XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

06-19-2021, 01:46 PM   #1
theDogger
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 E70

Question Need advise breaking e10 torx free on oil filter housing

Need to replace the 2 oil cooler/housing gaskets, all was going well until having to remove the e10 under the intake and the front left lower e10 next to the coolant micky mouse fitting.

Was able to get the e10 under the intake loose but damn who ever torqued these...

I am not having such luck with the other lower left e10 torx. The bolt edges were already some what rounded and I cant get it to break loose. Hit it with ample liquid wrench

Worried about stripping or breaking the bolt.

Any suggestions on getting this to break free? Are these bolts aluminum to aluminum?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-20-2021, 09:34 PM   #2
zoom750
Private
Rep
Drives: 2013 X5M

If you can, try applying some heat to the housing. I would clean up the oil first, though.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2021, 11:18 AM   #3
theDogger
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 E70

Well was unable to get the bolt to break free and due to time limitation just replaced the Oil Cooler gasket. The Oil Housing gasket was not leaking yet but I am sure it will start.

I tried a heat gun and no change, did not want to break the head off and then have to extract and hope it does not rip the thread out with it. Not a big deal but them would need to order a new Oil Housing and due to the time limitation just could not do that. The is my daughter's X5 and it is getting picked up to ship to School for here on the 22nd

Another issue that the day before doing the work her damn A/C Clutch went out also and did not have time to replace it. The A/C clutch plated was loose and had play in it and not engaging . Was not causing an issue but decided not to put a new Stretch belt on. Dont want to but more than likely going to have to bit the bullet and have her take it to a local BMW repair shop in East Lansing and have the A/C Compressor replaced

Anyone know a good BMW Shop In the East Lansing Area?

So the whole point of the work was some basic maintenance

2007 e70 3.0si

Replaced:
- Accessory Belt
- Idler Pulley
- Belt Tensioner
- Stretch Belt
- Oil Housing Gaskets - (Only Oil Cooler gasket)
- AUC Sensor
- Cabin Filters
- Valve Head Cover
- Coils & Plugs
- Vanos Solenoids
- Clean Re-turn valves
- Oil Change
- Air Filter
- Coolant Flush
- Wiper Blades
Appreciate 0