XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

11-10-2019, 05:10 PM   #177
laselvasurf
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 13 X5M/Ford Raptor/19 BMW i3

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSmokos View Post
"tick, tick,tick, tick, tick...." injectors
From my quick experience with it running last week, I was shocked at how loud the injectors are, especially no engine covers/unnecessary plastic under the hood.
2019 i3
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2019, 08:29 PM   #178
laselvasurf
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

I'm hoping this is nearing the final update!

I was able to pick the X5M up from my mechanic last week, then had to travel all week for work. Got back over the weekend and spent nearly all of Sunday detailing it and getting the paint back to decent condition after it's been sitting for over 6 months. It cleaned up quite nicely, other than a couple new scratches on the rear bumper I get to have a fun conversation with my mechanic about.

The final piece in the process is to get the FRM3/footwell module replaced. I dropped it off at BMW Monterey this morning to get the footwell module replaced under warranty. I haven't heard anything back yet, so I'm assuming they are taking care of it without question.

I was a little early to the dealership this morning, so I snapped a photo in the parking lot. Note the drivers side window stuck down.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwinSnailz View Post
If you have time, record a video of the engine noise running at idle(hood open). We all here would like to have an idea how a “new s63” should sound like. Congrats btw.
Here's a video I took yesterday of it running in my driveway. The injectors are surprisingly loud, it's such a different sounding engine than anything I've owned before.
https://youtu.be/H9025cVe3DQ
Attached Images

2019 i3

Last edited by laselvasurf; 11-25-2019 at 09:38 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2019, 09:56 PM   #179
pdX5M
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E70 X5M

Garage List
2013 BMW X5 M  [0.00]
Did your injectors not sound like that before it popped? I have the same thoughts though...loud ass injectors lol
- 2013 X5 M - Silverstone Metallic w/ Black Perforated Complete Merino - All OEM Options - 12.5mm/20mm Spacers - Velos Stage 2 - xHP Stage 3 - AA Catless - Megan Racing Supremo - PTP Blanket - K&N Drop In -
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2019, 09:41 PM   #180
laselvasurf
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

I picked up the X5M from BMW of Monterey this morning and everything is working! YES!!!

It's been over six months since I started this thread and I am so thankful to have the X5M back and ready to roll. BMW replaced the footwell module for free under the warranty no question asked until everything was signed and taken care of. After all was set, the service manager did ask about the window as it was stuck down and because of this, damaged the tint a bit from sitting for 6+ months in one place. I gave him a brief backstory on the failure and he just chuckled...

Now comes the hard part: Breaking in the engine.

I've got 300 miles logged since the rebuild, so I'm starting to push it just to 3K RPM and a little past occasionally. Ghassan recommended I keep it at/under 3K rpm for about a thousand miles, do an oil change and then start working the engine out a bit. I'm going to do my best to follow that as he does warranty the engine for 2 years, unlimited miles.

Here's a photo I snapped this evening while taking a break from driving up and down the coast getting some miles in. After so long in other vehicles I almost forgot how amazing the X5M is to drive. I can't wait to get past the break in stage, get a tune and start pushing it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdX5M View Post
Did your injectors not sound like that before it popped? I have the same thoughts though...loud ass injectors lol
They were loud before, but I think the rest of the engine was a bit louder so it drowned it out. With the engine so clean and quiet, the injectors come through quite a bit more.
Attached Images

2019 i3

Last edited by laselvasurf; 11-27-2019 at 09:59 PM..
Appreciate 2
pdX5M111.50
      11-28-2019, 08:09 AM   #181
RickM5x3
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2011 X5M

Looks great and good luck with the next chapter.
Appreciate 1
      11-28-2019, 10:07 AM   #182
Dawgz
2022 M4 Comp Xdrive
Rep
Drives: 2022 M4 Comp Xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by laselvasurf View Post
I picked up the X5M from BMW of Monterey this morning and everything is working! YES!!!

It's been over six months since I started this thread and I am so thankful to have the X5M back and ready to roll. BMW replaced the footwell module for free under the warranty no question asked until everything was signed and taken care of. After all was set, the service manager did ask about the window as it was stuck down and because of this, damaged the tint a bit from sitting for 6+ months in one place. I gave him a brief backstory on the failure and he just chuckled...

Now comes the hard part: Breaking in the engine.

I've got 300 miles logged since the rebuild, so I'm starting to push it just to 3K RPM and a little past occasionally. Ghassan recommended I keep it at/under 3K rpm for about a thousand miles, do an oil change and then start working the engine out a bit. I'm going to do my best to follow that as he does warranty the engine for 2 years, unlimited miles.

Here's a photo I snapped this evening while taking a break from driving up and down the coast getting some miles in. After so long in other vehicles I almost forgot how amazing the X5M is to drive. I can't wait to get past the break in stage, get a tune and start pushing it.

They were loud before, but I think the rest of the engine was a bit louder so it drowned it out. With the engine so clean and quiet, the injectors come through quite a bit more.

How much was the ghassan build/repair?
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2019, 11:07 AM   #183
laselvasurf
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgz View Post
How much was the ghassan build/repair?
That's a bit of a complicated question... Here's a rough layout of the total costs for everything:

Ghassan -
Engine Rebuild Cost $8499
Core Charge for crankshaft $2093
Forged rods $2000
Shipping $700
Total for Ghassan's work: $13292-$500 discount: $12792

Turbo labs of america
Both turbos rebuilt $650

AE Motorsports(the local shop that did the work)
Parts for rebuild $5465
Labor $7800
Total cost $13265

Out the door total with taxes: $28351

Thankfully I had a warranty that covered everything up to $16K making my out of pocket expenses $12,351.

Some of the $5465 was spent on that were replaced because they are wear items, not because they needed to be replaced for the rebuild. I asked my mechanic to go through everything and replace any items that showed wear. This included every hose, clamp, aux pumps, motor mounts, literally 5+ pages of parts. The same goes for the turbo rebuild. Both turbos were still functioning but I wanted to ensure they would last for quite some time, so I had them rebuilt while they were removed from the vehicle. Everything that can fail under the hood is new.

When the engine failed I had a choice of either having it rebuilt or buying a used engine and just simply putting it in. The used engine option would of cost around $18-20K, so a bit less than the rebuild. That said, not knowing the history of the engine, and seeing S63s regularly fail I just didn't want to take the risk. Thankfully I got a great deal on the vehicle and purchased the warranty, otherwise I probably would of just parted it out.
2019 i3
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2019, 11:32 AM   #184
quick
Captain
Rep
Drives: '12 X5M, '01 E55, '91 964 Trbo

Quote:

Thankfully I had a warranty that covered everything up to $16K .

Would they still cover you in future or have you used all that they would offer? I have a feeling, this is it and regardless of how much time is left over, your coverage is done, correct?

Warranty company?
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2019, 10:56 PM   #185
laselvasurf
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by quick View Post
Would they still cover you in future or have you used all that they would offer? I have a feeling, this is it and regardless of how much time is left over, your coverage is done, correct?

Warranty company?
Warranty is done. They cover $16K in repairs and then the contract is terminated. The company was PRCo and I'd definitely recommend them.

I'm looking at possibly getting another warranty, as I'm fairly certain it'll pay for itself... Even after spending many thousands on preventative maintenance.
2019 i3
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2019, 01:35 PM   #186
ncbimma
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW X5M

Garage List
I had the same crossroad...rebuild or replacement and i chose replacement at the same cost you mention.

Now I'm in the state of fear that again anything can fail as unknown history, so I've removed the downpipes , tune and soon exhaust.

I just cannot afford to mess up this engine now. Warranty did cover cost but I've maxed out my stay and have no coverage now with this replacement.

If I would do it again, I'd forge everything and and buy the built engine.

I miss being the fastest common car on the roads....
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2019, 02:25 PM   #187
Sophisticated Redneck
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW X5 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncbimma View Post
I had the same crossroad...rebuild or replacement and i chose replacement at the same cost you mention.

Now I'm in the state of fear that again anything can fail as unknown history, so I've removed the downpipes , tune and soon exhaust.

I just cannot afford to mess up this engine now. Warranty did cover cost but I've maxed out my stay and have no coverage now with this replacement.

If I were in your shoes (and I kinda am), I would just replace the oil pump now. On the m5 boards the s63 failures points to a defective oil pump shaft separation. I have a high mileage N63 and I don't trust it's pump after reading all these issues with the S63 (think it's the same pump)so going to replace mine just as preventative maintenance. Anyone with a first gen s63 should too. Looks to be a pretty easy job too and can be done in a few hours in the X5. After I get done with my heads (valve stem seal replacement turned into a full port and polish job on the heads) I'm going to replace the pump in mine, want the peace of mind, especially with over a 150k on the clock

Last edited by Sophisticated Redneck; 12-02-2019 at 02:43 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2019, 04:09 PM   #188
laselvasurf
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by quick View Post

Warranty company?
You are correct. The warranty is terminated at $16K or 85% of the value of the vehicle, which ever is less. The company is PRCo and I would highly recommend them.
2019 i3
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2019, 04:13 PM   #189
laselvasurf
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:

It was a hard decision, and to be honest the most difficult part about choosing the rebuild option was the time it took. Start to finish was 7 months without the vehicle.

That said, I would recommend anyone in a similar situation to rebuild or buy a built engine as I am confident in the build and Ghassan has warrantied the engine for 2 years. He's mentioned the engine is good well into 750+ HP with the forged internals. I'm not going to push it that far... But it's good to know he stands behind his work.

I'm headed the opposite direction as you and am looking for downpipes, exhaust and plan on tuning it. I also plan on finding another warranty company crazy enough to cover it before I get too carried away.
2019 i3
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2019, 08:01 AM   #190
ncbimma
Private First Class
Rep

Garage List
Quote:

I'm headed the opposite direction as you and am looking for downpipes, exhaust and plan on tuning it. I also plan on finding another warranty company crazy enough to cover it before I get too carried away.
Let me know if you're interested in parts most are less than a 6mos old. (VRSF catless DPs, Fabspeed Supercup exhaust, Velos Stg2 Tune, Sprint Booster v2, GFB DV+) I'm slowly pulling them off in my spare time. The machine was savage with this setup.

Check out Fidelity for a warranty co.- they covered my entire engine, and rental during the downtime. They also didn't snoop around much when under review- if you catch my drift.
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2019, 08:41 AM   #191
X5MBeast
Private
Rep
Drives: X5M

Quote:
Let me know if you're interested in parts most are less than a 6mos old. (VRSF catless DPs, Fabspeed Supercup exhaust, Velos Stg2 Tune, Sprint Booster v2, GFB DV+) I'm slowly pulling them off in my spare time. The machine was savage with this setup.

Check out Fidelity for a warranty co.- they covered my entire engine, and rental during the downtime. They also didn't snoop around much when under review- if you catch my drift.

Did you notice any difference with the gfb pd bs the stock pd?
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2019, 02:49 PM   #192
ncbimma
Private First Class
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by X5MBeast View Post
Did you notice any difference with the gfb pd bs the stock pd?
placebo effect really...I did (2) mods at once that enhanced the throttle response so not sure which is responsible but post mod I do have a more immediate lunge on throttle input.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2019, 10:24 AM   #193
g.diddy
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW X5 M

Garage List
2016 BMW X5 M  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by RSmokos View Post
I've owned mine less than 90 days, and had the local dealer here inspect it, pull the maintenance before I bought it, then had him do the VSS after I did buy it. He said the vehicle is in very good condition. Then seize in less than 2 months.

The dealer here in Illinois is pretty big and a well known dealer with BMWNA I'd imagine and has some pull for their customers (me). You'll have to go to BMWNA to get the customer assistance and without a franchisee getting any revenue out of the deal (your indie), there's nothing in it for them. My recommendation (which was my plan B) was to get a quote from Ghassan or have my local indie (who is pretty good) do the rebuild and make is stronger. Seems Ghassan is around $11K plus whatever strengthening you want to do. I was prepared for $14K. Not happy with it mind you, but not tossing away a $28K car I just bought and equally unhappy with paying $39 for a 2013. All in all a shit sandwich. I've owned 8 BMWs over the last 30 years in my life and this is a first.
Sorry to add to this thread a little late, but does anyone know if a joint complaint has been filed with BMWNA that I can join in on?

I purchased a 2016 BMW X5 M in Dec 2018 with only 31,156 miles on it. The vehicle was purchased with factory warranty still in effect. From the history report, the vehicle had the oil changed every 5,000 miles. Since I have owned the vehicle, I have had to have it serviced for a swaybar replacement due to fluid leak (Jan 2019) and friction discs installed per bulletin 34 05 15 to eliminate a "clicking" noise when turning (Aug 2019).

Last month, while on the highway traveling at 60 mph, the transmission suddenly, and randomly, downshifted. The engine over-rev’ed but I was able to quickly pull over while putting it into neutral.

I got the vehicle to the dealer where I was told bad the bad news:

-Rod bearing has excessive play.
-Bearing caps also had visible heat stress and scoring.
-Cylinder #2 and #5 have cylinder wall scoring.
-Drained oil and found excessive metal debris in engine oil.
-Found big chunks of metal debris in parts of engine and engine oil pan.

Equally bad, they explained that the factory warranty expired by 5 days, even though the vehicle only has 36,800 miles on it, because BMW is going by 36 months from the in-service date.

I escalated to BMWNA who deferred to the regional team; both offered no goodwill because they want me to use my extended warranty (National Warranty).

A new engine was shipped from Germany and is in the final stages of being complete and fortunately I have $0 deductible on this, but now my extended warranty will be depleted if I decide to sell the vehicle ($4,000) contract.

I'm really unhappy with BMWNA's and the regional team's positions on this and am wanting to see what my remedy options are.
Appreciate 1
      06-18-2020, 03:30 PM   #194
apriorius
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2013 X5M

Add me to the blown motor list. 2013 X5M, all maintenance performed when the computer said to (spent over $6k in maintenance in the three years preceding). Motor blew at just over 90k miles. Pan was pulled and cam is shot. Last BMW I'll ever own. Garbage cars.
Appreciate 2
m34SPD306.50
TTV8M121.00
      06-18-2020, 04:07 PM   #195
daniel717
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW X5 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by apriorius View Post
Add me to the blown motor list. 2013 X5M, all maintenance performed when the computer said to (spent over $6k in maintenance in the three years preceding). Motor blew at just over 90k miles. Pan was pulled and cam is shot. Last BMW I'll ever own. Garbage cars.
You went through all the trouble of registering for a BMW Enthusiast forum, just so you could post that you will never own one again??
Appreciate 1
TTV8M121.00
      06-18-2020, 06:04 PM   #196
Edwardscarpa
Rep
Drives: Bmw x5

Making a post reply need help with a different issue appologies for this comment
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2020, 12:43 AM   #197
pdX5M
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E70 X5M

Garage List
2013 BMW X5 M  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by apriorius View Post
"When the computer said to"....there's part of your problem man. What the iDrive system recommends and what should actually be done to maintain an M car are two very different things.
- 2013 X5 M - Silverstone Metallic w/ Black Perforated Complete Merino - All OEM Options - 12.5mm/20mm Spacers - Velos Stage 2 - xHP Stage 3 - AA Catless - Megan Racing Supremo - PTP Blanket - K&N Drop In -
Appreciate 1
TTV8M121.00
      06-19-2020, 09:44 AM   #198
Dawgz
2022 M4 Comp Xdrive
Rep
Drives: 2022 M4 Comp Xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by g.diddy View Post
Sorry to add to this thread a little late, but does anyone know if a joint complaint has been filed with BMWNA that I can join in on?

I purchased a 2016 BMW X5 M in Dec 2018 with only 31,156 miles on it. The vehicle was purchased with factory warranty still in effect. From the history report, the vehicle had the oil changed every 5,000 miles. Since I have owned the vehicle, I have had to have it serviced for a swaybar replacement due to fluid leak (Jan 2019) and friction discs installed per bulletin 34 05 15 to eliminate a "clicking" noise when turning (Aug 2019).

Last month, while on the highway traveling at 60 mph, the transmission suddenly, and randomly, downshifted. The engine over-rev’ed but I was able to quickly pull over while putting it into neutral.

I got the vehicle to the dealer where I was told bad the bad news:

-Rod bearing has excessive play.
-Bearing caps also had visible heat stress and scoring.
-Cylinder #2 and #5 have cylinder wall scoring.
-Drained oil and found excessive metal debris in engine oil.
-Found big chunks of metal debris in parts of engine and engine oil pan.

Equally bad, they explained that the factory warranty expired by 5 days, even though the vehicle only has 36,800 miles on it, because BMW is going by 36 months from the in-service date.

I escalated to BMWNA who deferred to the regional team; both offered no goodwill because they want me to use my extended warranty (National Warranty).

A new engine was shipped from Germany and is in the final stages of being complete and fortunately I have $0 deductible on this, but now my extended warranty will be depleted if I decide to sell the vehicle ($4,000) contract.

I'm really unhappy with BMWNA's and the regional team's positions on this and am wanting to see what my remedy options are.

So basically u paid 4k to save yourself from 45k. Not bad.
Appreciate 0