XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X6 Forums > General BMW X6 and X6M Forum

08-13-2019, 05:58 PM   #1
Too__Hu///Mble
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2013 X6 ///M

Cooling Issues Causing Higher Temps?

I'm having cooling issues. Faulty radiator and other components.

I'm surmising that my cooling problem is causing my engine to run warmer than normal.

Under this proposed scenario is it possible to burn oil faster?

No fault codes for any oil or check engine.

I'd like some insight on this scenario. I just thought of this.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2019, 11:29 PM   #2
dreamalaska
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 X6 3.5i

What year and engine do you have? The V8 has noted cooling issues with their auxiliary water pumps, but when a component is going out the multiple computer sensors on the engine are usually pretty good at recording any out of spec errors. I would surmise that one of your pumps is starting to go out and causing the overheat issue. Also the thermostat can be a culprit. Remember the Gasoline engines use ELECTRIC water pumps, and aren't nearly as dependable as the old style mechanical pumps. The diesel I believe still has a mechanical water pump.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2019, 01:20 AM   #3
Too__Hu///Mble
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamalaska View Post
What year and engine do you have? The V8 has noted cooling issues with their auxiliary water pumps, but when a component is going out the multiple computer sensors on the engine are usually pretty good at recording any out of spec errors. I would surmise that one of your pumps is starting to go out and causing the overheat issue. Also the thermostat can be a culprit. Remember the Gasoline engines use ELECTRIC water pumps, and aren't nearly as dependable as the old style mechanical pumps. The diesel I believe still has a mechanical water pump.
Pumps are good. But I'm more focused on the oil burn. With a warmer running engine.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2019, 09:46 AM   #4
Colodano
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2010 X5M

You are missing the forest for the trees on this question.

There is a chance that running hotter than normal may burn off some oil... but you are in danger of much worse, i.e. warped heads, blown head gaskets, broken ringlands, failed turbos etc.

Unless you have an obvious issue like a leaking radiator, I would start off checking thermostats and water pumps, and getting the cooling issue remedied.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2019, 12:45 PM   #5
Too__Hu///Mble
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colodano View Post
You are missing the forest for the trees on this question.

There is a chance that running hotter than normal may burn off some oil... but you are in danger of much worse, i.e. warped heads, blown head gaskets, broken ringlands, failed turbos etc.

Unless you have an obvious issue like a leaking radiator, I would start off checking thermostats and water pumps, and getting the cooling issue remedied.
I agree. It's why I asked. The cooling issues are being addressed now. While it's there these question came to mind.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2019, 12:48 PM   #6
Too__Hu///Mble
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamalaska View Post
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2019, 12:47 PM   #7
Too__Hu///Mble
Private First Class
Rep

This whole time I had a bad pcv valve and a leaky radiator.

Bring your car to an experienced tech.

So much head ache in between
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2019, 06:35 AM   #8
yco
i'm just saying
Rep
Drives: E71 X6M '10 (sold)

first of all are you sure that all the radiators are clean and working properly and they re not blocked? there are 2 intercoolers in front of front wheels and more in the middle as you might know.. if they re blocked by bugs, plate, or a pipe etc. it can cause overheating easily.. its not a season in NY to cause overheating.. generally since the ones in front of the tires, can get dirty easily cause front wheels sprey water behind those coolers.. after some time intercoolers back part becomes like it covered by dried mud.. you can grow a flower over there..

another easy thing to start is to check the ratio of coolant.. it needs to be 50/50 water and BMW blue coolant.. to measure that, you can check it or make it checked by a small gadget that measures the sugar level etc in the coolant.. other one you can taste it by yourself it shouldnt be that sweet..

since winter is coming, you ll need at least like -20 but not more resistant to freezing.. if you have something like -30 you can take some of the coolant out and add the same amount of distilled water.. and bleed the system properly.. at the same point another question arises.. are you sure that there is no air in the cooling system? it can happen between season changes and how frequent you drive the car.. and it can get worse by time if it didnt bleed properly since you re saying you were having problems recently.. there might be some air in the system.. these are the 3 easy things to check and they re pretty important.. if all of these are ok, you probably have a bigger issue..

but above all S63 do burn some oil if you dont warm the oil properly before pushing.. if you re doing it, you need to stop it as well.. you ll lose less oil like that..