunny_j View Post
Have you tried contacting BMW Canada instead of the dealer? If so, you can either delete the emissions or I can sell you any parts from my x5d since I'm deleted and in Vancouver
The interaction that I've had is with BMW Canada. I appreciate the offer and I'll most likely have to go that route but it's a principal thing. BMW Canada does not have clear documentation saying SCR catalyst is or isn't included in the policy whereas in the USA the attached link on bottom left of page 12 clearly says SCR is included as part of the warranty.

Furthermore the failure of the NOX sensor is a clear factor in SCR catalyst failure because it can cause the car to run rich. My car has only 67,000km on. It's not like it's ridiculous high mileage. It's still within the 8 years or 130,000km limit as my car was in service October 2012

https://www.bmwusa.com/content/dam/b...s_Warranty.pdf

I will email BMW lawyers as the agent from BMW Canada provided me their info via email. I'll present the same information but not sure what other strategy to use....
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2022, 12:14 PM   #16
alexandre0
Rep
Drives: BMW 328d xDrive Touring

mir604 did you ever get anywhere with BMW Canada ? I just got a big quote for a bunch of SCR stuff on my 2016 328dT and trying to find details on the 8 year / 130k cat warranty, since it would be covered in the US.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2022, 07:47 PM   #17
denisc1977
Rep
Drives: 2011 bmw x5 35d

Garage List
2011 Bmw X5  [0.00]
  [0.00]
I have a 2011 35d and having same issues with all the emission parts and Nox sensors. I took my sensors off and they were covered in soot. The Def fluid sprayer was almost completely closed from crystals from urea. I am just waiting to find the Ista p software to reset the system.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2022, 12:27 PM   #18
mir604
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexandre0 View Post
mir604 did you ever get anywhere with BMW Canada ? I just got a big quote for a bunch of SCR stuff on my 2016 328dT and trying to find details on the 8 year / 130k cat warranty, since it would be covered in the US.
I only received 50% coverage on the cost to repair. They said that's the best they can do and it was a take it or leave it situation. I took it but in hindsight it would've been best to do the SCR delete and associated mods. Perhaps you'd be better off exploring that route
Appreciate 0