XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

12-12-2018, 11:46 PM   #1
p0lar
Naturally agitated
United_States
Rep
Drives: 11 E90 M3, 12 E70 X5d, 04 M3

Trailer hitch installation snafu on E70 LCI

I managed to pick up an OEM trailer hitch kit from a BMW dealership via eBay for ~$342 shipped to my door with an eBay 10% off coupon ($380 originally). This included the AHM module, wiring, and all the miscellaneous fittings, wire ties, wire tap, etc. (plus the hitch, obviously)

Most of the chore wasn't bad, though I'm convinced it would have greatly helped if the kit came with instructions, and more importantly, a template for cutting the rear fascia insert(s).

Does anyone have a template I can overlay to make the cut? I was able to download a copy of the instructions, but I have no idea where to start my cut to make the additional trim panel insert fit (which I haven't acquired yet, part number 71600035371).

I know many will question the rationale of buying the OEM hitch vs. execuhitch or invisihitch, but from my perspective, the full functionality of the OEM hitch was difficult to match with an aftermarket hitch, including a pre-attached bracket for the trailer connector and retention of the OEM rear tow eyelet mounts. To get the entire package for $342 shipped was simply too good to pass up.

Should I just wait until I get the trim panel insert, and cut with prudence, or is there a template I'm missing from the kit? I suppose for now I'll be driving without the lower two trim pieces attached to the rear bumper cover. If you thought the aesthetics were bad with the OEM hitch, you should see it without the two lower fascia pieces...

Just as a point of reference, adding +AHMU to my VO went smoothly via ncsexpert and everything was already coded correctly save for the CIC option. The ncsexpert settings I verified are as follows (for those who may follow), do bear in mind this is an E70 LCI (2012 35d).

FA/VO addition to CAS/FRM: +AHMU

AHM Module, LAENDERVARIANTE_AHM = "us"
RPDC Module, ANHAENGERKUPPLUNG = nicht_aktiv
CIC Module, MACRO_TRAILER_COUPLING = aktiv
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2018, 10:21 PM   #2
E46_TommyP
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: *E46 M3 *E70 35d

My oe fascia cut out trim piece came with a paper template, yours should come with one as well... took me forever to figure out how to mount the template, if I remember correctly your top line on the template is body line on bumper otherwise you have no reference line, so fascia and bumper will need to be attached together to make the cut. Good luck
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2018, 11:01 PM   #3
jiggz
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3|F15 X5 50i

That's a great price for an OEM hitch! Like 50% off!

Still, I would never cut the rear bumper on these cars. I do think on yours it will look a bit better because it's not an M Sport. M Sports look terrible with the OEM hitch. Just my own .02.

I have the Execuhitch which I like a lot, but I understand if your towing substantial weight, it's not the most popular option. I only use it for a bike rack.
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2018, 12:40 AM   #4
p0lar
Naturally agitated
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by E46_TommyP View Post
My oe fascia cut out trim piece came with a paper template, yours should come with one as well... took me forever to figure out how to mount the template, if I remember correctly your top line on the template is body line on bumper otherwise you have no reference line, so fascia and bumper will need to be attached together to make the cut. Good luck
Thanks for the input, mine absolutely didn't come with the template. The depictions on the online instructions don't show the LCI style bumper with the dual rear fascia pieces in the lower section, and especially not with PDC.

I guess I'm on the hunt for that template now! Does anyone know if that bracket will actually fit a LCI rear bumper? (is it different?)
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2018, 12:42 AM   #5
p0lar
Naturally agitated
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jiggz View Post
That's a great price for an OEM hitch! Like 50% off!

Still, I would never cut the rear bumper on these cars. I do think on yours it will look a bit better because it's not an M Sport. M Sports look terrible with the OEM hitch. Just my own .02.

I have the Execuhitch which I like a lot, but I understand if your towing substantial weight, it's not the most popular option. I only use it for a bike rack.
Yeah, I like the look of the execuhitch and invisihitch, but I will need every advantage I can get to eventually tow a GT3. I figure that appendage will hide the unnecessarily ugly hitch installation.
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2018, 03:39 PM   #6
bandwagn
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2006 325xi

Garage List
2010 X6M  [0.00]
2006 330Cic  [0.00]
Mine is an X6, so it may be a bit different - it came with a template but I didn't use it - just lined the cover up and took the Dremel to it until it fit.

I may still have the template in the garage somewhere
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2018, 03:54 PM   #7
spurcap
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i 2012 x5 35d

I put oem hitch on my LCI. my kit came with paper template. I made copies of the template in case I screwed it up but can't remember if I saved it as a PDF or just photocopied. I will check tomorrow if I have it in PDF and can send if I do.
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2018, 03:58 PM   #8
jandref321
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2012 X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by bandwagn View Post
Mine is an X6, so it may be a bit different - it came with a template but I didn't use it - just lined the cover up and took the Dremel to it until it fit.

I may still have the template in the garage somewhere
Hope you can find it...I did a bunch of searches and couldn’t find it anywhere online. Maybe scan it too and upload the scan with a ruler next to it. That way people can print it the correct size.

Nothing beats OEM fitment and ability to retain the tow loop points. I just did the Stealthhitches setup which is a different company from execuhitch or invisihitch but I still lost those recovery points. They do come with the 7pin bracket, adapter, OE wiring harness, module, coding included, and the actual ball too. But the price point is way higher...3 x the OPs awesome deal.
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2018, 10:32 AM   #9
p0lar
Naturally agitated
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jandref321 View Post
Hope you can find it...I did a bunch of searches and couldn’t find it anywhere online. Maybe scan it too and upload the scan with a ruler next to it. That way people can print it the correct size.

Nothing beats OEM fitment and ability to retain the tow loop points. I just did the Stealthhitches setup which is a different company from execuhitch or invisihitch but I still lost those recovery points. They do come with the 7pin bracket, adapter, OE wiring harness, module, coding included, and the actual ball too. But the price point is way higher...3 x the OPs awesome deal.
There is an even better deal today, 15% off $380, so $323 shipped within ConUS with eBay coupon PICKUPSALE.
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2018, 06:48 PM   #10
p0lar
Naturally agitated
United_States
Rep

Just a quick bump to see if anyone has a template they could possibly spare!
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2019, 03:01 PM   #11
spurcap
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by p0lar View Post
Just a quick bump to see if anyone has a template they could possibly spare!
I found the template on my work computer in PDF for LCI. Happy to send - PM me an email address or else let me know a better way to send.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2019, 04:42 PM   #12
p0lar
Naturally agitated
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by spurcap View Post
I found the template on my work computer in PDF for LCI. Happy to send - PM me an email address or else let me know a better way to send.
I don't know how I missed this, but I did - thank you for the offer. I actually ordered the E70 X5 LCI trim bracket kit (71 60 2 185 557), which consisted of the metal trim bracket, two rivets with washers, and an 8.5" x 14" paper template (82 11 0 440 591)!

The cost was $27 at ECS Tuning, and while I do understand why it didn't come with the kit (as the hitch kit fits both LCI and pre-LCI), some institutional knowledge in the instructions would have been most helpful. I scanned the template in as a PDF and plan to see what it takes to post it here since it is unavailable for sale or online otherwise.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2019, 06:45 PM   #13
spurcap
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Reflecting, it makes sense the template comes with the trim kit. the trim is different as is the template for LCI vs preLCI whereas the hitch is the same. I guess that is why the template came with the trim and not the hitch ...
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2019, 09:55 AM   #14
p0lar
Naturally agitated
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Reflecting, it makes sense the template comes with the trim kit. the trim is different as is the template for LCI vs preLCI whereas the hitch is the same. I guess that is why the template came with the trim and not the hitch ...
The logic is sound, but the instructions for the hitch kit could have included a reference to the proper trim kit for pre-LCI or LCI. I believe the part number for the pre-LCI bumper/trailer hitch trim is 71600035371. Future readers should do their own due diligence since I don't own a pre-LCI.
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2019, 02:34 PM   #15
garagelogician
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2012 X5d

Quote:
Sending you a PM now.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2022, 01:49 AM   #16
Johanne$
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW X5 xDrive35i

Hi,
just bought a LCI 35i. Im looking to mount a trailer-hitch.
Just made an account on the forum, so I'm not able to send you a PM yet.
Do some of you still have the cut template for the rear bumper? Could you eventually send me a PM?
thanks!
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2022, 11:56 AM   #17
TRENDSETTER
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW X5, Duramax LBZ, Mazda CX-

I just installed a curt 13077 on my 2011 X5. Was pretty straight forard and simple. For the cut out I just found center (using 2 of the closest bolt holes) thenmeasured 2" out on either side then 2 1/4" back from edge, marked it, thencut the sidecuts with tin snips and used a straight edge to do the other cut with a sharp razor knife. I scored it a few times then was able to bend it and came off flush. You can't see it unless you look for it from underneath but looks pretty much like it was like that from factory. Simple process no need for a template. My mistake was not realizing it came with new bolts and washers. I reused the factory stuff and torqued it down put it back together and found the hardware bag ha ging under after a short trip. Oops. But I think it will be fine. I used locktite when reinstalling just for puece of mind so should be good.
Appreciate 0