XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

08-03-2020, 05:03 PM   #23
mr____p
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW x5m | 2001 BMW 540i m

EDIT: No more CEL, plugged vaccum
Lines WITH a screw - and power is back and no more CEL

Okay so got the car back and I want to say first,

This car sound absolutely amazing. The x pipe and race resonators have def made this car sounds way more deeper and fine tuned in the exhaust.

Power - idk if it's just me or it feels like I lost a few horse power ?!! The SAV does NOT clearly feel as fast, but it's still up there. Weird ?
With the stock setup and down pipes the car was flying though gears, now seems a bit of a small tiny lag that most people wouldn't notice, but I can kinda sorta feel it.

EDIT : THIS WAS LATER FIXED IN VACCUM LEAK

Here's the big issue:

After some pulls we got a Engine Malfunction light on iDrive. This is not good haha. Happens in 2nd/3rd/ or 4Th under WOT.

I haven't saw this engine malfunction light since I got the rebuild done and the Active Autowerke Stage 2 Tune, and it went away after about 50 miles.

Since then I have taken it up and down California and Nevada - Over 1500 likes with no issues.

I'm 99% sure it has to do with the new x pipe and resonators. I drive this car so hard everyday, it can't be a coincidence that just after I installed these, there is magically an issue randomly.

I'm sitting in the BMW shop parking lot now to get it scanned.

Fingers crossed this something super simple...
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2020, 05:34 PM   #24
mr____p
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Update.

Found 2 hoses from muffler tips unplugged

All is good. Worth it !
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-03-2020, 06:04 PM   #25
Sophisticated Redneck
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW X5 50i

Glad you found the problem, with those unplugged it would have caused a massive vacuum leak and the turbos would not be able to engage as the wastegates would not be able to function.

How does the power seem now? To me it felt a bit faster
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2020, 06:35 PM   #26
mr____p
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophisticated Redneck View Post
Glad you found the problem, with those unplugged it would have caused a massive vacuum leak and the turbos would not be able to engage as the wastegates would not be able to function.

How does the power seem now? To me it felt a bit faster
There is def a slight power increase. Much more smoother power pan though RPM

I was shitting bricks, can't lie. I was saying to myself omg I did not just pay $500 for the resonators, x pipe, and carbon fiber tips to be installed and have more issues 😞😞

BUT- ALL IS WELL.

THE POWER IS ALL THERE. I'd say if anything just a tad bit more explosive through the gears.

Before the x pipe, sometimes I would have not the smoothest power ban through Rpms

Almost if the turbos were struggling to push the exhaust out the car effectively and efficiently.

As I drove off from exhaust shop I knew something wasn't right. Crazy how in tune we can be with our cars.

After getting gas that's when the engine malfunction light popped.

As I was sitting at the shop I was reading through the forums and saw this happened to someone else leaving an exhaust shop.

Decided to check and boom the lines were just hanging. I even told the exhaust tech to make sure to plug those but 🤷🏻*♂️🤷🏻*♂️🤷🏻*♂️... I can't blame him because he was playing service advisor and technician and this place was swamped with people and cars. Overall they did a really good job on the welds and kept price down for me.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2020, 06:46 PM   #27
mr____p
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Sound clip

Here is a video of some revs at idle.

I will use my iPhone voice memo and upload via sound cloud soon with a few more drive by and cold start clips to show you how it came out!

Appreciate 0
      08-03-2020, 06:59 PM   #28
RL18
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d sport

The manifolds are in fact different. Here's a quote from an article that explains it well:

The S63 is based on the N63 but there are some very significant differences between the two motors. The main difference being that the S63 uses a pulse tuned, cross engine exhaust manifold. That sounds cool, but what does it mean? It means that each turbo gets its exhaust flow from 4 exhaust pulses but also from opposite cylinder banks. This exhaust gas is fed into twin-scroll turbos which means there are two passages for the exhaust gases in the turbos. The N63 on the other hand uses single scroll turbos which means one passage for the exhaust gases. It is this pulse tuned exhaust manifold as well as the twin-scroll turbos that is the major difference in the architecture of the S63 vs. the N63.

Edit: website is blocked!
      08-03-2020, 07:03 PM   #29
mr____p
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RL18 View Post
The manifolds are in fact different. Here's a quote from an article that explains it well:

The S63 is based on the N63 but there are some very significant differences between the two motors. The main difference being that the S63 uses a pulse tuned, cross engine exhaust manifold. That sounds cool, but what does it mean? It means that each turbo gets its exhaust flow from 4 exhaust pulses but also from opposite cylinder banks. This exhaust gas is fed into twin-scroll turbos which means there are two passages for the exhaust gases in the turbos. The N63 on the other hand uses single scroll turbos which means one passage for the exhaust gases. It is this pulse tuned exhaust manifold as well as the twin-scroll turbos that is the major difference in the architecture of the S63 vs. the N63.

This is the website I got the info from: https://www.***********.com/content.php?1157-BMW-twin-turbo-V8-analysis-Power-potential-tuning-performance-and-architecture-of-the-N63-and-S63-motors
Absolutely that is correct.

This is about as close you can get to a true v8 sound with this setup.

One thing I love is that inside the car it actually sounds like a boosted v8 and NOT Q baby turbo Honda - the inside cabin with catless downpipes without exhaust and stock resonators were a pain to listen to AFTER A few weeks. The droning was unbearable.

Now under load it sounds crip and deep.

I'm so curious to see how cold start is

With the x pipe and race resonators it has definitely fine tuned the sound, making it sound of high import induction on the revs. It's worth it 10 fold and have no regrets.

Now if I can get a Ferrari to race me >
I do know that the exhaust manifolds are different. That's why I asked if anyone has done it keeping stock turbos because I know the turbos on the s63TU (m5 m6 ) are using bigger inlets
Appreciate 1
RL18273.50
      08-03-2020, 08:10 PM   #30
RL18
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by pipsniperr View Post

Absolutely that is correct.

This is about as close you can get to a true v8 sound with this setup.

One thing I love is that inside the car it actually sounds like a boosted v8 and NOT Q baby turbo Honda - the inside cabin with catless downpipes without exhaust and stock resonators were a pain to listen to AFTER A few weeks. The droning was unbearable.

Now under load it sounds crip and deep.

I'm so curious to see how cold start is

With the x pipe and race resonators it has definitely fine tuned the sound, making it sound of high import induction on the revs. It's worth it 10 fold and have no regrets.

Now if I can get a Ferrari to race me >
I do know that the exhaust manifolds are different. That's why I asked if anyone has done it keeping stock turbos because I know the turbos on the s63TU (m5 m6 ) are using bigger inlets
It does sound great! congrats on the new exhaust note

I still have soft spot for both the n63 and s63, more the n63 because of the true v8 sound, but I fear I wouldn't have the time or money to keep up with repairs. I love my diesels turbo noises but those turbo v8s just sound so amazing!
      08-04-2020, 08:52 AM   #31
Sophisticated Redneck
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW X5 50i

Quote:

I will use my iPhone voice memo and upload via sound cloud soon with a few more drive by and cold start clips to show you how it came out!

Sounds freaking awesome with the flaps open on the M! (love your exhaust tips, installing similar in mine) and happy you like the setup, for around 100 dollars in parts plus install, it's amazing bang for your buck. I'm working on the cut-outs now on mine as the 50i's muffler suuuuuuuuuucks.
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2020, 02:31 PM   #32
0-60Motorsports
Brigadier General
Bahrain
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 JB 04 Coupe

Quote:

Wow that sounds amazing. I will have to order the parts and get them done as soon as the weather becomes a bit cooler. Thanks for all the info guys.
2011 VW Golf R DSG White/Black
IG: @060Motorsports
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2020, 09:43 PM   #33
eDubz
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2012 X5M

I can't do downpipes because of emissions, so I'm thinking of doing the resonators, xpipe, and Megan exhaust.

Has anyone done this setup? Think it will sound OK?

2013 X3 35i M-Sport
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2020, 01:20 PM   #34
ncmoore12
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW X5 M

Garage List
2013 BMW X5 M  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by eDubz View Post
I can't do downpipes because of emissions, so I'm thinking of doing the resonators, xpipe, and Megan exhaust.

Yea I'm thinking of doing the same, but no megan exhaust because i want the valved exhaust still. I'm sure it would sound good either way!
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2020, 03:52 PM   #35
argento
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2013 X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncmoore12 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by eDubz View Post

Yea I'm thinking of doing the same, but no megan exhaust because i want the valved exhaust still. I'm sure it would sound good either way!
Amazing sound in the above posts.

Report back on xpipe and Resonators w oem exhaust.

Would aftermarket cat'd downpipes w the xpipe and res bear any sound improvement? Or worthless? Thanks.
      10-05-2020, 10:12 PM   #36
m5james
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '10 X5M Alpine White on Sakhir

Quote:
The X5m s63 just has a different exhaust manifold and turbo then the s63tu. I want to know if anyone has found a way to keep stock turbos of s63 and use the s63tu manifold with some type of adapter or clamp. I know the turbo housings are slightly different
The turbo to manifold flanges are different, which can be machined to fit, but at that point you might as well upgrade to S63TU turbos as well for a complete bolt-in installation. If not, there are pics floating around here showing before and after machining.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2021, 11:58 AM   #37
x5m Fritz
Rep
Drives: X5M e70 BY 2011

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by RL18 View Post

Edit: website is blocked!

Hello @ all,

a very interesting discussion about optimizing the V8 sound of the S63 engine.
The quote above explains very good the concept of the engine/exhaust tequniqe, but:

Please can explain me anyone, why or how the X-Pipe exactly is optimizing the flow and the sound?
Maybe exists a little sketch for?

Greetz from Italy
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2021, 09:43 PM   #38
813X5M
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW X5 M

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncmoore12 View Post
Did you follow through with the no Megan setup but resonators and x Pipe ? Would love to hear it if you have an IG or anything!
Appreciate 0