XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

04-24-2019, 12:01 PM   #1
Steepcreeker
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW X5 XDrive 50i

New Owner 2011 X5 XDrive - Coolant Leaked on Driveway after idling

Hello members,
I am new BMW X5 forum member and owner of a 2011 X5 with 117,500 miles.

The car was idling in driveway with a baby sleeping in it. Idled for about 20-30 min. before I noticed coolant puddle under vehicle.

Thoughts on where leak is most likely from? No codes or errors, except now, Low Coolant.

Thanks - Philthy
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2019, 12:33 PM   #2
Sophisticated Redneck
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW X5 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steepcreeker View Post
Hello members,
I am new BMW X5 forum member and owner of a 2011 X5 with 117,500 miles.

The car was idling in driveway with a baby sleeping in it. Idled for about 20-30 min. before I noticed coolant puddle under vehicle.

Thoughts on where leak is most likely from? No codes or errors, except now, Low Coolant.

Thanks - Philthy
Depends quite a bit on which engine you have in it. Give us details on that. But probably the most common on alot of engines is the coolant sensor located on the passenger side of the Radiator down low next to the lower Radiator inlet hose, it has a o-ring that goes all the time and is known to leak. Very easy to replace if that is it
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2019, 12:45 PM   #3
skvitt5
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2012 X5 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophisticated Redneck View Post
Depends quite a bit on which engine you have in it. Give us details on that. But probably the most common on alot of engines is the coolant sensor located on the passenger side of the Radiator down low next to the lower Radiator inlet hose, it has a o-ring that goes all the time and is known to leak. Very easy to replace if that is it
While fixing that sensor leak on my vehicle I found one more leak in almost the same area. The intercooler hose. Upper clamp is crimp on style and it leaks right there. Haven't got a chance to replace it with worm drive clam yet.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2019, 09:52 AM   #4
Steepcreeker
Rep

Quote:
Thanks, I have the 4.4 TT V8 motor.

Just had to replace that sensor as it started dripping on the passenger side.

However this leak is a lot more substantial and on the drivers side. It also looks like some fluid was sprayed on the top of the motor area.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2019, 12:20 PM   #5
Sophisticated Redneck
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Most likely the turbo coolant lines, if you pop off your engine cover (and LEAVE IT OFF). You will see the lines that run to turbos, they go out all the time as well as the plastic T-fittings. Easy enough to replace. There are many other hoses buried in there but I would start with those, you should see coolant residue around the ones leaking. Heat build-up is a serious issue with the N63 engines, that spiffy looking engine cover plays a direct role in this so leave it off, it is not needed. If the turbo coolant lines check out then look and follow the link as they go down to the water pumps (your car has three water pumps), I doubt is the intercooler lines though as they are usually not under much pressure. Your reservoir tank is usually the next week spot so check under it too for any evidence

Last edited by Sophisticated Redneck; 04-25-2019 at 12:25 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2019, 01:40 PM   #6
TwinSnailz
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 X5//M

I vote for coolant reservoir tank. They are made from recycled milk cartons and glued together with Elmers cow glue.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2019, 04:01 PM   #7
Sophisticated Redneck
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwinSnailz View Post
I vote for coolant reservoir tank. They are made from recycled milk cartons and glued together with Elmers cow glue.
Bwhahahah!!!
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2019, 04:02 PM   #8
Steepcreeker
Rep

Quote:
Most likely the turbo coolant lines, if you pop off your engine cover (and LEAVE IT OFF). You will see the lines that run to turbos, they go out all the time as well as the plastic T-fittings. Easy enough to replace. There are many other hoses buried in there but I would start with those, you should see coolant residue around the ones leaking. Heat build-up is a serious issue with the N63 engines, that spiffy looking engine cover plays a direct role in this so leave it off, it is not needed. If the turbo coolant lines check out then look and follow the link as they go down to the water pumps (your car has three water pumps), I doubt is the intercooler lines though as they are usually not under much pressure. Your reservoir tank is usually the next week spot so check under it too for any evidence
Thanks for this info. I think I'll start at the res. tank as it is easier. Hopefully I'll find my leak.

I'll inspect the turbo lines next. Thanks for your time.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2019, 04:54 PM   #9
Steepcreeker
Rep

Bottom clip of expansion tank is a bear. I'll need a few more tries and a few more bloody knuckles. Tricks to getting this off?
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2019, 05:32 PM   #10
TwinSnailz
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 X5//M

Quote:
Bottom clip of expansion tank is a bear. I'll need a few more tries and a few more bloody knuckles. Tricks to getting this off?
When you remover the 2 bolts up top you can only pull up enough so you can turn the hose clip towards the engine so you can access it with a pick.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2019, 12:36 PM   #11
Laguna Seca Blue
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: N54 E92 | N55 F15 | N55 E70

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwinSnailz View Post
Quote:
When you remover the 2 bolts up top you can only pull up enough so you can turn the hose clip towards the engine so you can access it with a pick.
+1 on the coolant reservoir tank. If you had coolant on top of the engine cover that's likely where it sprayed from under pressure. The N55 powered E70 LCI we just bought for stock had the same issue. Massive puddle under the drivers side front wheel well and coolant clearly visible in engine bay. Swapped out the tank and no more leak

Good luck getting it out. I learnt a long time ago that trying to do mechanical work myself results in broken plastic bits, and a gut wrenching sense of doom. haha.
PROcede Rev3 V5 | AE Quad Exhaust | BMW Performance Short Shift Kit | Gunmetal 19" M3 GTS Wheels | BF Goodrich g-Force T/A KDW 2 | AST 4100 Coilovers | Swift Springs F:280 R:560 | ER Charge Pipe | Tial Blue BOV | VRSF 3" Downpipes | VRSF 7" Intercooler

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=782212
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2019, 08:42 AM   #12
Steepcreeker
Rep

I did end up getting the clip off with the use of some small picks. Took a few tries and a few different ideas to get there.
Appreciate 1
      04-28-2019, 12:36 PM   #13
Steepcreeker
Rep

I am about to order parts from BMW of S. ATL. Thoughts? Other online vendors for OEM parts?

Thanks - P
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2019, 01:31 PM   #14
9vapors
Major
Rep
Drives: CB X5M

Quote:
I am about to order parts from BMW of S. ATL. Thoughts? Other online vendors for OEM parts?

Thanks - P
I bought my expansion tank from Turner... it comes with a new sensor and cap. The one with the yellow arrow is the updated version that is made of some better materials.
https://www.turnermotorsport.com/p-2...uine-bmw-part/
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2019, 01:33 PM   #15
pdX5M
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E70 X5M

Garage List
2013 BMW X5 M  [0.00]
Quote:

Thanks - P
Other OEM retailers in addition to Turner Motorsport are ECS Tuning and FCP Euro. I've ordered parts from all vendors and can't say anything bad about any of them...other than FCP forgetting to pack a couple items in my shipment one time. They were quick to fix the issue though.
- 2013 X5 M - Silverstone Metallic w/ Black Perforated Complete Merino - All OEM Options - 12.5mm/20mm Spacers - Velos Stage 2 - xHP Stage 3 - AA Catless - Megan Racing Supremo - PTP Blanket - K&N Drop In -
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2019, 03:45 PM   #16
Steepcreeker
Rep

Twinsnailz for the win.

Replacing the Res Tank was very easy. Topped off with less than one gallon of fluid. Seems to be ready to roll.

Thanks to those who reached out. Very happy with this forum!

Ordered from FCP Euro, no problems. About $150 shipped with the tank and cap.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2019, 09:55 AM   #17
Alex Ander
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 xDrive3.5i 2013

Quote:
Twinsnailz for the win.

Replacing the Res Tank was very easy. Topped off with less than one gallon of fluid. Seems to be ready to roll.

Thanks to those who reached out. Very happy with this forum!

Ordered from FCP Euro, no problems. About $150 shipped with the tank and cap.
I do not know if you did it but after reinstalling and refilling, you need to burp the system to remove air bubbles.
There is a procedure that you can find on youtube.
Appreciate 0