XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

11-03-2020, 03:22 PM   #1
mrsoandso
Private
Rep
Drives: '11 X6M

2011 X6M battery draining at 10amps - local shop gave up

2011 X6M - recently had the battery replaced with a NAPA AGM battery by my local shop. Prior to this new battery, I was getting 'increased battery drain' errors for a while. The truck made it though a Canadian winter, and while doing some other work, I opted for the battery to get replaced.

Now I can't go more than a day or two and the trucks completely dead. Local shop spent half a day on it, said they can't get wiring diagrams aftermarket and told me to go to BMW. They did a parasitic test and found the truck pulling 10amps when turned off. They did some testing, pulled some fuses, and can't find out what's causing 10amps of drain.

In the middle of all of this, my media control knob (forget the actual name) stopped working. Sometimes the buttons works, sometimes they don't. Buttons work when it lights up, spinny knob never works.

Any advice? This shop uses my 3rd party extended warranty, BMW doesn't use that warranty company as far as I know.

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by mrsoandso; 11-03-2020 at 04:57 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2020, 05:37 PM   #2
Dawgz
2022 M4 Comp Xdrive
Rep
Drives: 2022 M4 Comp Xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsoandso View Post
2011 X6M - recently had the battery replaced with a NAPA AGM battery by my local shop. Prior to this new battery, I was getting 'increased battery drain' errors for a while. The truck made it though a Canadian winter, and while doing some other work, I opted for the battery to get replaced.

Now I can't go more than a day or two and the trucks completely dead. Local shop spent half a day on it, said they can't get wiring diagrams aftermarket and told me to go to BMW. They did a parasitic test and found the truck pulling 10amps when turned off. They did some testing, pulled some fuses, and can't find out what's causing 10amps of drain.

In the middle of all of this, my media control knob (forget the actual name) stopped working. Sometimes the buttons works, sometimes they don't. Buttons work when it lights up, spinny knob never works.

Any advice? This shop uses my 3rd party extended warranty, BMW doesn't use that warranty company as far as I know.

Thanks in advance!

Do you have comfort door handles? Those are usually the cause of parasitic draw when they go bad.
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2020, 05:48 PM   #3
mrsoandso
Private
Rep
Drives: '11 X6M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgz View Post
Do you have comfort door handles? Those are usually the cause of parasitic draw when they go bad.
Yes I do. Any way to test this?
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2020, 06:10 PM   #4
TwinSnailz
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 X5//M

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsoandso View Post
Yes I do. Any way to test this?
Easy now that the weather is cooler. Touch each door handle parked overnight. The warmest one wins!
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2020, 06:38 PM   #5
Dawgz
2022 M4 Comp Xdrive
Rep
Drives: 2022 M4 Comp Xdrive

Yea or it's easy to unplug it one by one till you see the draw stop.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2020, 04:56 PM   #6
asdf4fdsa
United_States
Rep
Drives: x5 e70 lci 35i

If CA is not it as prescribed above, try testing each fuse for the high current draw to narrow down on the device/system.

Here's a quick and dirty technique to find high current draws across fuses: https://us.autologic.com/news/testin...e-voltage-drop
Appreciate 0