XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos

12-02-2018, 09:56 AM   #1
Turbmando
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2012 135i

VW is buying back my 6 yr old Tiguan

Due to a recall with no fix. Car will be bought back at NADA market value.

This is a big inconvenience to my family since the car has been payed off for years and we planned to keep it for at least 4 more years. We don’t want to buy a car of equivalent price, we would upgrade.

Any advice on getting more than what it’s worth? Do I have certain rights in this unique situation?
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2018, 10:48 AM   #2
Emilime75
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2010 335i E92 LeMans Blue

I've read about a few these types of things in the past, but I don't recall many details. What I do remember, is that those affected were able to argue their cases and receive higher amounts of money than market value. In my opinion, you should receive a full refund.

Out of curiosity, what is the recall, and why is there no fix?
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2018, 11:07 AM   #3
Turbmando
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Thanks for the response.

Info:

A small number of zero-series vehicles (very early production vehicles) were sold as used after they were no longer needed for Volkswagen internal use. Volkswagen has discovered that documentation about possible modification(s) made during the internal use period may be incomplete.
Because of this, Volkswagen cannot verify that the vehicles comply with all applicable regulatory requirements. Out of an abundance of caution, Volkswagen has decided to recall these vehicles.
If the vehicles do not meet all regulatory requirements, there could be an increased risk of a crash, fire, or injury.
Vehicles affected by this recall cannot be repaired. Because of this, Volkswagen is only offering a repurchase (buy back) program for this recall. Volkswagen will work with affected owners to complete the vehicle repurchase process as quickly as possible, FREE of charge.
Time is of the essence.
• From now until March 31, 2019, vehicle values will be calculated and paid based upon the NADA Clean-Trade Value in the USA / Canadian Black Book Value in Canada.
• After March 31, 2019, vehicle values will be calculated and paid based upon the vehicle’s current market value minus any daily depreciation due to vehicle mileage, age and condition.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2018, 11:29 AM   #4
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 Msport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbmando View Post
Thanks for the response.

Info:

A small number of zero-series vehicles (very early production vehicles) were sold as used after they were no longer needed for Volkswagen internal use. Volkswagen has discovered that documentation about possible modification(s) made during the internal use period may be incomplete.
Because of this, Volkswagen cannot verify that the vehicles comply with all applicable regulatory requirements. Out of an abundance of caution, Volkswagen has decided to recall these vehicles.
If the vehicles do not meet all regulatory requirements, there could be an increased risk of a crash, fire, or injury.
Vehicles affected by this recall cannot be repaired. Because of this, Volkswagen is only offering a repurchase (buy back) program for this recall. Volkswagen will work with affected owners to complete the vehicle repurchase process as quickly as possible, FREE of charge.
Time is of the essence.
• From now until March 31, 2019, vehicle values will be calculated and paid based upon the NADA Clean-Trade Value in the USA / Canadian Black Book Value in Canada.
• After March 31, 2019, vehicle values will be calculated and paid based upon the vehicle’s current market value minus any daily depreciation due to vehicle mileage, age and condition.
Hmmm, sounds fishy. Sounds like VW trying to cover their butts. You don’t have to sell it, do you? Of course possible fire is a good incentive, I supppose.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2018, 11:31 AM   #5
elias
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M4

I hope you get get more for your car but seeing the situation your in I highly
doubt if anyone else would want to buy your car at market value if at all.
It might be wise to take take their offer and move on.
Appreciate 2
Kyngofpop676.00
DETRoadster11446.00
      12-02-2018, 11:39 AM   #6
PshhhhhMW
Major
Rep
Drives: 2021 Alpine White M550i

This is absolute garbage! At market value?? If your Tiguan had gone up in flames because of their issues, you would be getting more from a class action. They're basically absolving themselves from any liability while screwing you over with this. I hope it works out for you OP.
Appreciate 2
Mingwan1891.00
      12-02-2018, 11:41 AM   #7
gooselee
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M550i

Would a possible solution be to ask VW to provide you with a replacement from pre-owned stock of the same model/year/condition/approx mileage, but which is not subject to the recall? And send it through their CPO process and provide a full warranty for the next 4 years (based on how long you wanted to keep the original).

That would be pricey for them, but the cost of locating, inspecting, and warranty-ing the replacement is probably on par with the payout you would otherwise be arguing for, with the bonus for them that you'll continue driving a VW for a while.
Appreciate 1
wdb4641.50
      12-02-2018, 11:58 AM   #8
TedA
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 E92 M3 ZCP Mineral White

Quote:
Due to a recall with no fix. Car will be bought back at NADA market value.

This is a big inconvenience to my family since the car has been payed off for years and we planned to keep it for at least 4 more years. We don’t want to buy a car of equivalent price, we would upgrade.

Any advice on getting more than what it’s worth? Do I have certain rights in this unique situation?
How do we know which vehicles are impacted? My wife’s car is a 2011 Tiguan that we purchased new. It only has 50000 miles, so needless to say we would be in the same dilemma as you if the car was impacted.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2018, 12:45 PM   #9
Turbmando
Second Lieutenant
Rep

We received notification in the mail this summer.

Nhtsa link:
https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/rcl/201...8V329-0469.pdf

You can also look up vehicle vins on nhtsa’s website
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2018, 01:04 PM   #10
a4nut
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 13 135is

Do you have to sell it back?
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2018, 01:43 PM   #11
dgoldenz
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Vanquish, FF, 392 Wrangler

lol @ them offering trade in value for their own screwup, not even clean retail value. Brutal
Appreciate 2
wdb4641.50
      12-02-2018, 02:53 PM   #12
Dr. Dre
the doctor
United_States
Rep
Drives: E46 M3 Alpine White

Quote:
Originally Posted by PshhhhhMW View Post
This is absolute garbage! At market value?? If your Tiguan had gone up in flames because of their issues, you would be getting more from a class action. They're basically absolving themselves from any liability while screwing you over with this. I hope it works out for you OP.
If they got use out of the car why should VW have to reimburse them the full amount of the car. It's not as if they didn't get any use out of the car.

When vehicles are repurchased the manufacturer has the discretion to refund the full purchase price or to take into consideration that they did get use out of the vehicle.

They have to sell it at auction. The car will be branded. They are not going to get

Last edited by Dr. Dre; 12-02-2018 at 03:17 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2018, 03:09 PM   #13
PshhhhhMW
Major
Rep
Drives: 2021 Alpine White M550i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Dre View Post
If they got use out of the car why should VW have to reimburse them the full amount of the car. It's not as if they didn't get any use out of the car.

When vehicles are repurchased the manufacturer has the discretion to refund the full purchase price or to take into consideration that they did get use out of the vehicle.
Dude flip it around, what if they dont want to start over on payments? I'd at least get all my payments back.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2018, 03:26 PM   #14
NickyC
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: M4 CS. Former G82, x2 F82, F80

What a terrible deal, especially since it's all paid off. Best of luck OP.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2018, 03:45 PM   #15
TedA
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 E92 M3 ZCP Mineral White

Quote:
Thanks for the response.

Info:

A small number of zero-series vehicles (very early production vehicles) were sold as used after they were no longer needed for Volkswagen internal use. (READ VW TESTED SOFTWARE SIMILAR TO THE DIESELGATE TO SEE IF IT CAN BE DISCOVERED). Volkswagen has discovered that documentation about possible modification(s) made during the internal use period may be incomplete. (READ,OH SHIT, WE FORGOT TO REMOVE THE SOFTWARE).
Because of this, Volkswagen cannot verify that the vehicles comply with all applicable regulatory requirements. (READ: AINT NO WAY IN HELL THIS CAR IS PASSING EPA STANDARDS). Out of an abundance of caution, Volkswagen has decided to recall ... (READ: CRAP, I HOPE WE DONT GET CAUGHT WITH OUR PANTS DOWN AGAN)
Vehicles affected by this recall cannot be repaired. (READ: AT LEAST NOT WITHOUT ERRASING ALL PROOF). Because of this, Volkswagen is only offering a repurchase (buy back) program for this recall. Volkswagen will work with affected owners to complete the vehicle repurchase process as quickly as possible, FREE of charge.
Time is of the essence. (READ: WE ARE STILL PAYING BACK THE $20B FROM THE LAST SCANDAL).
VW has been a disappointment for the last several years and it is unlikely that we will ever purchase another one. My capitalized editorial comments aside, I wonder if there is a way to test independently if this is similar to the diesel gate saga.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2018, 07:34 PM   #16
overlook637
Lieutenant
Rep

Completes BS that they only want to offer you trade-in value. Leaving you to then pay retail, taxes, tag, title, and the bogus dealership doc fee. Leaving you in the hole at least $1500

I would search to see if there is a class action lawsuit.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2018, 07:39 PM   #17
overlook637
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Volkswagen will work with affected owners to complete the vehicle repurchase process as quickly as possible, FREE of charge.
Time is of the essence.
• From now until March 31, 2019, vehicle values will be calculated and paid based upon the NADA Clean-Trade Value .
So will a VW dealership not charge you retail price if you want a used car on the lot? Will the VW dealership charge you doc fees?

I would not change the oil or do any maintenance for the next 4 months.

Visit the local dealer to ask how VW and the dealer will work with you. Are you still near your original purchasing dealership?
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2018, 08:02 PM   #18
Emilime75
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2010 335i E92 LeMans Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by overlook637 View Post

I would not change the oil or do any maintenance for the next 4 months.
What will that accomplish? I think an oil change in the next few months is the least of his worries.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2018, 08:02 PM   #19
m3jala
Captain
Rep
Drives: Jet Black 2013 BMW M3

Forgive me for being ignorant, but what exactly is wrong with the car? If it works, is there a reason you wouldn't just ignore all the corporate knee jerk reaction and keep it the 4 years you were originally planning? It's not like these aren't quality vehicles that drive well. You won't be able to pass inspection or future serviceability is an issue?
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2018, 08:17 PM   #20
overcoil
Major General
Rep
Drives: M235i 6spd

Quote:
Originally Posted by m3jala View Post
Forgive me for being ignorant, but what exactly is wrong with the car? If it works, is there a reason you wouldn't just ignore all the corporate knee jerk reaction and keep it the 4 years you were originally planning? It's not like these aren't quality vehicles that drive well. You won't be able to pass inspection or future serviceability is an issue?
I’m guessing epa dot won’t allow car on the road
Appreciate 1
m3jala543.50
      12-02-2018, 11:13 PM   #21
P1
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2004 3/4 ton Duramax

Quite the inconvenience. What happens if you refuse to sell it back to VW? Is your vehicle no longer deemed roadworthy? Is there a way you can haggle on the price? Would you be interested in another VW? Maybe the value is worth more if it's swapped for a similar, but new, model?
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2018, 11:44 PM   #22
skeeedunt
Private
Rep
Drives: 2016 M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottSinger View Post
I’m guessing epa dot won’t allow car on the road
I’d imagine there would be additional complications down the road if he ever wanted to sell it as well. I wouldn’t want to be holding the title on a “recalled” car.

Sucks OP. They can’t possibly want more bad press after dieselgate, go down there and ream them on it. You could have been incinerated at any moment! And your family! That’s gotta be worth a few bucks. Best case, this is a legitimate hassle for you, make them make it right.
Appreciate 0