XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

12-09-2018, 07:02 PM   #45
9vapors
Major
Rep
Drives: CB X5M

Glad you found a couple leaks, that will help with other issues and getting it running perfect in the long run... (not glad you found them, but you know what I mean...)

When you do the vacuum lines, can you take some pics of which T goes to the rear exhaust valves? I want to delete those in the engine bay as well instead of back by the exhaust.
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2018, 08:05 AM   #46
jandref321
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2012 X5M

I went out for dinner with some friends last night and on the way home I popped 2 codes...one was going up hill with zero boost, very weird. The other was when I slammed on the gas on the highway. I finally got INPA installed and pulled the picture below. Compared to the Carly code the INPA seems to indicate that the issue is bank 2 and not bank 1. Am I reading that correctly? Also, shows that the intake manifold pressure was over 17PSI which I never got up to on the JB4 app reading boost. Maybe that is including ambient pressure? Not sure what else to take away from this. Here are the INPA and Carly Codes:

*** 310B:Boost pressure control 2, plausibility ***
Fault-Set 1 - ( 125472 km)

ambient pressure: 795.00 hPa
ambient temperature: 5.25 °C
number of revolutions: 2176.00 rpm
Pressure upstream from throttle Bank 1 (Turbo): 111.00 kPa

Fault-Set 2 - ( 125504 km)

ambient pressure: 815.00 hPa
ambient temperature: 6.00 °C
number of revolutions: 4096.00 rpm
Pressure upstream from throttle Bank 1 (Turbo): 146.00 kPa

2020 G01 X3 30e CURRENT M Sport Package
2019 Ford Raptor SuperCrew CURRENT 802A, KN Drop-in, RB Flaps, Husky Well Liners
2012 E70 X5M SOLD Stg 1+ Turbos, DPs, Velos Stg 2+, JB4, Race Cats, Bavauto Coils
2003 E46 M3 SOLD aFe CAI, AP Axleback, SSK, H&R Springs, TMS CMBR Arms, PF RTABs
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2018, 08:08 AM   #47
jandref321
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9vapors View Post
Glad you found a couple leaks, that will help with other issues and getting it running perfect in the long run... (not glad you found them, but you know what I mean...)

When you do the vacuum lines, can you take some pics of which T goes to the rear exhaust valves? I want to delete those in the engine bay as well instead of back by the exhaust.
Here are the pics with it connected and with it disconnected:

2019 Ford Raptor SuperCrew CURRENT 802A, KN Drop-in, RB Flaps, Husky Well Liners
2012 E70 X5M SOLD Stg 1+ Turbos, DPs, Velos Stg 2+, JB4, Race Cats, Bavauto Coils
2003 E46 M3 SOLD aFe CAI, AP Axleback, SSK, H&R Springs, TMS CMBR Arms, PF RTABs
Appreciate 1
ncbimma100.00
      12-10-2018, 08:11 AM   #48
jandref321
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jandref321 View Post
I went out for dinner with some friends last night and on the way home I popped 2 codes...one was going up hill with zero boost, very weird. The other was when I slammed on the gas on the highway. I finally got INPA installed and pulled the picture below. Compared to the Carly code the INPA seems to indicate that the issue is bank 2 and not bank 1. Am I reading that correctly? Also, shows that the intake manifold pressure was over 17PSI which I never got up to on the JB4 app reading boost. Maybe that is including ambient pressure? Not sure what else to take away from this. Here are the INPA and Carly Codes:

Looks like I only got the freeze frame from the first code with zero boost going up hill slowly and not the highway run. I already deleted the codes

Appreciate 0
      12-10-2018, 10:02 AM   #49
9vapors
Major
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

[img]https://farm2.staticflickr.com/1928/...4f5ff487_b.jpg[/img]

Looks like I only got the freeze frame from the first code with zero boost going up hill slowly and not the highway run. I already deleted the codes
I can't remember, you scoped the wastegate valves right? Google-fu tells me a couple different possibilities, from the vacuum lines to the canisters to typical vent hose issues... I hate how these engines work with the slightest ass hair out of line, they throw all sorts of codes. I'm about to go through and put zip ties on all of my hoses connected to those stupid canisters. I had one fall off in the back on the right side facing the engine and got the same myriad of codes.

Also, did you ever remove the shims from the DV+? Did you try swapping them back to stock?
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2018, 10:27 PM   #50
serge1
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 35d

Garage List
2011 BMW X5 35d  [0.00]
jandref321 , I don't think you are pressurizing at the right place, and this getting mislead by crankcase ventilation..

Look at this diagram:

By applying pressure *before* crancase breather, you are pushing a lot of air into crank case. The breather hose that you are reporting as leaking is not meant to hold pressure - in fact opposite. Its function is to suck crankcase gasses when vaccum gets created by turbo compressor sucking both fresh air and some crankcase gasses.

So, the proper way to pressure test the system is to seal off the very turbo entrance and route air through it.

However, that is difficult to do because of the form the turbo is. There's now way to have a clamp go over the compressor entrance like in "normal" turbos.

So, you have to come up with a contraption to introduce pressurized air right into compressor for a proper test.
Appreciate 1
      12-11-2018, 10:42 PM   #51
serge1
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW X5 35d  [0.00]
My X5 diesel has same dilemma with turbo entrance design.
To troubleshoot my boost leak, I made this contraption. Took a couple weeks of trial and error, but got it done in the end.

Works like a charm.

Ruptured boost hose showed itself within 10 seconds after pumping.

Then, was pumping at 40psi into turbo and seeing 25psi before intake manifold (after throttle body). The 15 PSI was getting lost through turbo seals. Normal or not - I was not able to find out. But, 25psi into intake manifold is probably enough.

The contraption: Since there's no boost pressure kit existing for these kind of turbo housings, I was thinking to gauge interest to make a few of these kits.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      12-12-2018, 06:25 AM   #52
jandref321
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by serge1 View Post
jandref321 , I don't think you are pressurizing at the right place, and this getting mislead by crankcase ventilation..

Look at this diagram:

By applying pressure *before* crancase breather, you are pushing a lot of air into crank case. The breather hose that you are reporting as leaking is not meant to hold pressure - in fact opposite. Its function is to suck crankcase gasses when vaccum gets created by turbo compressor sucking both fresh air and some crankcase gasses.

So, the proper way to pressure test the system is to seal off the very turbo entrance and route air through it.

However, that is difficult to do because of the form the turbo is. There's now way to have a clamp go over the compressor entrance like in "normal" turbos.

So, you have to come up with a contraption to introduce pressurized air right into compressor for a proper test.
Quote:
To troubleshoot my boost leak, I made this contraption. Took a couple weeks of trial and error, but got it done in the end.

Works like a charm.

Then, was pumping at 40psi into turbo and seeing 25psi before intake manifold (after throttle body). The 15 PSI was getting lost through turbo seals. Normal or not - I was not able to find out. But, 25psi into intake manifold is probably enough.

The contraption: Since there's no boost pressure kit existing for these kind of turbo housings, I was thinking to gauge interest to make a few of these kits.
Thanks guys. I was under the impression that the CCV check valve should eliminate or reduce the possibility of air moving back through the vent system...and if not then perhaps a vacuum leak would present itself. I am very unconcerned about the Charge pipes and DVs since they are new. I may just try pressurizing directly at the intercooler...honestly, the only things that haven't been replaced there are the intercooler to throttle body hoses and the intake manifolds. The intake manifolds hook up to the CCV system also though.

Running straight to the turbos like you said would be very difficult especially because it would require about a 60 degree bend in whatever I use. I'll try pulling off the charge pipes and pressurizing at the intercoolers first.

Appreciate 0
      12-12-2018, 01:12 PM   #53
serge1
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW X5 35d  [0.00]
Quote:
The intake manifolds hook up to the CCV system also though.
Not sure what you mean by that. It may look like it, but that cannot be the case, logically. The only pressurized path from a turbo into cylinder is compressor > charge pipe > intercooler > charge pipe > throttle body > intake manifold > cylinder.

Quote:
Running straight to the turbos like you said would be very difficult especially because it would require about a 60 degree bend in whatever I use. I'll try pulling off the charge pipes and pressurizing at the intercoolers first.
Having new components does not mean they are hooked up correctly and not allowing boost leaks. From the photos, it did not look too difficult to access the turbo compressor entrance and hook up a contraption similar to what I made.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2018, 11:38 PM   #54
jandref321
Captain
Rep

I pressure tested from the intercooler inlet. Bank 2 held pressure well, I went up to 18psi. Bank 1 won’t hold pressure at all. It looses everything in a matter of 3-4 seconds. I can hear the leak coming from somewhere between the throttle body and the intake manifold pressure sensor. I tried soapy water and smoke but can’t see where. The obvious ones would be the intercooler to throttle body hose or the throttle body gasket. It could be the sensor oring or the intake manifold gasket also. I visually inspected the hose when I removed the intercooler to replace the boost solenoid, but could have missed damage. I double checked that the clamps are tight there also.
I’m thinking throttle body gasket.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2018, 11:51 PM   #55
Autobacs
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X6M

Garage List
That is progress as far as finding the culprit. Fingers crossed.
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2018, 07:45 AM   #56
9vapors
Major
Rep

Awesome man, throttle body gasket seems like a cheap part, just getting to it sucks. I hope that's it!
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2018, 08:12 AM   #57
jandref321
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Not sure what you mean by that. It may look like it, but that cannot be the case, logically. The only pressurized path from a turbo into cylinder is compressor > charge pipe > intercooler > charge pipe > throttle body > intake manifold > cylinder.
Both the Crankcase Ventilation System and the Fuel Tank Breather Valve Systems are hooked up to the intake manifold. Maybe there are check valves built into the manifold? I'm unsure how this operates.

Quote:
Having new components does not mean they are hooked up correctly and not allowing boost leaks. From the photos, it did not look too difficult to access the turbo compressor entrance and hook up a contraption similar to what I made.
I ended up testing from the intercooler.

Appreciate 0
      12-13-2018, 03:07 PM   #58
philly42
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X5M, Z3M

I feel your pain....pressure testing the S63 system looks like a total nightmare. Pressure testing each charged air component is the way to go. Though you can only do this up to the throttle body. Anything after that will give you false readings because of the intake valves. Never at any point are all intake valves closed. This is the reason why during walnut blasting, it's necessary to trigger the starter to close the valves in the port that's being cleaned.

As for the CCV line connected to the intake manifold, it does have have a check valve for both banks that are on the driver side. You could remove this piece and seal off the necessary ends and pressure test the check valves.
Appreciate 1
      03-14-2019, 12:28 AM   #59
Dawgz
2022 M4 Comp Xdrive
Rep
Drives: 2022 M4 Comp Xdrive

Sooooo what ever happened, did you find the culprit?
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2019, 03:44 PM   #60
jandref321
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgz View Post
Sooooo what ever happened, did you find the culprit?
I have not yet. Took it to another shop, who also turned me away. The truck is down now for what seems to be either alternator or fuel injectors...getting some funny electronics codes and misfires. Will probably have it towed to another shop since I don't have the time to fix it myself right now.

After that gets fixed I'll probably start looking for the boost leak issue by replacing the intake manifold pressure sensors and filtered air ducts again. If that fails I'll start replacing the throttle body gaskets and intake manifold gaskets.

Appreciate 0
      03-14-2019, 04:43 PM   #61
Dawgz
2022 M4 Comp Xdrive
Rep
Drives: 2022 M4 Comp Xdrive

Quote:
I have not yet. Took it to another shop, who also turned me away. The truck is down now for what seems to be either alternator or fuel injectors...getting some funny electronics codes and misfires. Will probably have it towed to another shop since I don't have the time to fix it myself right now.

After that gets fixed I'll probably start looking for the boost leak issue by replacing the intake manifold pressure sensors and filtered air ducts again. If that fails I'll start replacing the throttle body gaskets and intake manifold gaskets.

I saw u replaced the electronic wastegate, the pressure sensors on the intercoolers would have been my next guess.

Did BMW ever get a chance to look at the car or just Indy shops?
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2019, 09:19 PM   #62
Sophisticated Redneck
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW X5 50i

Quote:

Works like a charm.

That's a bloody brilliant design you made there! Going to steal it if I run into boost leak issues
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2019, 09:28 PM   #63
Sophisticated Redneck
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW X5 50i

Quote:

Did you replace the CCV tubes (the check valves are in the main tubes that connect to the valve cover, you can actually see them were the tube from the lower intake manifold connects to the CCV tube from the valve cover. Very weak design. Mine failed and allowed boost to hit the Crank Case! Gave under boost codes and the left to right back variance was huge. It'st a dorky piece of rubber that looks like a pencil tip..
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2019, 10:47 PM   #64
m5james
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '10 X5M Alpine White on Sakhir

Quote:

Works like a charm.

I'd be interested in a parts list and where you bought them if you're not interested in making and shipping kits. I've tried making a smoke machine using a party smoker but between a lack of overall pressure and one-way valves in the plumbing itself, I never saw a leak even when I had one clearly visible on the corrugated line that goes over the turbos.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2019, 09:43 PM   #65
jandref321
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgz View Post
I saw u replaced the electronic wastegate, the pressure sensors on the intercoolers would have been my next guess.

Did BMW ever get a chance to look at the car or just Indy shops?
I haven't...I figured BMW would tell me that they have to replace all the aftermarket parts first before working on the boost leak. They always have to start fixing obviously not stock parts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophisticated Redneck View Post
Did you replace the CCV tubes (the check valves are in the main tubes that connect to the valve cover, you can actually see them were the tube from the lower intake manifold connects to the CCV tube from the valve cover. Very weak design. Mine failed and allowed boost to hit the Crank Case! Gave under boost codes and the left to right back variance was huge. It'st a dorky piece of rubber that looks like a pencil tip..
I replaced all those parts, but then I went to a catch can system. I'm concerned that the catchcan system may have messed up the valve somehow. I removed the catch cans but have silicon hose running to the crank case. I'd like to just replace it all again so it's oem hoses and parts again.

Appreciate 0
      03-16-2019, 10:23 PM   #66
9vapors
Major
Rep

I'm still wanting to do a catch can, but would love to figure it out correctly for the S63. I just bought Maltman's stuff he made. He built a kit in Germany, but it was more for the S63tu, but at least I have the fittings...
Attached Images

Appreciate 0