XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

07-06-2019, 02:05 PM   #375
ddinse
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: bmw 328d x drive

Quote:
Originally Posted by boneca View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddinse View Post
All finished. Started Friday. Lots of late nights after work but I think it turned out OK
I admire your dedication, not an easy job for sure!

not feeling the blue accents but as long as u like it that's all what matters.
Thanks gang for the compliments. Told my daughter she needs to keep it under 70 or it will all peel off....
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2019, 03:50 PM   #376
boneca
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW X5

Garage List
2013 BMW X5M  [10.00]
2011 BMW X5  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddinse View Post
Told my daughter she needs to keep it under 70 or it will all peel off....

hahaha u bet
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2019, 07:59 AM   #377
Spyro235
Captain
Rep
Drives: '10 X5D, '04 330i ZHP

Ok guys. Today and tomorrow are devoted to my dirtbike, getting the speedo cable swapped and the seized rear caliper swapped out too. After that, it's X5 time!

As for happenings, I'm about at 226k miles, and while towing this past weekend, I realized that if I shift manually 4-5 under boost, my trans completely misses 5th gear. Dash shows m5, and it gets out of 4th... and then doesnt hit 5th, just slams back into 4th and keeps revving in 4th. I believe this is due to a weakened solenoid, as under normal driving it will occasionally flare, but mostly just shift normally. I've been putting off a trans service, which is now officially going to happen before the long tow.

Here/s the shortlist of things to do before the end of august, when I'll be towing 6000 lbs of driftcar/tools/gear 2000 miles round trip to wisconsin for a big midwest event.

1) Install my new steering wheel. Bought a heated sport unit in nearly immaculate condition from ucsbwsr. Just got the airbag cover in from china, which I believe to be an OEM unit, as it's got the bmw logos, and stamps, and even a "germany" stamp, which I believe is from the airbag being mated to the cover in germany for bmw. Who knows though. Can't wait to put this on, it's happening this weekend.

2) Finally put in my new glow plug controller. Been sitting on this module since... march. Needs to go in, and it'll be the first time I ever drive this car with no CEL! Hopefully that's the issue and plug #5 isn't actually bad...

3) I have my tensions struts to replace. Another quick afternoon job, shouldn't take long. Just need to pop the new ones on, and I've never aligned the car so I'll probably get an alignment. I get $50 alignments through a sweet tire shop that sponsors me and other local drifters, so for $50 bucks I might as well know it's perfect. Hopefully this cures my wheel shake / throbbing on the highway/braking.

4)Big transmission service. I'm going to replace all the gear solenoids, in addition to doing the pan/filter, fluid, and the mech seals. I'm hoping with all new seals, and new solenoids, that the trans feels like brand new. I'm hoping to get rid of the flare between shifts under more than low throttle, and really feel what sutphin's tune can do when my trans isn't hindering performance. This will give me TONS of peace of mind, as bought the car at 203.5k miles and have no knowledge of the trans ever being serviced.

5) MAYBE change the differential oils. I'm considering jsut putting this off, because after my big event on september 1 and 2, It'll be time to buy diffs, and attempt the diff swap to 50i 3.15 gears. With any luck, ucsbwsr will have gotten to it already, and I'll know exactly what I need to do! Personally, I'm hoping for a 3-5 mpg increase, even though I know that's hopeful. I think the 70 mph cruise going from 2000 rpm to 1700 rpm could really make a huge difference in consumption.

All of this, with big drift event in the middle on august 4 and 5, and the fact that for any of these jobs I need to have my drift car 100% ready to go to bring me to work. Drift car performed flawlessly all day in 90-95* heat on friday and saturday, but my AC was giving me issues. Having that checked out today/ tomorrow by a mechanic, because sometimes it's just easier for someone who's an expert to diagnose a system I'm not super familiar with. Once the AC is settled in that, I'm willing to tear into my X5. Now, the goal with all of these jobs is to not take more than an afternoon, and I'm hoping the trans is just a 3/4 day project, but I'd like to have an alternative to riding a motorcycle to work in 90*+ heat days, should it come to that. The bucket seat is great for drifting, but it'll be interesting to commute 100 miles in.
Nyc Dito112.50
ddinse4.50
      07-10-2019, 08:47 AM   #378
Nyc Dito
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 35d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spyro235 View Post
All of this, with big drift event in the middle on august 4 and 5, and the fact that for any of these jobs I need to have my drift car 100% ready to go to bring me to work. Drift car performed flawlessly all day in 90-95* heat on friday and saturday, but my AC was giving me issues.
Sounds awesome, any footage I can find of event or your car?

As for my E70, replaced the reverse bulbs with these...

07-10-2019, 09:09 AM   #379
Spyro235
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyc Dito View Post
Sounds awesome, any footage I can find of event or your car?

As for my E70, replaced the reverse bulbs with these...

How do you like the new bulbs? I HATE how dim the e70's reverse lights are. Can't see anything in the camera.

That's me on saturday, Second time ever at this track and I was hucking it right up to the wall, on the banked/ walled turn. It's crazy intense just staying flat out on the entrance to the bank, you're facing the wall, climbing the bank, and the you whip it as late as your balls allow to try to get up nice and cozy with the wall. If you glance at my other videos you can see in car perspectives from the tracks I drive at pocono raceway. Didn't bring my gopro this past weekend, unfortunately.

I see you're in NYC, if you wanted to come to Pocono bash (at pocono raceway), it's a hoot of a time as a spectator, and you'd be welcome to hang with whoever comes with me. I'm good friends with chrisfix, so I usually pit with him, and I'm also having a buddy who drifts in michigan come down to drift that event too. I'll probably be bringing a few friends, one of which homebrews and will bring a keg or two of his latest brews. I'm also looking forward to meeting a a friend's boyfriend who's bringing a roush charged coyote swapped e46- did everything himself and created an absolute monster of a car. the future of my car isn't THAT cool, but hey someday soon I'll be supercharged around 400hp.

Last edited by Spyro235; 07-10-2019 at 09:15 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2019, 10:03 AM   #380
Nyc Dito
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
How do you like the new bulbs? I HATE how dim the e70's reverse lights are. Can't see anything in the camera.
Just installed this morning and waiting until nightfall to really see if there's any real difference lol . I got the idea from the Tacoma guys on their forums.

Cool vid! I might be up for Pocono's and thanks for the invite to hang. That roush charged coyote E46 sounds like a monster!
      07-10-2019, 11:53 AM   #381
rconti
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: x5 3.5d, Clownshoe, Tesla 3

Just joined the board recently. Bought a loaded 138k mile 2011 3.5d from a BMWCCA buddy.
Registered it yesterday. Slapped on a 1up single bike rack, going for a long bicycle ride in the mountains this weekend, so I'll be starting a 500mi roadtrip with my new ride tomorrow afternoon.

Put in "error-free" LED turn signal bulbs in the rear yesterday. Immediately got errors for brake lights and turn signals. Long story short, turns out my brake bulbs were on the verge of failure; I swapped them for my old incandescent turn signal bulbs which looked like new.

Both reverse lights were OUT. why I didn't get errors before I pulled the carriers, who knows. Maybe the jostling was enough to end the lives of all 4 non-LED bulbs. *shrug*

Ordered a few replacement parts. right side 3rd row seatbelt clip for black trim. Oddly, RealOEM says there IS NO CLIP for black color trim after 2010, but they have the clip for all 3 other trim colors. and they have the left side clip in black. Yup. 4 colors, 2 sides. 7 part numbers. When I ordered it on FCPeuro, they even told me it "won't fit" my 2011 x5. The part is there on my car (the spring), it's just the plastic clip itself that apparently broke off.

Also a new tiedown ring since only 3 of the 4 work, 1 is busted.

Also a euro driver's side mirror, from russia, via eBay, to arrive sometime this year

Probably ordering euro taillights soon, I hate red turn signals with a passion. Saw a forum post here saying amber weisslict turn signal bulbs light up amber despite the red lens. WRONG. (well, okay, weisslict are NLA, I went with some amazon $20 "Error free" ones that otherwise work great).
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2019, 11:58 AM   #382
Spyro235
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Just installed this morning and waiting until nightfall to really see if there's any real difference lol . I got the idea from the Tacoma guys on their forums.
Looking forward to results. I've been debating doing a "ucsbwsr e61" style reverse light, mounting a 6" rigid lightbar behind my diff somewhere, with a very wide beam format, to provide light on the ground at night backing up. In the scheme of things, $80 is pennies, but I've been leaking money on my vehicles lately so it'd be something I'd have to commit to. Still need to buy groceries....
Nyc Dito112.50
      07-10-2019, 12:03 PM   #383
Nyc Dito
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rconti View Post

Probably ordering euro taillights soon, I hate red turn signals with a passion. Saw a forum post here saying amber weisslict turn signal bulbs light up amber despite the red lens. WRONG. (well, okay, weisslict are NLA, I went with some amazon $20 "Error free" ones that otherwise work great).
Every comparison I have found online doesn't seem the show that much of a difference. Is it really that different in person? All the images i found of amber turns look like and amber bulb shining thru a red lens.
      07-10-2019, 06:39 PM   #384
NorthCountryGuy
The Quiet One
Rep
Drives: M6, E70, E71

Garage List
2013 X6 M  [0.00]
2013 M6  [0.00]
2013 X5 LCI 35i Spo ...  [0.00]
2013 X5 LCI 35i  [0.00]
Changed out oil today.
First time using my new QuickJack. Did work well. I might just leave the frames on the floor under the parked car. They are heavy to move around, and I did have them up against and braced to the wall.

The first lock position is for pulling a tire. Second lock position is full elevation. I feel better with the jackstands there.
Attached Images

2013 X6 M Sapphire Black Metallic / Black Merino \ Carbon Fiber - Son’s
Appreciate 1
Nyc Dito112.50
      07-10-2019, 08:55 PM   #385
rconti
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: x5 3.5d, Clownshoe, Tesla 3

Quote:
Every comparison I have found online doesn't seem the show that much of a difference. Is it really that different in person? All the images i found of amber turns look like and amber bulb shining thru a red lens.
Nope! They look identical. Or, rather, they look more LED-ish. Brighter, flash faster, etc. But the color looks red red red.

Still trying to figure out if I can get away with just buying euro outers, or if I need outer+inner taillights. Some pretty cheap ones on eBay right now if I just need the outers. Also getting conflicting information on whether going LCI-LCI Euro causes an error or not. I AM reading that they're plug-and-play, so I'm having a hard time figuring out how weird it could possibly look to have euro outers and US inners. I imagine they illuminate the same other than the turn signals, but I don't know for sure. And I'd rather not spend the money and find out the coding to remove the errors applies for all 4 pieces, and then once I code to remove errors for the euros, the US inners cause an error.. or something. I don't know, only ever done VAG coding, never on BMW before.
Appreciate 1
Nyc Dito112.50
      07-11-2019, 07:18 AM   #386
Nyc Dito
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Looking forward to results. I've been debating doing a "ucsbwsr e61" style reverse light, mounting a 6" rigid lightbar behind my diff somewhere, with a very wide beam format, to provide light on the ground at night backing up. In the scheme of things, $80 is pennies, but I've been leaking money on my vehicles lately so it'd be something I'd have to commit to. Still need to buy groceries....
I was not impressed. Further reading on the Tacoma forums i saw how one guy was not getting the power output he expected since the factory wiring was limiting the power being given to that bulb/harness. I can only imagine BMW does something similar. If it doesnt rain tonight I'll have one of these installed and the other side the stock bulb to show for comparison.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthCountryGuy View Post
Changed out oil today.
First time using my new QuickJack. Did work well. I might just leave the frames on the floor under the parked car. They are heavy to move around, and I did have them up against and braced to the wall.

The first lock position is for pulling a tire. Second lock position is full elevation. I feel better with the jackstands there.
Thats pretty cool lift, but I'd be nervous the whole time under that thing! Jack stands a big YES lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by rconti View Post
Nope! They look identical. Or, rather, they look more LED-ish. Brighter, flash faster, etc. But the color looks red red red.

Still trying to figure out if I can get away with just buying euro outers, or if I need outer+inner taillights. Some pretty cheap ones on eBay right now if I just need the outers. Also getting conflicting information on whether going LCI-LCI Euro causes an error or not. I AM reading that they're plug-and-play, so I'm having a hard time figuring out how weird it could possibly look to have euro outers and US inners. I imagine they illuminate the same other than the turn signals, but I don't know for sure. And I'd rather not spend the money and find out the coding to remove the errors applies for all 4 pieces, and then once I code to remove errors for the euros, the US inners cause an error.. or something. I don't know, only ever done VAG coding, never on BMW before.
Ahh, cant wait to see and when do them please post some good pics. I follow a guy on IG from Japan and he did the US red tails and removed his ambers..go figure!
      07-11-2019, 07:41 AM   #387
Spyro235
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Changed out oil today.

I've thought about quickjacks for a while, but decided I'd either go for a full size 2 post or a mini 2 post like maxjacks, something like that. Maxjacks are on wheels and can be unbolter from the floor, so if you don't need the for a while or don't want the posts out you can just wheel them to the size of your garage. I'm considering a set of maxjacks for my shop, but I'm probably just going to suffer a while longer until I actually own property one day and can have a shop at my home.
      07-13-2019, 08:40 AM   #388
0-60Motorsports
Brigadier General
Bahrain
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 JB 04 Coupe

Did an Oil change for the X5M with the BMW twin power oil 5W30, changed the front and rear sway bar links that had torn boots all around, installed the new BMW floating center caps as my original ones were corroded. Replaced the driver side window controls trim with one from AliExpress. Easy job.

Need to change out the rear roundel as the original one fell off but didn't have adhesive remover so will have to do that in the next few days.

Edit: I do oil changes every 5000km's.
2011 VW Golf R DSG White/Black
IG: @060Motorsports
Appreciate 1
Nyc Dito112.50
      07-13-2019, 04:23 PM   #389
quick
Captain
Rep
Drives: '12 X5M, '01 E55, '91 964 Trbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0-60Motorsports View Post
Did an Oil change for the X5M with the BMW twin power oil 5W30,

Edit: I do oil changes every 5000km's.
Where did you get the oil and did you use any additive? Don't dealers use some sort of additive with the engine oil?
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2019, 12:42 AM   #390
0-60Motorsports
Brigadier General
Bahrain
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 JB 04 Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by quick View Post
Where did you get the oil and did you use any additive? Don't dealers use some sort of additive with the engine oil?
I am in Bahrain and yes this time i did buy from the dealer, usually i buy from other non dealer stores but the same oil. I have a close friend and he has more than 270k kms on his X5M and he changes his oil and filter every 5-7000km. I have always done the same regardless with all my cars so it should be ok.

Also, dealers do not add any additives and neither did I.
2011 VW Golf R DSG White/Black
IG: @060Motorsports
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2019, 09:26 AM   #391
Lunker325
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E70 X5M / 991.2 C4S

Finished wrapping my wood trim in gloss carbon fiber vinyl. Used the TIS instructions to guide me on removing all the pieces. Took a while but turned out pretty good.

Ordered a 5’ x 5’ section from amazon and some 3M primer 94 pens to be sure the corners stay stuck down.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...0?ie=UTF8&th=1
Attached Images

07-14-2019, 12:53 PM   #392
NorthCountryGuy
The Quiet One
Rep

Garage List
2013 X6 M  [0.00]
2013 M6  [0.00]
2013 X5 LCI 35i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunker325 View Post
Finished wrapping my wood trim in gloss carbon fiber vinyl. Used the TIS instructions to guide me on removing all the pieces. Took a while but turned out pretty good.

Ordered a 5’ x 5’ section from amazon and some 3M primer 94 pens to be sure the corners stay stuck down.

Well done.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2019, 07:42 AM   #393
Nyc Dito
First Lieutenant
Rep

Downloaded xDelete on Friday and the car feels different as expected! I like it and hope to do a trans tune soon. I'm leaning towards xHp (I still need their license), but hear good things about Rod Sutphin as well. Just have to decide I guess..

I also took the E70 to have the layer of tints (previous owner tinted the already tinted factory windows) removed from the rears and tinted the two front windows to match at 35%. The pic shows a bit darker then in person, I like it.

ddinse4.50
      07-18-2019, 06:26 PM   #394
NorthCountryGuy
The Quiet One
Rep

Garage List
2013 X6 M  [0.00]
2013 M6  [0.00]
2013 X5 LCI 35i  [0.00]
Changed out the engine ground strap today. No issues. Just preventative maintenance.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2019, 09:55 AM   #395
ryansbmw
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 X5 35i M-Sport, 2010 535x

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunker325 View Post

Looks very nice.

Forgive my ignorance, but what are the primer pens used for?
      07-19-2019, 10:04 AM   #396
Nyc Dito
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Changed out the engine ground strap today. No issues. Just preventative maintenance.
Is it a "common" issue? I ask since I just got the X in February and haven't come across that under my preventative lists lol