XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum
 
TireRack





Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X6 Forums > General BMW X6 and X6M Forum

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      07-14-2011, 07:20 PM   #1
Doenermann
Emperor
Doenermann's Avatar
United_States
10
Rep
180
Posts

Drives: mostly, but walks occasionally
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: SE Michigan

iTrader: (4)

Garage List
2014 BMW i3 Rex  [4.50]
X6 35i OEM 50i Exhaust Tip FITMENT and sound

Hello everyone,

as previously discussed here: http://www.xbimmers.com/forums/showt...=exhaust+sound

I have taken in my car and asked the service staff to "fix" the exhaust tip fitment. I had mentioned that they were A - not horizontal B - one protruding further from the bumper and C - very low over all.

Here is what my invoice said in response to "customer states" blah blah blah:

Corrected Exhaust tip fitment. No Adjustment available for Exhaust tips.......

It looks like they may have have adjusted something or other, but I'm not sure what and whether or not it lasted. Please see the pics in the thread linked above and the 'real' photo below (before) compared to the cell pic I just took (about one week after the "fix")


On another note, I'm not sure about the sound. Supposedly (according to the BMW materials) it does not mention a change in sound, correct? Obviously it is louder and less responsive without the flap under 2k rpm (noticibly so, compared to before). I like the low rumble at idle, but don't care for the more noticable sound at freeway speeds when cruising at 2.5k rpm or so.

Could I contact BMW NA and complain about the fitment as well as the sound? Whether or not I end up keeping them is another story, but could I argue that the product is not working as specified / designed? End result being either a refund for parts and labor, or a discount (doubtful)?

TIA!
Attached Images
  
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2011, 09:31 AM   #2
zerrantoss
First Lieutenant
Canada
11
Rep
333
Posts

Drives: 2011 X6
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Vancouver

iTrader: (0)

I have heard several clips of the performance exhaust.
IMO, they sound pretty similar to the golf-tee mod (with 2k flap always open).

Does yours sound similar to this?

P.S. I am sorry to hear about the fitment. Your car looks great no matter what!
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2011, 03:50 AM   #3
Mike van D
Major
Mike van D's Avatar
Germany
14
Rep
1,114
Posts

Drives: SG X6 35i; MW e92 M3
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Germany

iTrader: (0)

Sorry to hear. Agree, overall she's a beauty.

Never hurts to re-engage. If NA doesn't give you satisfactory answers...you can always up channel to AG. Best of luck on this. Hope it all works out.
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2011, 05:05 PM   #4
Doenermann
Emperor
Doenermann's Avatar
United_States
10
Rep
180
Posts

Drives: mostly, but walks occasionally
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: SE Michigan

iTrader: (4)

Garage List
2014 BMW i3 Rex  [4.50]
Thanks for the compliments and replies.

I had never tried the golf tee mod but I'm sure its sounds very similar, if not identical to it. I have not yet gone on a high way trip over 15 minutes, so I haven't made up my mind whether or not it's something that I can / want to live with. I'm sure I can learn to live with the lack of responsiveness at low rpms, but I believe it's amplified by the Dinan Stage 1 tune which already has much higher peak torque (around 4300 rpm or so). The extra highway noise at "cruising speed" and the "crookedness" is much more of a concern. I will contact BMW as soon as i've decided wether my goal is to get them fixed or to return them for a full refund.

It also should be physically possible to cut that valve from my original tip and attach it to the new one via an additional clamp, no? And remove a section (same width) from the new passenger side tip. I highly doubt BMW will do this and I don't want to do it myself either and lose the 2 year warranty on parts.

@Zerrantos: Did you end up getting your tips? If so, please post a pic.

@NeedMoreToyz: Nice collection of cars there! You're in / from Germany? It's rare to see a 35"i" there, most are 30/35/40"d". And I don't even wanna know what they cost over there.... I've certainly enjoyed paying less USD's for German cars since I moved here from Germany 11 years ago.

And since my car was liked, here's one more pic.
Attached Images
 
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2011, 11:02 AM   #5
zerrantoss
First Lieutenant
Canada
11
Rep
333
Posts

Drives: 2011 X6
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Vancouver

iTrader: (0)

No I have not gotten the tips yet.
The highway "cruising speed" noise (A.K.A. Droning noise) is kind of holding it back for me. Personally, I tried the golf-tee mod, and the drone is killing me

My last Japanese car had a modified cat-back system. So I am kind of preferring a quiet ride for now.

I am thinking about getting Hamann or OEM Performance kits. If I do, the exhaust change will become inevitable
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2011, 03:24 PM   #6
Mike van D
Major
Mike van D's Avatar
Germany
14
Rep
1,114
Posts

Drives: SG X6 35i; MW e92 M3
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Germany

iTrader: (0)

Thanks! They are both US spec and bought through the military sales here in Germany since I'm retired Mil...so actually got them cheaper than US retail. Yes the comparison to German retail is crazy, even before you convert the euro over to USD.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2011, 03:47 PM   #7
Barbja
Lieutenant
United_States
100
Rep
576
Posts

Drives: 2015 X6 35i
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Austin, TX

iTrader: (0)

Mine are definitely noticeably louder from outside the car, especially at idle. More than one person has asked me if that was right. When I first got it back, the exhaust sound in motion was noticeable, but it isn't anymore. I guess I've had it a little over a month.

My son thinks that the new exhaust sound is cool, not that anyone should base anything on the opinion of a 10 year old.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2011, 11:55 PM   #8
DevilAngel
New Member
0
Rep
15
Posts

Drives: X6 35i
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Singapore

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by zerrantoss View Post
No I have not gotten the tips yet.
The highway "cruising speed" noise (A.K.A. Droning noise) is kind of holding it back for me. Personally, I tried the golf-tee mod, and the drone is killing me

My last Japanese car had a modified cat-back system. So I am kind of preferring a quiet ride for now.

I am thinking about getting Hamann or OEM Performance kits. If I do, the exhaust change will become inevitable

Did you notice there's a drop in low end torque? I tried this too, noticed there's a significant lack of power at lower rpm, and higher fuel consumption.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2011, 02:30 AM   #9
Doenermann
Emperor
Doenermann's Avatar
United_States
10
Rep
180
Posts

Drives: mostly, but walks occasionally
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: SE Michigan

iTrader: (4)

Garage List
2014 BMW i3 Rex  [4.50]
Hamann or OEM Performance kits... intersting! You guys all have the N55 so Dinan is not an option then? I don't recommend it anyway, a few issues with it. What does Hamann have to offer?

I have definitely noticed the the lack of torque, but I just don't think I can go back to the round tips! (although mine are crooked...) Any aftermarket exhaust is likely "open" too and will result in less low end torque but maybe some extra high end ponies.

highway drone aside, I agree with the 10 year old that is does sound cool, especially in a parking garage!
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2011, 10:48 AM   #10
zerrantoss
First Lieutenant
Canada
11
Rep
333
Posts

Drives: 2011 X6
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Vancouver

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevilAngel View Post
Did you notice there's a drop in low end torque? I tried this too, noticed there's a significant lack of power at lower rpm, and higher fuel consumption.
Many people indicated that they did feel a loss in torque at lower RPM. Many others who loved the mod argued otherwise.

I thought maybe it was one of those psychological thing. You know, when the noise is louder, you tend to step on the gas pedal a bit less (to sync your old driving habit). But yes, personally, I did feel a bit of drop in torque.
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2011, 12:30 PM   #11
Henry1515
Private
Henry1515's Avatar
Singapore
2
Rep
81
Posts

Drives: X6 35i
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Singapore

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by zerrantoss View Post
Many people indicated that they did feel a loss in torque at lower RPM. Many others who loved the mod argued otherwise.

I thought maybe it was one of those psychological thing. You know, when the noise is louder, you tend to step on the gas pedal a bit less (to sync your old driving habit). But yes, personally, I did feel a bit of drop in torque.
No, it is not those psychological thing. I did the same and now I had switched back to the stock 35i exhaust tip. The flip valve is removed in order to accommodate the 50i exhaust tip therefore the low end torque is affected. You will feel it when you do a lot of start/stop driving.
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2011, 10:53 PM   #12
Doenermann
Emperor
Doenermann's Avatar
United_States
10
Rep
180
Posts

Drives: mostly, but walks occasionally
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: SE Michigan

iTrader: (4)

Garage List
2014 BMW i3 Rex  [4.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry1515 View Post
No, it is not those psychological thing. I did the same and now I had switched back to the stock 35i exhaust tip. The flip valve is removed in order to accommodate the 50i exhaust tip therefore the low end torque is affected. You will feel it when you do a lot of start/stop driving.
Well, given the location of the valve on the round tips, there is no reason why they could not have included it on the 50i tips. After all, they did design them specifically for our cars. The drone is more annoying than the low end torque problem, noticed it also with cruise control at 60 mph around 1800 rpm.... but they do look quite nice! ...if you tilt your head slightly to right to make up for the slant
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2011, 09:24 AM   #13
Barbja
Lieutenant
United_States
100
Rep
576
Posts

Drives: 2015 X6 35i
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Austin, TX

iTrader: (0)

I think that my low-end torque may be lowered too. I accommodate for it by putting it in sport mode when I want more oomph.

Is the flip valve what makes the exhaust come out of only one pipe? I know that when I start my car, the exhaust and sound come out of only the left pipe. Later on its both. Does that mean that I still have my flip valve, or is that something else?
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2011, 10:17 AM   #14
zerrantoss
First Lieutenant
Canada
11
Rep
333
Posts

Drives: 2011 X6
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Vancouver

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbja View Post
I think that my low-end torque may be lowered too. I accommodate for it by putting it in sport mode when I want more oomph.

Is the flip valve what makes the exhaust come out of only one pipe? I know that when I start my car, the exhaust and sound come out of only the left pipe. Later on its both. Does that mean that I still have my flip valve, or is that something else?
I think your flip valve has been removed.
If it is there, the right side will never become active unless you go over a certain RPM.
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2011, 12:17 PM   #15
Samurai of 2day
Captain
Samurai of 2day's Avatar
678
Rep
982
Posts

Drives: '16 X6 50i/'15 Duc 1299s
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Everywhere and Nowhere

iTrader: (0)

I tried the golf tee method for about 3 months, and though I did like the low "growl" when in idle, I ultimately decided to undo the mod about 3 weeks ago. I enjoy the quieter ride and I too have a tuner chip installed (JB-4) so my car is running with a noticeable amount of added power compared to the ride without it. I guess it boils down to preferance. What you like your car to sound like. I got guys pulling up to me with loud Chargers and Camaros, but even though my car may not sound as intimidating at light as those guys, I still beat them off the line every time... enjoy the ride my friend.
__________________
Too smart for my own good...
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2011, 08:19 PM   #16
Doenermann
Emperor
Doenermann's Avatar
United_States
10
Rep
180
Posts

Drives: mostly, but walks occasionally
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: SE Michigan

iTrader: (4)

Garage List
2014 BMW i3 Rex  [4.50]
I wish I still had a mod to undo as well, but I haven't decided whether I want to get rid of the tips yet (not taken any trips longer than 45 minutes and barely any freeway driving). My passenger seat if unoccupied currently rattles louder than the exhaust drones, so we're good for now.

I wonder what kind of power the JB 4 is adding on, probably quite a bit more than my 360 hp / 374 tq. Are you experiencing any hiccupping or jerky acceleration at higher rpms like I am with Dinan? Still need to try to "blow out" the carbon as suggested in a thread on e90post, but I doubt that is my problem.

Would sure like to meet the engineer(s) who are responsible for that retrofit tip design....
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2011, 07:39 AM   #17
Samurai of 2day
Captain
Samurai of 2day's Avatar
678
Rep
982
Posts

Drives: '16 X6 50i/'15 Duc 1299s
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Everywhere and Nowhere

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doenermann View Post
I wish I still had a mod to undo as well, but I haven't decided whether I want to get rid of the tips yet (not taken any trips longer than 45 minutes and barely any freeway driving). My passenger seat if unoccupied currently rattles louder than the exhaust drones, so we're good for now.

I wonder what kind of power the JB 4 is adding on, probably quite a bit more than my 360 hp / 374 tq. Are you experiencing any hiccupping or jerky acceleration at higher rpms like I am with Dinan? Still need to try to "blow out" the carbon as suggested in a thread on e90post, but I doubt that is my problem.

Would sure like to meet the engineer(s) who are responsible for that retrofit tip design....


The JB 4 suggests that it adds 80 whp / 50 tq. Although I have never had my car dynoed, I definetly noticed a difference after the installation. I didd't have a problem with jerky acceleration so maybe i just got lucky...? My commute is very similar to yours. i rarely get the chance to drive her the way she wants to be driven. I am usually stuck on the freeway for about a half hour to 45 mins moving at 10-15 mph... (NYC) so i feel your pain. I do like the 50i exaust tips. From what i have heard through research, those who have upgraded to the rectangular tips from the circular ones on the 35i, the valve is removed. If your are interested, there are some aftermarket carbon fiber tips that look pretty cool made by akropovich if you wanna check those out as well... drive safe!!
__________________
Too smart for my own good...
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2011, 02:05 PM   #18
Doenermann
Emperor
Doenermann's Avatar
United_States
10
Rep
180
Posts

Drives: mostly, but walks occasionally
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: SE Michigan

iTrader: (4)

Garage List
2014 BMW i3 Rex  [4.50]
Glad to hear JB4 works well, you should have a few different maps to play around with but I'm not sure if the others are more likely to damage the engine or throw error codes. I likely have a problem with the Dinan software which could only be related to the X6 (not the n54 335i) as they're not aware of any such issues...supposedly. I've seen the akropovich tips online, they do look very nice. But if I went that route, I'd have to get BMW to refund about $800 in parts, labor and paint. Haven't tried but given that they're doing a lot more than changing the look (not as advertised), I may have a chance... And regarding the fitment issue, I have concluded that while they do not fit like the 50i OEM ones do (completely horizontal, not slanted), they still look nice so I can probably live with the fitment. Will still inquire about it at my next service appointment.

I just don't understand who decided to remove that valve. The square tips are only welded on at the end and do not require any of the piping leading up to the tips to be different. and they were specifically designed for the 35i and d, maybe there is no drone on the diesel or the muffler is producing a different sound on the n55s.

Also, I completed 25 minutes at 4-4300rpm late last night on the freeway, doesn't appear to have cured anything but seemed to have some improvement. More on that as I drive more this coming week.
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2011, 06:19 PM   #19
Samurai of 2day
Captain
Samurai of 2day's Avatar
678
Rep
982
Posts

Drives: '16 X6 50i/'15 Duc 1299s
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Everywhere and Nowhere

iTrader: (0)

Sounds good to me! let me know how it goes. I reall do like the rectangular tip as well and have considered going that route a few times. Still undecided between those and the carbon fiber ones, lol. I did read somewhere on this forum a while ago who did the thing you did, and they mentioned that when the dealer retro fits the 50i exhaust tips to the 35i, the valve is removed. Not sure exactly why. if you look for the guy who posted that comment, you will know you found him if you come across a pic of a Monaco Blue X6 35i with the 50i exhaust tips! great looking car... yours too!
__________________
Too smart for my own good...
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2011, 08:22 PM   #20
Doenermann
Emperor
Doenermann's Avatar
United_States
10
Rep
180
Posts

Drives: mostly, but walks occasionally
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: SE Michigan

iTrader: (4)

Garage List
2014 BMW i3 Rex  [4.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai of 2day View Post
Sounds good to me! let me know how it goes. I reall do like the rectangular tip as well and have considered going that route a few times. Still undecided between those and the carbon fiber ones, lol. I did read somewhere on this forum a while ago who did the thing you did, and they mentioned that when the dealer retro fits the 50i exhaust tips to the 35i, the valve is removed. Not sure exactly why. if you look for the guy who posted that comment, you will know you found him if you come across a pic of a Monaco Blue X6 35i with the 50i exhaust tips! great looking car... yours too!
Thanks! Hard to see your car from the avatar, but you appear to have a "Darth Vader" (as I've heard my black x6 called before) as well. Add it to "BMW Garage" with some nice pictures! Just did this recently myself, need to make sure they fall within the size spec or they will not upload.

The square tips probably fill that space a little nicer than the upgraded round tips, but that valve is definitely removed. So if you did not care for the golf tee mod, don't get them. There thread I linked in my first post here might be the one you're looking for, It had pics of the Exhaust tips only, not the whole car unfortunately.

Oh and the 4000 rpm run helped more than I initially thought. At almost 27k miles that is... probably no point in trying it until you experience any issues where the acceleration no longer feels "smooth".
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2011, 11:02 AM   #21
Samurai of 2day
Captain
Samurai of 2day's Avatar
678
Rep
982
Posts

Drives: '16 X6 50i/'15 Duc 1299s
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Everywhere and Nowhere

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doenermann View Post
Thanks! Hard to see your car from the avatar, but you appear to have a "Darth Vader" (as I've heard my black x6 called before) as well. Add it to "BMW Garage" with some nice pictures! Just did this recently myself, need to make sure they fall within the size spec or they will not upload.

The square tips probably fill that space a little nicer than the upgraded round tips, but that valve is definitely removed. So if you did not care for the golf tee mod, don't get them. There thread I linked in my first post here might be the one you're looking for, It had pics of the Exhaust tips only, not the whole car unfortunately.

Oh and the 4000 rpm run helped more than I initially thought. At almost 27k miles that is... probably no point in trying it until you experience any issues where the acceleration no longer feels "smooth".
LOL Sorry about the avatar pic... cell phone camera. Yes I will post more pics in the garage but I think I put up more pics before... maybe under my profile...? Not sure where they are now but i remember posting a few a couple months back. I agree with you though, I like the square tips for the exhaust. I will check out the link you mentioned and then wheigh the options. Drive safe my friend and enjoy the Darth Vader!! My friends call mine the demon.... lol
__________________
Too smart for my own good...
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2011, 11:03 AM   #22
Samurai of 2day
Captain
Samurai of 2day's Avatar
678
Rep
982
Posts

Drives: '16 X6 50i/'15 Duc 1299s
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Everywhere and Nowhere

iTrader: (0)

I see where my pics are now. If you click on my avatar, then look under albums, there are more pics of my toys. I'm gonna check yours out to see the same.
__________________
Too smart for my own good...
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:55 AM.




xbimmers
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST