XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

11-23-2020, 02:26 PM   #1
chris604
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X5 M

X5M Coil stuck on Spark plug. help!!

Well, I tried and tried to remove the coil on number 6 cylinder, but it was wedged so tight, the boot actually did break off. Despite, what advice I got that 'it won't break', lol. Anyways, there's just a small rubber piece left around the plug now, any idea how to remove that? I can't get needle nose pliers down in there now, and theres probably too much rubber for the spark plug socket to fit on. Here's what it looks like now:

The shorter one (broken) is from cylinder 6 Cylinder 5 is normal. #6 was from Napa, and I installed it about 2 years ago. It definitely doesn't look the same as the original one.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      11-23-2020, 04:53 PM   #2
Dawgz
2022 M4 Comp Xdrive
Rep
Drives: 2022 M4 Comp Xdrive

They sell long specialty needle nose pliers for this.

Btw the "it won't break" was for the plastic handle ontop the coil, not the rubber boot.
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2020, 08:26 PM   #3
chris604
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgz View Post
They sell long specialty needle nose pliers for this.

Btw the "it won't break" was for the plastic handle ontop the coil, not the rubber boot.
Dam, that would have made it easier. I just used a coat hanger, and made a pick out of it. It still took a half hour of digging that rubber boot out. It came out in 4 pieces, as it was really on there. I guess the dielectric grease is a must, before putting the coil on.

And, I guess there's a specialty spark plug tool? As the regular 6 point 14 mm spark plug socket won't go on at all.

Although, now that I put an oem coil on #6, I'm going to test it out tonight, to see if the misfire is gone, finally?

Crossing my fingers....
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2020, 08:43 PM   #4
Dawgz
2022 M4 Comp Xdrive
Rep
Drives: 2022 M4 Comp Xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris604 View Post
Dam, that would have made it easier. I just used a coat hanger, and made a pick out of it. It still took a half hour of digging that rubber boot out. It came out in 4 pieces, as it was really on there. I guess the dielectric grease is a must, before putting the coil on.

And, I guess there's a specialty spark plug tool? As the regular 6 point 14 mm spark plug socket won't go on at all.

Although, now that I put an oem coil on #6, I'm going to test it out tonight, to see if the misfire is gone, finally?

Crossing my fingers....

You need a 14mm thin walled spark plug. Emphasise on thin wall.

I use this

https://burgertuning.com/products/bm...ug-socket-tool
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2020, 11:36 PM   #5
chris604
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgz View Post
You need a 14mm thin walled spark plug. Emphasise on thin wall.

I use this

https://burgertuning.com/products/bm...ug-socket-tool
Ah ok, I'll try that. Thanks!

BTW, tested it out for an hour, and ran flawlessss!! No misfires at all. So, it was the coil. However, 2 years ago, it was misfiring, and I changed it to the cheaper non-oem coil, but made no difference from what I could tell at the time. But, in the meantime, I've changed 4 vacuum hoses on the top of the motor, so maybe that was the reason it was misfiring on cylinder 6 originally, but then recently it had a very bad misfire, cause of the worn out cheap coil, that only lasted 2 years. So, it's like theres 2 types of misfires, 1) faint intermittent misfire, (probably due to vacuum leaks) and 2) consistent misfire happens when you apply more than 60% throttle or so. Interesting. I think I will just change all plugs to be safe as well.
Appreciate 0