XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

02-24-2020, 06:09 AM   #1
quick
Captain
Rep
Drives: '12 X5M, '01 E55, '91 964 Trbo

Misfire.... Calling all big hitters...

If I don't have to take it to the nearest dealer (75 miles- lose at least 1/2 a day of work), that would be awesome

Have a lift at home and a good mechanic but do need to give him the pointers though

2Stock 2012 X5M with 41,000 miles...

About 2 months ago, got a misfire issue, dealer diagnosed misfire Cyl 1 & 3 and suggested we change the plugs

Brought the car back, ordered OE Bosch plugs and changed them all

Misfired again and this time Cyl 1, 2 and 3

Changed the coils with Elgar and it misfired cyl 3

Swapped coil 3 with 2 and the misfired stayed at 3

Replaced the plug in 3 and yet another misfire but this time Cyl 1

so I haven't changed the plug yet but what do you all think, what the heck is going on here?

I am about to throw in the towel and just take it to the dealer to just get over the dang issue?

Am I having a vacuum leak here?

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2020, 06:50 AM   #2
Sophisticated Redneck
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW X5 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by quick View Post
If I don't have to take it to the nearest dealer (75 miles- lose at least 1/2 a day of work), that would be awesome

Have a lift at home and a good mechanic but do need to give him the pointers though

2Stock 2012 X5M with 41,000 miles...

About 2 months ago, got a misfire issue, dealer diagnosed misfire Cyl 1 & 3 and suggested we change the plugs

Brought the car back, ordered OE Bosch plugs and changed them all

Misfired again and this time Cyl 1, 2 and 3

Changed the coils with Elgar and it misfired cyl 3

Swapped coil 3 with 2 and the misfired stayed at 3

Replaced the plug in 3 and yet another misfire but this time Cyl 1

so I haven't changed the plug yet but what do you all think, what the heck is going on here?

I am about to throw in the towel and just take it to the dealer to just get over the dang issue?

Am I having a vacuum leak here?

Thanks
Check the bolts on the valve cover that hold down the coil/injector wiring harness on that side of the engine, they are grounding points and need to be tight. Check the CCV tubes that runs to the lower intake manifold on that side. It could be cracked which is very common. Run ISTA or grab and app like torque and a OB2 adapter to monitor your fuel rail pressure for that side, possible HPFP issue.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2020, 07:03 AM   #3
quick
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophisticated Redneck View Post
Check the bolts on the valve cover that hold down the coil/injector wiring harness on that side of the engine, they are grounding points and need to be tight. Check the CCV tubes that runs to the lower intake manifold on that side. It could be cracked which is very common. Run ISTA or grab and app like torque and a OB2 adapter to monitor your fuel rail pressure for that side, possible HPFP issue.
Sorry for my ignorance, but possible to guide me to couple of pictures of the hold down bolts and the CCV tubes or the rough area where and what to look for?

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2020, 10:13 AM   #4
eDubz
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2012 X5M

Possibly a cracked breather tube...happened to me on my 2012.

2013 X3 35i M-Sport
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2020, 10:16 AM   #5
TwinSnailz
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 X5//M

Having some kind of a bmw car scanner is mandatory when owning one of these complex machine. It helps a lot of unnecessary dealer/shop visits.

Couple time I had misfires was when i forgot to plug in the cam position sensor. The other was when i removing the valve cover and damaged one. Both time Ista picked it up.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2020, 10:38 AM   #6
quick
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwinSnailz View Post
Having some kind of a bmw car scanner is mandatory when owning one of these complex machine. It helps a lot of unnecessary dealer/shop visits.

Couple time I had misfires was when i forgot to plug in the cam position sensor. The other was when i removing the valve cover and damaged one. Both time Ista picked it up.
I do have a scanner but all it tells me is Misfire cyl 1,3... How is Ista any different and what exactly do i buy 'coz anytime I start googling it, my head starts spinning...

Is Ista more specific to BMW and more precise with the issues?

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2020, 01:08 PM   #7
RichardH
Private First Class
South Africa
Rep
Drives: X5M

Are injectors index 12?
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2020, 01:17 PM   #8
quick
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardH View Post
Are injectors index 12?
I think they are 11 and were changed back in 2006... The dealer doesn't want to address them as they have been changed once and according to them, the diagnostics codes are not injectors related.

I am doing my own work prior taking it back to them or else they would start at the plugs ( $950) > Coils (another $600) etc

I do have a very good extended warranty too but don't want dealer to smell it, at least not yet?

How do I tell what Injectors I have?
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2020, 02:54 PM   #9
TwinSnailz
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
I do have a scanner but all it tells me is Misfire cyl 1,3... How is Ista any different and what exactly do i buy 'coz anytime I start googling it, my head starts spinning...

Is Ista more specific to BMW and more precise with the issues?

Thanks
The software is floating around if you google it. The wire interface is a K+DCan inpa cable amazon, ebay. Get the one with green board. Windows base.
A regular obd scanner, say my iphone app with wifi obd interface will give me one major code , ex. Misfire cyl 3, 6. While Ista will show every major/soft code thats related to it. Option to troubleshoot, reset adapt, much more.
And yes it bmw specific.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2020, 06:53 PM   #10
Sophisticated Redneck
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Sorry for my ignorance, but possible to guide me to couple of pictures of the hold down bolts and the CCV tubes or the rough area where and what to look for?

Thanks
No bolts, just a silly quick-release clip that is a serious pain to get to (Passenger side that you need to replace is much better to get to then the drivers side which will make you discover new levels of profanity)

Here is a pic (Figure 1 in pic). Some really long handle needle nose pliers can help to squeeze the plastic tabs to remove. Be careful not to damage the intake (its pretty tough but it is plastic and requires the engine to be removed to replace if you damage it).

Most of us just cut the tube right above the connection to the intake manifold so we can get our hands/pliers around it better to remove. Installing the new is simple, just push it on until it snaps in place.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-24-2020, 07:28 PM   #11
quick
Captain
Rep

I have a 2 post lift at home, approach it from bottom or from the top?

Thanks for the picture
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2020, 09:50 PM   #12
Sophisticated Redneck
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
I have a 2 post lift at home, approach it from bottom or from the top?

Thanks for the picture
Hitting it from the top will be the easiest. I would cut the tube right above the connection to the intake to make it easier to access with pliers/hands. Squeeze the circular plastic ring on it to make the tabs spread out to release it.

Study the new tube connection when it arrives to get a better picture of how it releases.

I assume you know about the newtis and realoem sites already?
Appreciate 1
Autobacs1351.00
      02-25-2020, 09:04 AM   #13
HtownBlue
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW X5 35i

Are you getting a variable valve code? See my post about the exact same scenario i had recently. Injector, plug, coil, or something preventing enough air flow are usually the most common causes of misfires. Check your live data with it running. Look at the man reading and the O2 pre and post cat numbers. Pre cat should jump a bit, post cat won’t. Look to see if the vehicle is running rich or lean. That will direct you.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2020, 05:18 AM   #14
quick
Captain
Rep

^^^ No just the Misfire info Cyl 1, that's it

Thinking of buying the Ista-D off the ebay but feeling intimidated using the software.

How hard is the install and the learning curve? Any tutorial links on the product?

I have been googling it but haven't found the right link yet?
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2020, 08:10 AM   #15
TwinSnailz
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
I have been googling it but haven't found the right link yet?
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...topics/1023698
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2020, 08:46 PM   #16
clueless69
Rep
Drives: BMW E28 528i BMW X5M

why we just make a lawsuit on BMW its like you have to go with layer/mechanic with knowledge every time you visit stealership LOL! my story with misfire.all summer was okay taking my baby for a ride only on sundays now started daily driving weather get cold in the end of the week(hole week was no problem driving 65+miles everyday)next cold morning was 42f at the second intersection light about a mile get big engine check light and half of the power cut off went back home open the hood and sounds like a snake touched left CVP LINE and here louder suck up tube was like someone cut that tube with a knife.conected that tube with the house and clamps the engine light is gone YEY! went for a ride first stop light engine like clock 1.2.3 half of the engine cut off again back home open a hood guess what other side of PVC broken same shit!call the stealership i TOLDEM ITS A RECALL on PVC they say YE IT IS! and yor vehicle done that recall a say so what thous F%$#$@G tubes crack again so replace them THEY like OK bring the vehicle so.so after check up in the dealership stealership they put me in a room with angel beauty grill with smiling all the time she say sign here please and here pls and i wake up after she gave me reciept for 168.42$ and say nice to see you again!and when i realy wake up it was 7 a.m. when i pick my baby from stealership she explained to me thous F@#$%G houses not covered with waranty!so they charge for check up and i left with my baby broken houses.so we should sue them what you all think!
Appreciate 0