XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

11-07-2020, 06:43 PM   #1
BlackBitch
Rep
Drives: Black 07 x5

X5 electrical breakdown

Tonight, my truck shitted on me out of no where. I got the 4wddsc malfunction, limp mode and tranny keep snapping back to park. Even in neutral idling in park, the shifter wi keep defaulting back to park over and over. Then it acted like it didn't wanna start. I let it sit for a few and it started right up, no errors but after driving for a few minutes, the error popped back up with limp mode and park. I was already having a edc error.
Is it the dreaded battery? Battery came with car when I bought it. Not sure how old it is. It dropped down to 13.9 running when I turned on the heat.
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2020, 08:09 PM   #2
wcs531
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90 335xi / E70 X5d

The ground strap deteriorates over time and is known to cause issues, not sure if it causes limp or the trans issues though.

Use a multi-meter to check the voltage from the hot jump point to the oil filter housing or something on the block, then compare that to just the voltage at the jump points.
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2020, 03:07 PM   #3
BlackBitch
Rep

And the ground strap causes the awd/dsc light as well as oil level sensor malfunction too?
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2020, 05:23 PM   #4
pdX5M
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E70 X5M

Garage List
2013 BMW X5 M  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackBitch View Post
And the ground strap causes the awd/dsc light as well as oil level sensor malfunction too?
It can cause all sorts of errors. Bad battery/ground can throw up a Christmas tree of lights.
- 2013 X5 M - Silverstone Metallic w/ Black Perforated Complete Merino - All OEM Options - 12.5mm/20mm Spacers - Velos Stage 2 - xHP Stage 3 - AA Catless - Megan Racing Supremo - PTP Blanket - K&N Drop In -
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2020, 02:02 PM   #5
BlackBitch
Rep

So I took it to the mechanic who used to own an e70 and now has the newer x5 M. He said he couldn't find anything and the computer didn't pull up any codes except for the edc shock. I'd I had the ista, I could diagnose and repair my one shit.
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2020, 04:51 PM   #6
BlackBitch
Rep

Recent developments with the x5....last week I experienced the loud cooling fan upon cold start. Normally I turn off the truck and back on, he fan wood be off. This day I left it and drove to work. Eventually it cut off on my way in to work. After arriving to work, no more than 10 minutes,my truck started leaking out coolant. Coming from the expansion tank. Are there connection under the expansion tank if wet can cause problems?
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2020, 10:29 PM   #7
wcs531
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90 335xi / E70 X5d

Expansion tank itself cracking is not unheard of.

Also from my understanding all gas BMWs that have the electric water pump, that water pump fails like clockwork between 60k-80k miles. And its best to replace the thermostat when in there as well.
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2020, 05:59 AM   #8
Sophisticated Redneck
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW X5 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackBitch View Post
Recent developments with the x5....last week I experienced the loud cooling fan upon cold start. Normally I turn off the truck and back on, he fan wood be off. This day I left it and drove to work. Eventually it cut off on my way in to work. After arriving to work, no more than 10 minutes,my truck started leaking out coolant. Coming from the expansion tank. Are there connection under the expansion tank if wet can cause problems?
The Expansion tank on the X5 loves to crack at the seams and then it runs down side of the plastic makes it look like a leak underneath. That's not to say it couldn't be the hose connection under it, but 90 percent of the time it's the tank itself.

Replacing is a bit of a pain in the ass, there is one hose connection held in by a clip and a sensor connection. Search the forums for expansion tank replacement and you will find some posts with detailed pics on how to replace. Biggest issues is releasing the hose locking clip which you have to use a pick tool and a mirror or borescope to see on most X5's.
Appreciate 0