XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

07-11-2020, 05:15 PM   #1
msan
Major
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3 / 2012 X5 35i M Sp

2012 X5 35i N55 Valve Cover replacement - Advie and luck appreciated

So...I just finished replacing all the spark plugs and coils due to water intrusion from the center engine partition leaking....a lot of fun that was....

Then, not a few weeks later I realize I have an engine oil leak somewhere. Vehicle drips oil more on the passenger side. I am guessing a valve cover gasket leak. My car is a 2012 and has over 102k miles on it. I will be replacing the entire cover and gasket, not just the gasket.

I have watched numerous Youtube videos, some for X5 and some for just an N55 to get a feel for what was involved over and above a normal spark plug change. Here are links to the videos and posts I found helpful.

e92 experience:
https://www.e90post.com/forums/showt...php?p=18946466

2011 X5 video:

Another X5 video:

F10 535 N55 video:

Anyways, all my tools and parts should be here on Monday and will probably tackle this on Tuesday.

Tips I have learned before tackling the job include:

1. Take off negative battery terminal to prevent fuel pump from activating while working since you will be removing fuel injector lines. Taking it off the night before is even better since this will allow fuel line pressure to lessen.
2. Get 12 party balloons to put on the injectors and fuel rail openings to prevent debris from entering them.
3. Use some paracord to help lift/remove the valve cover. Apparently, they are usually stuck on pretty good and there are not too many places on the cover to get a good grip on it. The paracord is used in the front two holes that don't have screws in them, along the front edge of valve cover. You can thread the cord in those two holes and lift it with the paracord to get the removal started.
4. TIS calls for transmission oil on the threads of the injector lines when reinstalling but I am going to go without since (A) I don't have transmission oil and (B) if I did have oil I might get some in the fuel line by accident.

I am going to use a Dorman 264-937 brand valve cover. It is made in China. Only reason I am using it is because for some reason it was $134 before tax at Amazon.com. Now I see it as $334 +tax. We will see how it does. Took some pics of it (see bottom of this post). Anew genuine BMW cover is $400-$500.

I believe I will need t-25 (majority of non-valve cover screws), t-30 (one screw for the oxygen sensor connector harness), E6 socket for two screws, and E10 socket for the 26 valve cover screws. Also a torque wrench that can do in/lbs for the valve cover screws...very little needed...like 6 ft/lbs.

Also got a crows foot flare nut wrench set for the fuel injector lines. I believe the union nuts are 14mm.

Wish me luck! and feel free to comment on any advice or your experiences!

Thanks!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-13-2020, 01:28 PM   #2
mitch808
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2012 X5 35i

My X5 35i is currently in the shop to be picked up today, and that service with parts is $1323. 4.5hrs labor, and roughly $600 in parts, the cover being $568 alone.

It was a major source of leaking I've had for more than a year now. Along with a torn rubber thing related I think to vacuum or PCV. (Caused a whistle at low load speeds)

I'm at around 115k miles now, it's a main family hauler for 3 kids, wife and doggo.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2020, 10:56 AM   #3
daniel717
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW X5 35i

This is next on the list for me. Shop said there is minor leak on the turbo side. So far it is small enough that it hasn't really effected oil consumption (I've had it for 3,000 miles and oil is still at Max) I am at 112k on 2012 X5 (N55). My shop quoted $1200 I believe for same job.

Good luck and lookin forward to seeing how it does for you
Appreciate 0