XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos

12-03-2018, 03:47 PM   #23
raysspl
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: walking, bicycle, & bus

As an engineer & product designer, not surprising
      12-03-2018, 04:46 PM   #24
Z K
Major General
Rep
Drives: E90 M3, G20 M340i

In China where there's cameras, face tracking and social media monitoring your every move... not surprising.
      12-03-2018, 07:10 PM   #25
Dog Face Pony Soldier
2006 TIME Person Of The Year
United_States
Rep
Drives: M Sport 335i

Garage List
2014 335i  [9.74]
Was anyone under the impression that the Chinese government was honorable and just? That's why I cringe at the news of vehicle manufacturers getting into bed with them... yet people cheer. 🤷🏻*♂️
      12-03-2018, 08:53 PM   #26
john_luvbimmer
Private First Class
China
Rep
Drives: 520i (F10)

Garage List
2014 BMW 520i  [9.00]
"Welcome to the real world"

Most of contemporary governments collecting information from almost every aspect of the society by all kinds of means to benefit the public interest on the cost of sacrificing some of citizen privacy with or without consent. As a single citizen, you have the right to protect your very privacy by isolating yourself from connections to the society. But If you want to enjoy the conveniences and modern civilizations, you've got to accept those trade offs.
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2018, 09:27 PM   #27
cwulffy
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedScytheM3 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveinArizona View Post
I actually believe the Chinese government on this one. If they were doing it to track the cars for malevolent purposes, why would they limit it to BEVs? It sounds like the government is trying to get information on usage to plan for future auto requirements.
It would be one thing if China actually cared about the rights of its citizens and wasn't run by an authoritarian administration. There's other ways to gather information for auto requirement planning that don't require round the clock monitoring of your location and speed.
Agreed.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2018, 08:42 AM   #28
evanevery
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: iXM60, i8 Rdstr, M4, i7 M70

I'm not a conspiracy theorist, but lets be honest, its not just the "evil" Chinese government...

If you make international phone calls from the US, every conversation is recorded. If you send international email from the US, every message is recorded. Everything you post to Social Media is being data mined. ...and that was going on long BEFORE the so called "Patriot Act" basically opened the floodgates on domestic surveillance...

Personally, its not a big deal for me (other than philosophically). But, you should not be under any illusion about the privacy you think you have from your very own "altruistic" government.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2018, 08:54 AM   #29
evanevery
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: iXM60, i8 Rdstr, M4, i7 M70

Quote:
It would be one thing if China actually cared about the rights of its citizens and wasn't run by an authoritarian administration...
Authoritarian administration?

You mean like an administration that uses the bully pulpit to slander its opponents, lies to its constituents on a daily basis, manipulates government entities for personal benefit, creates executive legislation to benefit its members/lobbyists/donors, separates children from their parents and imprisons them, deploys the military domestically to enforce its own vision, and pardons its criminal allies?

Yeah, no surprise there...
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2018, 11:55 AM   #30
RedScytheM3
Science stuff and stuff
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 ///M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by evanevery View Post
Quote:
It would be one thing if China actually cared about the rights of its citizens and wasn't run by an authoritarian administration...
Authoritarian administration?

You mean like an administration that uses the bully pulpit to slander its opponents, lies to its constituents on a daily basis, manipulates government entities for personal benefit, creates executive legislation to benefit its members/lobbyists/donors, separates children from their parents and imprisons them, deploys the military domestically to enforce its own vision, and pardons its criminal allies?

Yeah, no surprise there...
Honestly you're deflective and aggressive argument style is highly entertaining. It's clear you have a massive hard on for this topic and you're going to smack everyone that jumps in with it. Tell me more about why the world is wrong please?
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2018, 11:58 AM   #31
SteveinArizona
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 530e

Guys...there is an offtopic place for this. lets keep this forum limited to cars.
Appreciate 1
IK6SPEED4478.50
      12-07-2018, 10:31 AM   #32
Big boi m5
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveinArizona View Post
I actually believe the Chinese government on this one. If they were doing it to track the cars for malevolent purposes, why would they limit it to BEVs? It sounds like the government is trying to get information on usage to plan for future auto requirements.
It's a great idea for that standpoint. Also, could catch criminals. The problem is, whom China defines as criminal
Appreciate 1
      12-07-2018, 10:47 AM   #33
Captain Blood
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: Audi S3....don't judge me

Garage List
2016 Audi S3  [9.50]
2012 135  [6.83]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z K View Post
In China where there's cameras, face tracking and social media monitoring your every move... not surprising.
The chinese government is going for full on "Animal Farm" and a society monitored like "Minority Report". Is "1984" far behind?
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2018, 04:46 PM   #34
NickyC
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: M4 CS. Former G82, x2 F82, F80

Nightmare ass country.

Honestly though, if you always keep your smart phone on your hip it's basically the same thing.
Appreciate 0