XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos

12-03-2018, 12:26 AM   #23
smrtypants44
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 440i

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgoldenz View Post
lol @ them offering trade in value for their own screwup, not even clean retail value. Brutal
NADA value could also mean retail value-which is probably what they are offering.
      12-03-2018, 05:17 AM   #24
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Dre View Post
If they got use out of the car why should VW have to reimburse them the full amount of the car. It's not as if they didn't get any use out of the car.

When vehicles are repurchased the manufacturer has the discretion to refund the full purchase price or to take into consideration that they did get use out of the vehicle.

They have to sell it at auction. The car will be branded. They are not going to get
Not that I have a dog in this fight, but VW sold them a car that did not pass US regulatory requirements in force at the time of manufacture of the vehicle (which is illegal just BTW). The manufacturers label on the driver's door pillar states as such, which in essence VW lied about the vehicle meeting all Federal automotive requirements. VW should just give the OP a new vehicle or one comparable to what he currently owns.

I'd be getting a replacement vehicle for free. VW is basically forcing the OP to trade in his car because they fucked up and sold it to him illegally. And people complain about General Motors...
A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission. "Yeah, but NO ONE puts an automatic trans shift knob on a manual transmission."

Last edited by Efthreeoh; 12-03-2018 at 05:26 AM..
Appreciate 3
paliknight2186.50
Viffermike1753.00
DETRoadster11446.00
      12-03-2018, 08:09 AM   #25
SteveinArizona
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 530e

"clean" kelley blue book pricing would be reasonable if they offered you the retail price but they are offering you the wholesale price.

Volkswagen is rightly reeling from its fraudulent activities regarding diesel engines. I would demand retail price on a "clean" vehicle and if they demurred, I would tell them, and followup, with your local television stations and newspapers that Volkswagen is at it again.

I think retail price on a "clean" vehicle is a reasonable buyback. You did get the use of the vehicle but they should pay you retail value.
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2018, 08:31 AM   #26
Wolf 335
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 E92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Efthreeoh View Post
Not that I have a dog in this fight, but VW sold them a car that did not pass US regulatory requirements in force at the time of manufacture of the vehicle (which is illegal just BTW). The manufacturers label on the driver's door pillar states as such, which in essence VW lied about the vehicle meeting all Federal automotive requirements. VW should just give the OP a new vehicle or one comparable to what he currently owns.

I'd be getting a replacement vehicle for free. VW is basically forcing the OP to trade in his car because they fucked up and sold it to him illegally. And people complain about General Motors...
True
Appreciate 1
      12-03-2018, 12:03 PM   #27
dgoldenz
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Vanquish, FF, 392 Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by smrtypants44 View Post
NADA value could also mean retail value-which is probably what they are offering.
OP's post later in the thread says this:

"From now until March 31, 2019, vehicle values will be calculated and paid based upon the NADA Clean-Trade Value in the USA / Canadian Black Book Value in Canada."
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2018, 01:31 PM   #28
SteveinArizona
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 530e

If this issue sees the light of day...Volkswagen will be pilloried over what it is doing and will have to retreat.

Again...the cars are six years old so it shouldn't be the same as a lemon law reimbursement. But they owe their customers better treatment than they are offering.

Wells Fargo realized it screwed up...albeit it very late and has now shown remorse over its actions and promising a fresh start. I don't see that coming from VW.
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2018, 02:30 PM   #29
biz77
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2021 X3 M40i

Per many previous posters, I would at least ask for retail value of the vehicle and then some and here is why:

1. Their mistake is causing you unnecessary burden. There should be some compensation for this alone.
2. If you were to actually trade in your vehicle you would most likely be receiving a sales tax credit on the difference of the trade-in value versus the new car purchase price.
3. When you go to purchase another vehicle, which you now MUST do because of their mistake, you pay retail, not trade-in value.
4. You will be forced to pay all of the licensing/registration and BS doc fees when you purchase another vehicle.

I would find a few comparable vehicles available for sale in your area and calculate what the sales tax and licensing fees would be so that you have an out-the-door price. Better yet, visit the dealership and let them know your situation and ask them for a written out-the-door purchase price summary. I would try to stick to vehicles for sale at VW dealerships if possible.
Compile this and present it to VAG of America. Show them how replacing your vehicle is going to cost more than what they are offering you and it's only fair that they compensate you to a degree that puts you back at net zero.
Furthermore, the financial impact of replacing the actual vehicle is only part of the equation. You have now been required to put time in researching how this impacts you and you will undoubtedly be spending time pursuing a new vehicle, all of which you should be compensated for. I would push for no less than $500 compensation for time and aggravation and would actually ask for more. My guess is they will give in pretty easily to these demands as they are not unreasonable and would not be worth their time fighting over it in court.
Appreciate 2
      12-03-2018, 03:24 PM   #30
dgoldenz
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Vanquish, FF, 392 Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by biz77 View Post
Per many previous posters, I would at least ask for retail value of the vehicle and then some and here is why:

1. Their mistake is causing you unnecessary burden. There should be some compensation for this alone.
2. If you were to actually trade in your vehicle you would most likely be receiving a sales tax credit on the difference of the trade-in value versus the new car purchase price.
3. When you go to purchase another vehicle, which you now MUST do because of their mistake, you pay retail, not trade-in value.
4. You will be forced to pay all of the licensing/registration and BS doc fees when you purchase another vehicle.

I would find a few comparable vehicles available for sale in your area and calculate what the sales tax and licensing fees would be so that you have an out-the-door price. Better yet, visit the dealership and let them know your situation and ask them for a written out-the-door purchase price summary. I would try to stick to vehicles for sale at VW dealerships if possible.
Compile this and present it to VAG of America. Show them how replacing your vehicle is going to cost more than what they are offering you and it's only fair that they compensate you to a degree that puts you back at net zero.
Furthermore, the financial impact of replacing the actual vehicle is only part of the equation. You have now been required to put time in researching how this impacts you and you will undoubtedly be spending time pursuing a new vehicle, all of which you should be compensated for. I would push for no less than $500 compensation for time and aggravation and would actually ask for more. My guess is they will give in pretty easily to these demands as they are not unreasonable and would not be worth their time fighting over it in court.
Man, you're easy....I'd be pushing for retail value plus $5k.
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2018, 03:46 PM   #31
Rox335i
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 14' 335i, 17' X6 35i

Man that sucks. Wouldn't want to give my car away if its paid off and only for a couple thousand....
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2018, 08:54 AM   #32
kdeleon
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M5

Maybe VW should offer you a CPO vehicle that is about 3 years old and just came back in. It would seem like a more generous option even though it probably cost them the same as it would be at cost for them. At least you get a much newer vehicle that comes with a warranty and VW gets the other car off the road.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2018, 03:38 PM   #33
biz77
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2021 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgoldenz View Post
Man, you're easy....I'd be pushing for retail value plus $5k.
We're speaking the same language, but I suspect your $5,000.00 ask would be a tough sell to VW unless you're a surgeon or partner in a law firm where you can translate your hourly income lost to that sum of money. The average time spent researching and making the purchase of a used vehicle is somewhere just south of 20 total hours. If you make $50.00/hour that translates to roughly $1,000.00. As I stated prior I would ask for no less than $500, no matter your income/financial situation.
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2018, 04:57 AM   #34
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

This whole thing is asinine.

OP, was the vehicle you bought used, as in some other private person bought the car and registered it prior to your ownership, or was it a VW corporate vehicle that was previously registered by Volkswagen?
A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission. "Yeah, but NO ONE puts an automatic trans shift knob on a manual transmission."
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2018, 10:15 AM   #35
starlights
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G05 50i

OP, if you bought the car from a VW dealer, you could lawyer up and send VW a letter with intent to sue for having been sold an illegal vehicle and putting your family at risk for so many years. Demand for a new same model vehicle for your risk.

Additionally, you could make some noise on social media and possible news channels - sure to get their attention.
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2018, 11:51 AM   #36
December2007
Registered
Rep
Drives: Vw

@turnmando We are also getting our zero series recalled and just paid off. I’m hoping someone starts a class action lawsuit. I also sent a long detailed email to the FTC. There is also a huge recall for these vehicles in Germany! https://car-recalls.eu/vw-solves-the...he-entire-car/

Last edited by December2007; 02-14-2019 at 10:53 PM..
Appreciate 1
IanMan382.50
      12-10-2018, 02:48 PM   #37
PshhhhhMW
Major
Rep
Drives: 2021 Alpine White M550i

Quote:
Originally Posted by December2007 View Post
@turnmando We are also getting our zero series recalled and just paid off the car after 5 years. It’s a 2013 VW Tiguan. I’m hoping someone starts a class action lawsuit. I also sent a long detailed email to the FTC. There is also a huge recall for these vehicles in Germany! https://car-recalls.eu/vw-solves-the...he-entire-car/
Definitely do class action. You guys will get the short end unless you all band together.
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2018, 03:11 PM   #38
G35POPPEDMYCHERRY
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F80

lol is this real life?? Just squeeze out a new car, or get ready for one of the most lengthiest legal processes known to man
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2018, 03:14 PM   #39
PshhhhhMW
Major
Rep
Drives: 2021 Alpine White M550i

Quote:
Originally Posted by G35POPPEDMYCHERRY View Post
lol is this real life?? Just squeeze out a new car, or get ready for one of the most lengthiest legal processes known to man
Not everyone wants to start over on payments my dude. Doubt they can trade their Tiguan in for a new one straight up.

They are being forced to get rid of a paid off car.
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2018, 03:29 PM   #40
G35POPPEDMYCHERRY
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F80

Quote:
Originally Posted by PshhhhhMW View Post
Not everyone wants to start over on payments my dude. Doubt they can trade their Tiguan in for a new one straight up.

They are being forced to get rid of a paid off car.
No i agree, the car should be free lol. What a pickle OP is in
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2018, 12:54 PM   #41
hwntime
Captain
Rep
Drives: F22 Raptor

Quote:
Originally Posted by PshhhhhMW View Post
Definitely do class action. You guys will get the short end unless you all band together.
The only people that benefit from a large scale class action lawsuits are the lawyers involved. X amount of dollars won in a settlement to be divided up between 50-100k people or however many recalled vehicles there are, less attorney fees equals basically peanuts to the consumers of these vehicles. It's a long, drawn out process in which the manufacturer pays out millions of dollars and passes this on to the end user in higher priced goods. Everyone loses except the lawyers.
Appreciate 2
      12-11-2018, 02:16 PM   #42
December2007
Registered
Rep
Drives: Vw

More on VW scandal https://jalopnik.com/volkswagen-is-i...pre-1831012179
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2018, 04:04 PM   #43
Emilime75
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2010 335i E92 LeMans Blue

^WOW! How do they "accidentally" sell 6700, possibly 17,000, cars that weren't meant to be sold...and why would they build so many "test and/or display" cars?

Doesn't quite seem like the whole story is being told.

If I was the OP I'd fight this tooth and nail and get a new car out of it.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2018, 04:07 PM   #44
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Smog machines

Man VW is one shady company. Glad I own a couple of them.
Appreciate 1