XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

11-07-2019, 05:51 PM   #1
ncbimma
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW X5M

Garage List
Window suddenly won't roll down

Anyone have this issue?

Back story, my window worked fine auto up and down...had a repair done for a ps pump and now one touch stopped working only on front windows.

I was messing around with initializing the driver window by holding the switch up for extended time and all of a sudden the window stopped rolling down.

I assume I reset the limit incorrectly and stuck ball the way up bc of the setting.

Anyone know the proper procedure to redo this correctly?

Tried many of the web's search results to no avail.
Window is trying to roll but I think the limits are now screwy
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2019, 07:31 PM   #2
X5MBeast
Private
Rep
Drives: X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncbimma View Post
Anyone have this issue?

Back story, my window worked fine auto up and down...had a repair done for a ps pump and now one touch stopped working only on front windows.

I was messing around with initializing the driver window by holding the switch up for extended time and all of a sudden the window stopped rolling down.

I assume I reset the limit incorrectly and stuck ball the way up bc of the setting.

Anyone know the proper procedure to redo this correctly?

Tried many of the web's search results to no avail.
Window is trying to roll but I think the limits are now screwy

A window crank must be initialised to make sure that the anti-trap mechanism works in a trouble-free manner. Window cranks without an anti-trap mechanism cannot be initialised.

An anti-trap mechanism is always present if the window can be closed in automatic mode (toll function). There are then additional sensors in the power window drive that can record the position of the window in question. No anti-trap mechanism is required for the "window open" automatic mode.

Initialise power windows
On initialisation of the power windows, two parameters are learned by the control unit:

-
Upper end stop (normalisation of the power windows).

-
Power characteristic curve for opening and closing (learning the characteristic curve).

A power window is to be initialised:

In the event of malfunctions, e.g. no one-touch function (automatic mode) possible for closing, no convenient closing possible, window reverses without anything being trapped

Following the replacement of the power window drive

Following repair work on the window seals or power-window mechanism

Following the replacement or reprogramming of the control unit

Preconditions
The following preconditions must be met to ensure initialisation can be carried out correctly:

-
Vehicle stationary.

-
Adequate battery voltage present, connect charger is necessary.

-
Terminal ”R” or terminal ”15” switched on

-
All doors closed.

The initialisation can be carried out using the control switch in each door or the power-window switch block in the driver's door.

In addition, the initialisation can also be carried out with the service function "Initialise power windows".

Deleting the initialisation (de-calibration)
Deleting an initialisation (de-calibration) and subsequent re-initialisation can remedy sporadic incorrect shutdowns in the power window automatic mode (toll mode).

Execution with operating switch

Open the window of each door completely. Press and hold in the operating switch completely (switch position: automatic mode) for longer than 15 seconds and less than 20 seconds

De-calibration was successful when the automatic mode (toll function) is no longer possible for the "Close window" function.

Execution of initialisation via operating switches
The re-initialisation is carried out as follows:

-
Fully close the window by pulling the switch so that the top end stop is reached (normalisation).

-
Then open the window completely so that the lower end stop is reached.

-
Then pull the operating switch into the "automatic mode, close" (toll function, close) position and hold it there until the window has reached the top end stop (learning the characteristic curve).

The initialisation was successful if the window can be opened and closed without errors in the automatic mode (toll mode).
Appreciate 2
      11-08-2019, 05:14 AM   #3
ncbimma
Private First Class
Rep

Garage List
Thanks. I will try the 15 sec less then 20 sec process. Something has to reset that limit.

I could live with no "toll/auto" function but now the damn thing won't even operate open at all...lol

(Makes me love my '72 2002 with manual window cranks..)
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2019, 07:37 AM   #4
ncbimma
Private First Class
Rep

Garage List
Still not crying joy on this.

I took it to my local indy to initialize too and they are having no luck.

I'm assuming the FRM somehow got hosed when the powersteering pump was replaced...not sure how any of this would be related...

As it stands:
* windows operate fine: up and down when holding button/ down one touch
* up one touch is not working= I cannot roll windows up via remote anymore (all but the front windows)
* coding is set for comfort
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2019, 11:27 AM   #5
frankenm
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 12' X5M, 99 M3

It’s most likely your FRM - BMW will replace it for free.

The older ones die from the battery getting disconnected....

Eventually everything will stop working - for me my windows would act really weird for a few months then eventually after I did some work and had the battery unplugged it stopped working completely and I couldn’t control any of my windows or lights
Appreciate 1
ncbimma100.00
      12-24-2020, 11:31 AM   #6
lor3n
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335d 2011

Did you ever get this issue resolved? I’m having the same problem on my 2012 x5 35d.
Appreciate 0