XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

03-26-2019, 09:15 AM   #1
Kaltrin
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 x5 50i Msport

X5, water damage to jbe. Car not starting or cranking

So, the car had water on the passenger side floor, a ton of it. the car worked fine until my brother was driving on the highway and the car completely lost electronics power and the engine was still running, but also died after a few seconds.

We tried jumping it and getting a new battery but the car doesn't start. All electronics work when the car goes into ACC. you try to start it and you hear i think the fuel pump turning on, but no crank or anything. There are a ton of faults in the idrive and the car doesn't go into neutral. We towed it to the shop and scanned it and got a ton of codes pretty much everything. we starting looking at the fuses and saw that it was wet a bit. Looked into it and saw that the jbe plugs were rusted and started to miss pins. so we ordered a new (used) jBE with the fuse box also. once we got the new jbe we installed it and same outcome, but now the car won't read the dme "no communication with computer unit" or something like. we decided to change the plugs also, but nothing changed. we noticed we are not getting any power to all the engine management fuses. We looked at the DME but that looks in good condition.

Does anyone know what it could be?

Last edited by Kaltrin; 03-26-2019 at 10:03 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2020, 12:12 PM   #2
chicog
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 White ESS Supercharge

Hi im having the same issue on my x5 as you. Did you end up resolving the issue if so how ? Need help
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2020, 08:39 AM   #3
chicog
Rep

I know its an old tread but can anybody help me i have the same situation . Fuse box change JBE change Batterry change. Still no crank . I have no faults with the CAS but no communication with DME
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2020, 02:13 PM   #4
philly42
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X5M, Z3M

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicog View Post
I know its an old tread but can anybody help me i have the same situation . Fuse box change JBE change Batterry change. Still no crank . I have no faults with the CAS but no communication with DME
Did you code the JBE to your car?

I had an issue of components not working in my car. purchased a used JBE on ebay....coded it to my vin....no issues.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2020, 07:19 PM   #5
chicog
Rep

No we didnt will try that thanks
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2020, 10:12 PM   #6
Skers 05
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 1M Clone, '11 328i, '13 X5

Take off the passenger side engine bay cowl and see if there is water pooled up between the shock tower and the firewall. I believe this is were the DME is located. If there is water pooled here, clear out the clogged drain line with compressed air. I used a can of computer keyboard cleaner to unclog the line.
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2020, 03:08 AM   #7
YASSA
Rep
Drives: 2011 E70 X5M

I'm experiencing the same issue, no communication with the DME. Also have numerous faults present on the iDrive and unable to go into neutral. Can I ask what the solution was?

Cheers
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2020, 09:48 PM   #8
ryansbmw
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 X5 35i M-Sport, 2010 535x

Wow. Same kinda thing just happened to me as well.

Not sure I had water damage but the same end results. Car sat for 3 weeks, started it up and everything was good. Drove for 20 min to get gas. Engine wouldn’t start after refueling. I wish I checked for water before I had it towed to my shop. The local dealer who looked at the car first didn’t mention anything about water but who knows.

Last edited by ryansbmw; 11-23-2020 at 09:58 PM..
Appreciate 0