XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

06-30-2018, 07:26 AM   #1
AnotherArchitect
Private
Saudi Arabia
Rep
Drives: X5m E70|PP Performance Tune|DP

Question Aftermarket Headlights

Anyone here purchased these headlights or have any idea about them?

They look amazing!

link:
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Car-...14c23c003mIYAH
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2018, 07:56 AM   #2
-c-
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: bmw

If your in the USA and your e70 is HID equipped they won't work. I think HID was standard here. Not sure.

These work only with standard halogen headlight version of the e70.
Appreciate 1
      06-30-2018, 08:09 AM   #3
AnotherArchitect
Private
Saudi Arabia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by -c- View Post
If your in the USA and your e70 is HID equipped they won't work. I think HID was standard here. Not sure.

These work only with standard halogen headlight version of the e70.
That was one thing I'm trying to figure out, other sellers (australia to be exact) claim they do work with HID equipped cars.

Not sure if I should go with it lol...
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2018, 02:18 PM   #4
KuroiSakana
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2008 black E70 X5 4.8i

Garage List
2008 BMW X5  [0.00]
What is it that they don't work? Is it because it's not plug and play? I'm looking right now either purchase a set OEM headlight assembly or aftermarkets like the ones in the picture above.
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2018, 04:24 AM   #5
AnotherArchitect
Private
Saudi Arabia
Rep

Check these out

Quote:
Originally Posted by KuroiSakana View Post
What is it that they don't work? Is it because it's not plug and play? I'm looking right now either purchase a set OEM headlight assembly or aftermarkets like the ones in the picture above.
This dude is selling an awesome pair from china - a little too pricey if you ask me (3300$)

This other dude is making custom headlights, looks even more amazing if you ask me.

I tried getting in contact with the chinese manufacturer (who btw is legit.. no BS) - it's just a hassle to be honest.

Russian dude didn't reply yet...

If you're living anywhere near NY or Portland, there's Oneighty and Headlights NW (accordingly) who can do custom work for your headlights... very professional stuff.

Cheers
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2018, 01:50 PM   #6
phinally
Private
Rep
Drives: 2010 X5 3.0i

Those look great! Really don’t understand why there aren’t better options. An updated set of headlights makes such a difference. I want to order thoughts, did you go with them?
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2018, 08:30 PM   #7
GoHokiesGo
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherArchitect View Post
This dude is selling an awesome pair from china - a little too pricey if you ask me (3300$)

This other dude is making custom headlights, looks even more amazing if you ask me.

I tried getting in contact with the chinese manufacturer (who btw is legit.. no BS) - it's just a hassle to be honest.

Russian dude didn't reply yet...

If you're living anywhere near NY or Portland, there's Oneighty and Headlights NW (accordingly) who can do custom work for your headlights... very professional stuff.

Cheers
Those custom lights look really awesome - the fade when turning off is pretty slick.

I had emailed OneEighty a year or so ago to see if they had anything similar to the 2013 LED's, and they informed me that they werent making anything for the E70 at that time.

JP Photography - Travel/Landscape/Automotive Photography
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2018, 11:45 PM   #8
AnotherArchitect
Private
Saudi Arabia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by phinally View Post
Those look great! Really don’t understand why there aren’t better options. An updated set of headlights makes such a difference. I want to order thoughts, did you go with them?
I emailed the Russian dude and he said he can't make them and ship internationally, but he can send all the required items for a DIY for 500$.

Also, had a great conversation with the people from Headlights NW (based in Portland) about working on some custom headlights (which is why i'm now looking for a pair of cheap used headlights.. ) sent them my "thoughts" and some reference pictures. Hopefully things will get underway soon.

If not, 500$ to the Russians it is!
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2018, 11:52 PM   #9
AnotherArchitect
Private
Saudi Arabia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoHokiesGo View Post
Those custom lights look really awesome - the fade when turning off is pretty slick.

I had emailed OneEighty a year or so ago to see if they had anything similar to the 2013 LED's, and they informed me that they werent making anything for the E70 at that time.
It does look awesome! I bet he could make them "slide" for signals which would be mind blowing

OneEighty has some great designs, but we're not "big time" customers so they wouldn't do us a favor lol.

Check out Headlights NW ... They've worked on the infamous FILTHY NSX (with the LibertyWalk kit) - their customer service/communication is great!
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2018, 03:21 PM   #10
pearlpower
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i

Would love a reasonable option for those of us with adaptive HIDs already. I have the Lux bulbs at $200, but they just look silly IMO, especially compared to my 328i with the 3D LED aftermarket HIDs.
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2018, 01:20 AM   #11
0-60Motorsports
Brigadier General
Bahrain
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 JB 04 Coupe

If anyone has a source for the OE LED Headlights please message me. I only need the headlights as I have everything else and im not willing to pay 4k for a pair of used headlights. Any one has a reasonably priced source.....
2011 VW Golf R DSG White/Black
IG: @060Motorsports
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2018, 01:27 AM   #12
AnotherArchitect
Private
Saudi Arabia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0-60Motorsports View Post
If anyone has a source for the OE LED Headlights please message me. I only need the headlights as I have everything else and im not willing to pay 4k for a pair of used headlights. Any one has a reasonably priced source.....
Sent you a P.M
Appreciate 1
      10-14-2018, 01:31 AM   #13
0-60Motorsports
Brigadier General
Bahrain
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 JB 04 Coupe

Quote:
Sent you a P.M
Thanks bud. Replied.
2011 VW Golf R DSG White/Black
IG: @060Motorsports
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2018, 08:40 AM   #14
5XTHEPROBLEMS
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW X5 3.0

Wouldn't mind a little group buy from the Russian guy. Already did a ring retrofit in my pre-lci, and I like they way they turned out (look almost OEM), but I love the "brow" and new shaped coronas.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2018, 09:54 AM   #15
AnotherArchitect
Private
Saudi Arabia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5XTHEPROBLEMS View Post
Wouldn't mind a little group buy from the Russian guy. Already did a ring retrofit in my pre-lci, and I like they way they turned out (look almost OEM), but I love the "brow" and new shaped coronas.
Sure thing! let's gather up a few people; maybe he'll give us a good discount

Would you mind sharing a few pictures?
Also, if you have links to the "how to guide" for the rings, it would be much appreciated!
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2018, 11:27 AM   #16
pearlpower
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:

Also, if you have links to the "how to guide" for the rings, it would be much appreciated!
Might be interested as well.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2018, 04:37 PM   #17
sunny_j
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2012 X5d

can we get more pics? might be interested

Build Thread
https://www.xbimmers.com/forums/show....php?t=1529213
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2018, 12:16 PM   #18
AnotherArchitect
Private
Saudi Arabia
Rep

He got back to me

So,

I've been bothering the russian dude for few days now with questions and all.

Here's the summary:

1. He's willing to send all the items required for the dynamic iconic lights (iconic lights themselves cost around 100-120$) - the programming to make them "dynamic" is his own thing, which is why he's selling them at 500$
2. the "brow" is not a part of the 500$ package; he will sell them (also dynamic for turn signals) for 280$ - I've double checked this, there are 2 plastic sections that go over and below the shrouds in order to make the brow fit
3. The signal add-on which looks like the newer generation BMW's is not available
4. Payment is through Paypal; I had a few friends in Russia check out this guy's shop (if you'd like to contact him his email is sdidesign@mail.ru)
5. He's willing to give a "group buy" 10% off

Do keep in mind that even if you do buy them, you still need to do the work yourself - unless there's a "professional" living next to you.

If we do the math, this mod will end up costing about a 1000$; which is (almost) what Headlights NW quoted me for doing the same stuff (including painting the headlights housing and shrouds).

The rest is up to you =]

I hope this helps!
Appreciate 1
      11-06-2018, 07:43 AM   #19
5XTHEPROBLEMS
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW X5 3.0

Quote:

Hey! sorry for the delay-- didn't know I had a notification on this. Here's the link to where I posted my DIY headlight retrofit. Bear in mind you can do this all for under $300 and makes a HUGE difference.

https://xoutpost.com/bmw-sav-forums/...-lenses-2.html go to page 2. same username.
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2018, 10:44 PM   #20
pearlpower
First Lieutenant
Rep

Can anyone comment on these? For factory HID with AFS, thinking we lose some functionality

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F382553796468

Last edited by pearlpower; 11-10-2018 at 11:03 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2018, 05:32 AM   #21
AnotherArchitect
Private
Saudi Arabia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pearlpower View Post
Can anyone comment on these? For factory HID with AFS, thinking we lose some functionality

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F382553796468
I wouldn't go for these... the DRL's look "cheap"... after a lot of thought and research, I just got the regular round CCFL's, a new set of headlight lens covers(still processing..) and I'm going to work on them myself.

Here are a few tips based on what I've gathered over the past few months:

1. After waking up to a hit and run on my car (busted headlight and fender, passenger side), I found a replacement headlight - not in the greatest shape- for something around 250$.. the auto adjustment (vertical) isn't working. So, I'm going to "migrate" all the equipment from my old headlight (it only suffered a broken lens, thankfully) to the new one.

2. "Demon Eyes" mod is simply placing a red LED in the projector lens - I've used this while working on my friend's BRZ . You don't need to remove the headlight for this... just FYI

3. Halo rings or Angel Eyes - There are unlimited amount of mods floating around. I recommend these:
a. ICONIC - Umnitza are selling them at Kidney prices no idea why! -
b. Orion - Again, Umnitza overpriced the hell out of these ... so ... try these, i've used them on my buddy's car, looks epic!

4. For Turn Signals, I suggest an easy and surprisingly good looking mod:
Get LED turn signal bulbs (no fade between on and off) get some 3M matte black vinyl and cover the lines of the encasement (it'll look like the one shown in the Russian's video)

5. Still no "viable" solution for the "eye lash" except from the Russian dude, and it's not the best option IMO - I will definitely post updates on that whenever I find anything.

I hope this helps, pardon the long post.... no bmw potato here I suppose?
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2018, 05:33 AM   #22
AnotherArchitect
Private
Saudi Arabia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5XTHEPROBLEMS View Post
Hey! sorry for the delay-- didn't know I had a notification on this. Here's the link to where I posted my DIY headlight retrofit. Bear in mind you can do this all for under $300 and makes a HUGE difference.

https://xoutpost.com/bmw-sav-forums/...-lenses-2.html go to page 2. same username.
Thanks Buddy! appreciate it!
Appreciate 0