XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X6 Forums > General BMW X6 and X6M Forum

08-07-2019, 10:10 AM   #1
rzafreak
Registered
Rep
Drives: 09 Jet Black X6 50i

O2 sensor location

Hi all. I've had my e71 50i for a little over a year and just started getting a CEL referencing Bank 1 Sensor 2. I get that Bank 1 is the (US) passenger side, and I get that Sensor 2 refers to the downstream sensor as opposed to the pre-cat sensor. I've attached a pic of Bank 2 for reference. Sorry for the noob question but is Sensor 2 the one on the top (red circle) or the side (green circle)? Or is it in a totally different location? If anyone has part numbers available, that would be a great help as well. Thanks in advance!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-07-2019, 11:34 AM   #2
Colodano
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2010 X5M

Pretty basic, follow your exhaust flow from the turbo down.... Sensor #1 is pre-cat and upstream, sensor #2 is post-cat, or downstream. Aka. red is #1 green is #2.
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2019, 02:06 PM   #3
StatenEye
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5M F85

Garage List
2016 BMW X5M  [0.00]
2011 BMW X5M  [9.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by rzafreak View Post
Hi all. I've had my e71 50i for a little over a year and just started getting a CEL referencing Bank 1 Sensor 2. I get that Bank 1 is the (US) passenger side, and I get that Sensor 2 refers to the downstream sensor as opposed to the pre-cat sensor. I've attached a pic of Bank 2 for reference. Sorry for the noob question but is Sensor 2 the one on the top (red circle) or the side (green circle)? Or is it in a totally different location? If anyone has part numbers available, that would be a great help as well. Thanks in advance!
Bottom of the heat shield, there will be the downstream sensors on the outer side of each of the downpipes. The cat is about 9 inches long, like my dong. You take the clip off, and then the sealing material and its pretty easy to take the sensor off from that point. Hand thread the new one on and make sure you don't cross thread. Should take like 30 mins I guess.
Appreciate 0