XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

08-04-2020, 11:43 PM   #1
koolavz
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW X5M

Garage List
2010 BMW X5M  [0.00]
2010 X5M issues

Hello everyone,

I am coming to you tonight seeking some guidance. My wife’s X5M (2010) came home today with a big CEL and reduced power mode in all its glory. I have done some research on the symptoms I am encountering and it seems to be one of three things; injectors, coils n plugs or map sensor. The care barely idles and struggles to breath, it constantly dips below 500rpm and gives what I believe a clear sign the map sensor/s has failed. I will try to attach a video I recorded earlier for you to view and give your thoughts. I am currently half way done tearing the motor apart to address these issues and upgrade some parts while I have it all apart. Let me know what you think. Thanks!

EDIT: I forgot to include that I did run the codes and it was a p2200 code. Which leads me to believe it is a MAP related issue.
Here is the video: https://streamable.com/mzxj88

Last edited by koolavz; 08-04-2020 at 11:50 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2020, 07:53 AM   #2
Thecastle
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F10 550i

Garage List
2020 BMW M340i  [0.00]
2019 RAM 3500  [0.00]
2020 BMW X3  [0.00]
2016 BMW 550i  [0.00]
2000 Ford F450 7.3l ...  [0.00]
Reduced power and hard running can be for a lot more reasons than mentioned.

Start with getting the BMW specific codes, without that you'll just be guessing. This error only indicates an abnormal NOx sensor reading. Which to my knowledge the car dosen't have a NOx sensor.

Rough running poor idle can be for a lot of reasons.

Personally from the description its most likely, bad coil, bad spark plugs, vacuum leak and or boost leak, bad injector. The filtered air ducts crack and can cause this problem. They are about $900 to replace. This is why you need the BMW specific codes to not guess and throw parts at it until it works.

I've had the MAP sensors fail and it does not run/idle badly, it just goes into fail safe mode (closed loop) and runs fine, but has no power as it runs without boost. So it's probably not that.
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2020, 09:30 AM   #3
Dawgz
2022 M4 Comp Xdrive
Rep
Drives: 2022 M4 Comp Xdrive

You can count the MAF out the question as the e70 X5M doesn't have them.
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2020, 10:26 AM   #4
koolavz
Registered
Rep

Garage List
2010 BMW X5M  [0.00]
I did not receive any BMW specific codes when I used my scan tool yesterday, which is what led to me believing it was one of those; injectors/coils/plugs. I also have read that the ccv system is prone to cracking and causing vacuum leaks. I am planning to re-fit the vacuum line with some new hi-temp hosing and ccv system as well, I will look into the filtered air ducts as well. I was surprised when I ran the vehicle and it shook so violently, that was what led me to believe that it was a misfire. I did plug my scanner in this morning, keep in mind half the engine is apart so some of the codes are present because wiring is unplugged. I received a mile long list, here goes:
P112F - MAP sensor is unplugged causing this code
P0301 - Misfire cylinder 1 - Did not get this code yesterday when the engine was together, could be this is the culprit? Will try swapping coil/plug to see.
C0300 - ECM, again wiring unplugged, more than likely the reason why this came up
P0411 - Air flow issue, maps unplugged, wiring more than likely cause

This followed by some stored codes:
P0306 - Misfire cylinder 6, could be another coil/plug? Will test with cylinder 1.
P0301 - Same as above Cyl 1 misfire
C0700 - Oxygen sensor. Wiring related, possibly.
P0503 - Vehicle speed sensor. Wiring possibly.
P0603 - KAM issue. Wiring/sensors?
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2020, 01:54 PM   #5
koolavz
Registered
Rep

Garage List
2010 BMW X5M  [0.00]
UPDATE........

After a careful reassembly for testing, I discovered that the CCV plastic tube that runs above the engine was cracked in 4 different places that I could not see yesterday due to light restrictions. In order to test it I wrapped the CCV tube in a liberal coat of duct tape. Sure enough, reassembled the car started and idled/drove no issues. All CEL codes now gone. Seems I will be needing to replace that tube. Not a big deal since I was planning on doing a custom catch can set up with the CCV system. Sometimes its the little things we can't see that are the biggest pains in the ***.
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2020, 02:21 PM   #6
Sophisticated Redneck
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW X5 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by koolavz View Post
UPDATE........

After a careful reassembly for testing, I discovered that the CCV plastic tube that runs above the engine was cracked in 4 different places that I could not see yesterday due to light restrictions. In order to test it I wrapped the CCV tube in a liberal coat of duct tape. Sure enough, reassembled the car started and idled/drove no issues. All CEL codes now gone. Seems I will be needing to replace that tube. Not a big deal since I was planning on doing a custom catch can set up with the CCV system. Sometimes its the little things we can't see that are the biggest pains in the ***.
Sounds about right, the CCV tubes are the number one thing to fail in the N63/S63. If you can't get a replacement right away then I would wrap it instead with silicon self-adhesive tape instead as duct tape won't last long with the temps it's about to see. You can get the tape at any hardware or auto parts store. Pick up an extra role and keep in all yours cars, the stuff is amazing and can save your neck if a coolant or intake/CCV hose breaks on th road. It will do a better job of sealing too.
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2020, 02:22 PM   #7
Dawgz
2022 M4 Comp Xdrive
Rep
Drives: 2022 M4 Comp Xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by koolavz View Post
UPDATE........

Very nice
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2020, 10:26 AM   #8
Colodano
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2010 X5M

Sounds like the one that's a recall issue, see if the dealer will replace it for you, they should have them in stock.
Appreciate 0