XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

08-06-2020, 03:22 PM   #1
CarHopper
Rep
Drives: E70 X5

Coolant leak

Hey everyone,

2008 x5 3.0si w/ 127k miles.

I have a coolant leak and am just looking for advice on things to look for next. I did search this and saw that the expansion tank is usually the culprit so I lazily just went ahead and did that... The leak is on the drivers side so I put 2 and 2 together here.

Easy job, ordered parts off amazon, topped off the new tank etc. But, a fair amount of coolant came out of it when I removed the bottom hose. I know, I could've probably just checked that before but when I looked in the top of the tank I didn't see any coolant at first so it was easy to make this assumption. Probably just because it had been leaking though so coolant in general was low.

From here I'm just waiting for things to dry up inside the engine bay and then go from there. That said, any other common things on the drivers side to check?

No CELs or indicators on. I'm not sure if there are ways to look into it through the iDrive menus but my iDrive is broken so I can't press it down to select items. Car runs fine, everything is smooth, and it was actually my dog that brought my attention to the leak because she hopped out and was smelling around the passenger side wheel. Didn't think much of it but then in a drive thru my radiator fan started really getting after it. It seems that the leak was coming from the drivers side because that is where its dipping pretty heavily from.

Any chance the leak is on the passenger side and traveling across the underbody tray?

Cut my losses, an 08 x5 w/ 130k miles is worth what, $5k? Just wrap it around a telephone pole? Haha

Overall I think the truck is in pretty good shape. 2 years ago a solenoid or something failed on the top end causing oil to leak into the plugs and caused a bit of an issue but cleaned it all up, packs, plugs, the works which wasn't cheap. Year later oil pan gasket had a good leak so did that $50 gasket and $1000 labor. Those two reasons alone are why I've hung onto this thing because I kept telling myself I'll fix the problem then get rid of it at the next... fixed problem, get rid of it at next... repeat repeat repeat.

Cheers everyone
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2020, 04:23 PM   #2
X5 MAN
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011X5 50iM-Sport;2016X3 35i M

Engine contains most of the coolant while running. So run the engine and fill .
Appreciate 1