XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

11-12-2020, 11:18 AM   #1
randrews15
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 E93 M3 Le Mans Blue

Audio Upgrade Impressions

As I have owned my X5 for several years, I have found myself wanting more out of the stereo since I've been spending more time in it. It's a 2013 with the Hi-if system, and while it's not bad, I just feel it could be better. I've done some research on the Bavsound and Bimmertech systems and they appear to be a decent upgrade. But, I'd like to hear from those directly that may of done a system upgrade. I don't need anything to rattle the world, but a nicer system that is reasonably priced is my end goal.
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2020, 11:55 AM   #2
SlowX6M
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2021 X6M, 2012 X5, 2018 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by randrews15 View Post
As I have owned my X5 for several years, I have found myself wanting more out of the stereo since I've been spending more time in it. It's a 2013 with the Hi-if system, and while it's not bad, I just feel it could be better. I've done some research on the Bavsound and Bimmertech systems and they appear to be a decent upgrade. But, I'd like to hear from those directly that may of done a system upgrade. I don't need anything to rattle the world, but a nicer system that is reasonably priced is my end goal.
I advise against Bavsound, I had nasty distortions with their speakers, and really got nowhere with Bavsound. They did refund me, but all installation and removal labor was a complete waste.

Bimmertech speakers are ok, they are certainly and upgrade from the Hifi system, but they aren't very impressive, about on par with Logic 7 system.

Look up the thread I posted yesterday, I upgraded to B&W system which is the top of the line option in the newest G models of BMWs, and I am very satisfied.
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2020, 12:08 PM   #3
Sophisticated Redneck
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW X5 50i

Quote:
One day I plan to do a full upgrade like SlowX6M did but for now I just dropped in a JL powered sub (ACP208LG-W3v3) and it really filled out the sound of the system, I highly recommend it. Connecting it is very easy (I have the same HiFi system as you) since the all the connections are right in the back and the powered sub comes with quick disconnects so you can remove in just a few seconds if you need the cargo space.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
Nyc Dito112.50
      11-12-2020, 12:21 PM   #4
Nyc Dito
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 35d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophisticated Redneck View Post
One day I plan to do a full upgrade like SlowX6M did but for now I just dropped in a JL powered sub (ACP208LG-W3v3) and it really filled out the sound of the system, I highly recommend it. Connecting it is very easy (I have the same HiFi system as you) since the all the connections are right in the back and the powered sub comes with quick disconnects so you can remove in just a few seconds if you need the cargo space.
Hi Sophisticated Redneck.. have any installed pics? I have the S677 option and this might be something I would like to add but wanted to see how it fits back there. If its not too much to ask, thanks..
      11-12-2020, 01:02 PM   #5
Sophisticated Redneck
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW X5 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyc Dito View Post
Hi Sophisticated Redneck.. have any installed pics? I have the S677 option and this might be something I would like to add but wanted to see how it fits back there. If its not too much to ask, thanks..
Sure thing, pics below. I didn't do anything fancy, just tapped into the existing front seat Sub wires to run the high-level inputs on the JL, I used speaker wire which is way overkill but was handy at the time. For power used a 8 gauge amp wiring kit and straight to the battery, again overkill but what was on hand at the time. Going to the battery will require you to drill holes on the right side plastic pocket to feed the wires through, alternative would be just to tap the fuse block with a fuse adapter.

Pics show the wires you need to tap, turn the sensitivity on the Jl internal amp all the way down at first, it doesn't take much. Built in crossover lets you tune out the higher frequencies for clean lows. Pricey but worth it IMHO. Sound is extremely clean, tight, and powerful. Eventually I will go the route of what Slow X6M did (still will keep this sub box) or install a aftermarket DSP from Alpine or Helix and full Focal speakers all around. Speed first through....must...run....11's...
Attached Images

Last edited by Sophisticated Redneck; 11-12-2020 at 01:16 PM..
Appreciate 1
Nyc Dito112.50
      11-12-2020, 05:18 PM   #6
randrews15
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowX6M View Post
Quote:
I advise against Bavsound, I had nasty distortions with their speakers, and really got nowhere with Bavsound. They did refund me, but all installation and removal labor was a complete waste.

Bimmertech speakers are ok, they are certainly and upgrade from the Hifi system, but they aren't very impressive, about on par with Logic 7 system.

Look up the thread I posted yesterday, I upgraded to B&W system which is the top of the line option in the newest G models of BMWs, and I am very satisfied.
I found a Harmon Becker speaker set on Ebay that came out of a 2018 X5. I imagine that's the speaker set up you are referring to. What about amps? I'm sure the stock amp would be fine but any suggestions?
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2020, 05:35 PM   #7
SlowX6M
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
I found a Harmon Becker speaker set on Ebay that came out of a 2018 X5. I imagine that's the speaker set up you are referring to. What about amps? I'm sure the stock amp would be fine but any suggestions?
You mean Harman Kardon, not Becker? No, thats not what I am referring to, I am referring to Bowers & Wilkins.

https://www.xbimmers.com/forums/show....php?t=1774331
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2020, 05:45 PM   #8
RL18
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d sport

Quote:
The stock speakers aren't that bad tbh. I was impressed by what they can add when powered properly. The tweeters are terrible. They don't even cross over effectively with the 4" mids, the mids have to play higher then they should, which is stupid.... so you can upgrade tweeters. I went with infintity 3/4" textile dome tweeters (I prefer the softer more natural sound over the harsh aluminum dome). Then from there you can add an amp. You might be better off with the bavsound amp if you're not familiar sizing amps but there are other options. At this point if your not happy you could add a subwoofer with a technic pnp "add a sub harness" but would probably need some amp with built in DSP or a seperate dsp to properly tune the sub to play with the other speakers or else you could run into issues with canceling out certain frequencies. The tweeters and amps should really be addressed prior or you probably won't get what you want out of it and you'll have inconsistency and gaps in your sound. Ask me how I know

It really all about what your after and what your willing to pay to do it.
      11-12-2020, 06:11 PM   #9
randrews15
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
You mean Harman Kardon, not Becker? No, thats not what I am referring to, I am referring to Bowers & Wilkins.

https://www.xbimmers.com/forums/show....php?t=1774331
That's what the listing said the speakers were. I was a little taken back when I read it and was going to cross reference the part numbers later. My wife has the Harmon system in her 4 series and it's a great. Thanks for the input.
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2020, 06:59 PM   #10
SlowX6M
Lieutenant
Rep

Just be be clear, all of BMWs audio systems are being made by Harman Kardon, at least since mid 2000s or thereabout. That includes base, hifi, HK, L7, B&O and B&W. All the speakers are the same size, although some models use different types of bezels for mounting in the doors vs center/rear deck.

Despite all of them being made by HK, they are being made with different quality components and manufacturing process, and currently the B&W branded systems are their best ones yet.

There are also several options for the amp upgrade. BMWs that are equipped with L7, B&O, B&W and HK already come with digital amp that doesn't need upgrading, in fact there are no upgrades for it available, but there are several choices of amp upgrades for the HiFi system. There are amps from Bavsound, Bimmertech, and Focal.

For those who are unfortunate to have the "Base" audio system, it doesn't even come with an amp, so you can't upgrade it, but speaker upgrade is still beneficial.
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2020, 07:01 PM   #11
SlowX6M
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RL18 View Post
The stock speakers aren't that bad tbh. I was impressed by what they can add when powered properly. The tweeters are terrible. They don't even cross over effectively with the 4" mids, the mids have to play higher then they should, which is stupid.... so you can upgrade tweeters. I went with infintity 3/4" textile dome tweeters (I prefer the softer more natural sound over the harsh aluminum dome). Then from there you can add an amp. You might be better off with the bavsound amp if you're not familiar sizing amps but there are other options. At this point if your not happy you could add a subwoofer with a technic pnp "add a sub harness" but would probably need some amp with built in DSP or a seperate dsp to properly tune the sub to play with the other speakers or else you could run into issues with canceling out certain frequencies. The tweeters and amps should really be addressed prior or you probably won't get what you want out of it and you'll have inconsistency and gaps in your sound. Ask me how I know

It really all about what your after and what your willing to pay to do it.
BMWs with B&W audio system actually use three front tweeters with diamond cones. These retail for $900 a piece, but they do make music very sharp and brilliant. I did not swap these into my X5 because of the ridiculous cost and because they don't come with the filter, I guess the amp has a built in cross over for them.
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2020, 01:49 PM   #12
mitch808
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2012 X5 35i

JL Audio had an X5 specific kit for improving the sound of certain X5 audio systems. It was a set of tweeters, passive xovers, some sort of LOC, a 5ch amp and various brackets for a hidden install.

Pay attention, it was simply tweeters included. The stock speakers were deemed adequate to JL, only needing proper xovers and power. I would agree with their assessment. The factory speakers have a decent basket and magnet, and look and sound underpowered at best.

This could be recreated by most anyone using most any budget and branded parts...
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2020, 11:00 AM   #13
RL18
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:

BMWs with B&W audio system actually use three front tweeters with diamond cones. These retail for $900 a piece, but they do make music very sharp and brilliant. I did not swap these into my X5 because of the ridiculous cost and because they don't come with the filter, I guess the amp has a built in cross over for them.
I'm not familiar with the b&w audio tweeters, but I like silk dome or textile dome tweeters. Just my personal preference. Like you say the metal dome tweeters are very sharp and brilliant and my ears don't like that lol. With stock aluminum dome tweeters I had a ton of distortion and certain frequencies were "highlighted" which made me detune some frequencies in my dsp, but with the infinity tweeters I actually was able to reverse this because they don't distort or hurt my ears. There is still a tiny bit of distortion though, which I'm thinking is from the 4" mids playing too high so I'll be experimenting with a passive lpf to fine tune them.
      11-15-2020, 07:09 PM   #14
SlowX6M
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RL18 View Post
I'm not familiar with the b&w audio tweeters, but I like silk dome or textile dome tweeters. Just my personal preference. Like you say the metal dome tweeters are very sharp and brilliant and my ears don't like that lol. With stock aluminum dome tweeters I had a ton of distortion and certain frequencies were "highlighted" which made me detune some frequencies in my dsp, but with the infinity tweeters I actually was able to reverse this because they don't distort or hurt my ears. There is still a tiny bit of distortion though, which I'm thinking is from the 4" mids playing too high so I'll be experimenting with a passive lpf to fine tune them.
Well, I am not an audiophile by any means, so I can't tell you much about types of materials that are used for tweeters, but I know that the B&W system actually empathizes tweeters the most in the new BMW. For instance, in my 2021 X6M there are a total of 11 tweeters - one center, four doors, two rear deck, and four in the headliner. The three front tweeters (center and two front doors) are using diamond domes, and they retail for about $900 each. The system does sound very good for a BMW, and very bright and clear.

The mids and subs are also very good, for a BMW. They can't handle too much power, but the clarity is great as long as you keep your volume at reasonable levels. I had Logic 7, B&W, Bavsound and Bimmertech midrange speakers on my desk bench, tested them sides to side, and the B&W clearly produces the highest quality sound.

So far in my X5 I have installed two B&W subs and seven B&W midranges, and I am very happy, it sounds really really good. Maybe some day I'll add the three diamond tweeters as well, but I can't really justify dropping nearly 3k for them.

Now, with all of this being said, it is important to manage your expectations. BMW does not design custom enclosures for different audio systems, so even the cheapest speakers share exact the same enclosures and are interchangeable with the most expensive B&W speakers. You will never get the same quality sound as say a Mark Levinson system that Lexus uses, where they actually have custom enclosures designed for the ML speakers to interact with. Also, BMW underseat subwoofers are very shallow and use very shallow enclosures, so they really are more like mid-woofers and won't hit low frequencies, but the B&W ones are nicely balanced with the midranges, and so overall the system sounds real good. Of course if you want true audiophile system, you must go with custom built everything, but that can be very invasive and inconvenient, not to mention expensive.
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2020, 08:12 AM   #15
RL18
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:

Well, I am not an audiophile by any means, so I can't tell you much about types of materials that are used for tweeters, but I know that the B&W system actually empathizes tweeters the most in the new BMW. For instance, in my 2021 X6M there are a total of 11 tweeters - one center, four doors, two rear deck, and four in the headliner. The three front tweeters (center and two front doors) are using diamond domes, and they retail for about $900 each. The system does sound very good for a BMW, and very bright and clear.

The mids and subs are also very good, for a BMW. They can't handle too much power, but the clarity is great as long as you keep your volume at reasonable levels. I had Logic 7, B&W, Bavsound and Bimmertech midrange speakers on my desk bench, tested them sides to side, and the B&W clearly produces the highest quality sound.

So far in my X5 I have installed two B&W subs and seven B&W midranges, and I am very happy, it sounds really really good. Maybe some day I'll add the three diamond tweeters as well, but I can't really justify dropping nearly 3k for them.

Now, with all of this being said, it is important to manage your expectations. BMW does not design custom enclosures for different audio systems, so even the cheapest speakers share exact the same enclosures and are interchangeable with the most expensive B&W speakers. You will never get the same quality sound as say a Mark Levinson system that Lexus uses, where they actually have custom enclosures designed for the ML speakers to interact with. Also, BMW underseat subwoofers are very shallow and use very shallow enclosures, so they really are more like mid-woofers and won't hit low frequencies, but the B&W ones are nicely balanced with the midranges, and so overall the system sounds real good. Of course if you want true audiophile system, you must go with custom built everything, but that can be very invasive and inconvenient, not to mention expensive.
That's a lot of tweeters! I wonder how they are wired or tuned into the system. Makes me want to add 6 more tweeters in my headliner and say I have 12
EDIT: that 11 tweeter system has 20 individual channels

Do you happen to know any specs on the b&w speakers? I'd be interesting to see how they compare to other options, they sound like a solid alternative.

That's nice you have the logic 7 system in your x5, I was cursed with the base system in my X5 :, so I put together my own system... so far I have the 6 grs 4" midranges and 6 infinity tweeters, and the two 8" grs woofers all amplified by focal compact amps (two 4ch 58w per ch & one 2ch 105w per ch) getting their signal from an audiocontrol DM-810 dsp. Just that sounds amazing. I'm hoping to get my subwoofer enclosure finished up soon and then add my two jl tw3s that are anxiously waiting to be powered by a focal 850w mono amp then I'll be adding two audiofrog 2 1/2" speakers in the center channel to kick it up a few notches
      11-17-2020, 01:39 PM   #16
SlowX6M
Lieutenant
Rep

I will try and record a video next week going over the details of the system and post it here.
Appreciate 1