XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

06-21-2018, 10:57 PM   #1
Sunnymclus
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW X5 XDrive48i

Unhappy BMW X5 E70 2009 XDrive48i

Hello there people. My name is Sunny and I own a 2009 BMW X5 4.8i. Its a fabulous car to drive but now Im at 96k and the dreaded smoke out of the tailpipes issue just came up when I took the car in for smog inspection and had the smog failed. Its a pretty expensive fix as I just found out and its driving me nuts. Do you guys think its any better to buy an extended warranty on this car? Is it worth it? Do they really fix problems that might occur in the future? Many problems are pretty expensive to fix on this car. Its a wonderful car except for when it just sits in the garage cuz I feel its really expensive to fix it. HELP!!!!
I've already changed water pump, idle bars front and left as they were leaking, gaskets were leaking that was an expensive fix as well. Phew this car is financially starting to take a toll on me and I owe money on it. Im very confused and in a state of dilemma. HELP!!!!
Attached Images

Last edited by Sunnymclus; 06-21-2018 at 11:28 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2018, 07:31 AM   #2
Thecastle
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F10 550i

Garage List
2020 BMW M340i  [0.00]
2019 RAM 3500  [0.00]
2020 BMW X3  [0.00]
2016 BMW 550i  [0.00]
2000 Ford F450 7.3l ...  [0.00]
Sorry to hear all of that. I found that using atp205 stopped my smoking, you can get it on amazon. Lucas oil nearly eliminated it. Sometimes the smoking is caused by bad pcv. Check that it’s cheap. The test for valve stem seals is to warm the engine up fully. Let it idle for about 5 minutes. Then floor it while a buddy watches for smoke. If it smokes when flooring it, you have bad seals. The atp205 will stop the smoke,

I had a 2008 4.8i that in 5 months cost me over 8k in repairs and maintenance which I tracked in a spreadsheet if your interested. Nearly all the work was diy. I had all the typical problems, alternator, heater control valve, parking brake, sun roof, etc. I sold it with 96k miles as even after all those repairs, it had a front diff leak, bad valve stem seals (smoking), leaking adaptive drive, noisy power steering pump. But basically another easy 5k in needed repairs that I knew of.

Never did the water pipe or alternator bracket seals, which also go.

Anyway I dumped it, and purchased a 2011 x5m with an extended warranty which incidentally has needed about 9k in repairs in 1 year of ownership. I have an exclusionary warranty.

No one will sell an extended warranty that covers much on a car as old as yours. The warranty is only worthwhile if you think it will cover more than you’ll pay for it. Of course the warranty company won’t take on a money pit at a price less than the cost of normal future repairs. They will also do an inspection and exclude any existing conditions if they even cover it with existing problems. Dump it and get something newer or more reliable. Or if you just love it then cost shouldn’t be logical.

Last edited by Thecastle; 06-22-2018 at 07:45 AM..
Appreciate 0