XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X6 Forums > General BMW X6 and X6M Forum

10-15-2018, 06:08 PM   #1
Bilbofraggins
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2013 X6M, 2019 X3 M40I

X6M Routine Maint

100,000KM Service Day...(actually 96,500). Jobs 1-4 at local Indy Garage with me looking on throughout. Normally, I do all this stuff myself - but decided to cough up for the M.

1. Changed the diff fluids (front, and Rear(all 3 sections) and the XDrive transfer case.

2. Transmission, drain and fill (ZF Kit: filter, drain/fill plugs, magnets, gasket and new pan bolts). Everything in great shape, no metal filings. Fluid looked unchanged. Nothing in filter. Used just under 5 Quarts of ZF Lifeguard6. Original gasket is thick metal with a rubber lining. The ZF replacement is the paper type. I used the replacement but kept the original. New pan bolts are a must.

3. Coolant flush and fill (looked as new), replaced with HEPU OEM Coolant.

4. BMW OEM Spark plugs (although recommended at 50,000km...they were in great shape, probably stretching this interval) .

Engine Air filters (two years since last change - old filters could have been blown off, as they weren't bad and reused. Did this myself as I forgot to take them.

I do my oil at 10,000km intervals using 5w30 ACEA A3/B3 (BMW LL04 Equiv).

ZF recommend this tranny is serviced at 80 to 120,000KM or 8 years latest.
Attached Images

Last edited by Bilbofraggins; 11-02-2018 at 04:59 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2018, 12:41 PM   #2
do_0b
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2010 X6 M

Garage List
2010 BMW X6M  [0.00]
how much did that all cost?
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2018, 10:03 PM   #3
Bilbofraggins
Captain
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by do_0b View Post
how much did that all cost?
500 Canadian Labour
750 Parts

The OEM plugs were a gift from an XBimmer Member in Montreal.
And I already had the air/cabin filters.

I used ZF/Ravenol/Fuchs fluids.

Next time I’ll do it all myself. I don’t track the vehicle.
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2018, 02:50 PM   #4
DreadX6M
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2012 X6M

Affordable Routine Maintenance??

Hi,

I'm new to this forum, and new to BMW ownership. I fell in love with my X6M, and realize that maintenance will probably be a little different than my Jeep Grand Cherokee. Ha.

That said, the dealership's quotes are astoundingly high, and when I price things like brake pads that I can do elsewhere, again I can save around 50% of the cost. . .on some things. Here is a short list of questions I'd love answers to if anyone would care to share:

1--Can I safely have brakes done elsewhere, if they know how to install the sensor and use BMW approved pads (ceramic)? ($400 front and rear instead of $1000 at dealership)

2--How complex is it to change a battery? Dealership quoted me $400+???. Also, how do I know when to change? My computer is telling me "Increased Battery Discharge" if my car sits for a couple days without driving. Then it's fine, no problem starting right up. Cold weather coming though. . .

3--Dealership quotes me to have repairs done when I still have time. . .how do I know how long I can wait (Car is at 55k miles)? (Spark plugs $700, microfilter $170, front sway-bar links $350, intake silencer $170)

End of the day, I love this car, it's the most fun I've ever had in an SUV, but I'd like to figure out a way to still be "smart" about the maintenance. Right now, it feels like the dealership just expects people who own these vehicles to fork out the $$$ without question because. . .they can afford to? Affording it is one thing, being smart about it is another.

Thanks in advance to anyone who can share helpful advice/insight!!
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2018, 03:34 PM   #5
do_0b
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2010 X6 M

Garage List
2010 BMW X6M  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by DreadX6M View Post
Hi,

I'm new to this forum, and new to BMW ownership. I fell in love with my X6M, and realize that maintenance will probably be a little different than my Jeep Grand Cherokee. Ha.

That said, the dealership's quotes are astoundingly high, and when I price things like brake pads that I can do elsewhere, again I can save around 50% of the cost. . .on some things. Here is a short list of questions I'd love answers to if anyone would care to share:

1--Can I safely have brakes done elsewhere, if they know how to install the sensor and use BMW approved pads (ceramic)? ($400 front and rear instead of $1000 at dealership)

2--How complex is it to change a battery? Dealership quoted me $400+???. Also, how do I know when to change? My computer is telling me "Increased Battery Discharge" if my car sits for a couple days without driving. Then it's fine, no problem starting right up. Cold weather coming though. . .

3--Dealership quotes me to have repairs done when I still have time. . .how do I know how long I can wait (Car is at 55k miles)? (Spark plugs $700, microfilter $170, front sway-bar links $350, intake silencer $170)

End of the day, I love this car, it's the most fun I've ever had in an SUV, but I'd like to figure out a way to still be "smart" about the maintenance. Right now, it feels like the dealership just expects people who own these vehicles to fork out the $$$ without question because. . .they can afford to? Affording it is one thing, being smart about it is another.

1. Good to a BMW indy shop if there is one around your area. Most people that have these trucks either DIY or bring it to independent shop rather than going to "stealerships"

2. As for changing battery i cannot answer because i had my indy shop do it for me for about $360 installed with OEM battery. If you see the message "increased battery discharge" theres a high chance the battery is no longer holding a charge, or your alternator is failing to charge the battery.

3. Joining this forum, a lot of these guys will be able to let you know when you should change certain parts, just use the search function, theres numerous threads on here that answers that question. Sorry i cannot answer much as I am a new X6M owner as well.
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2018, 05:10 PM   #6
Bilbofraggins
Captain
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreadX6M View Post
Hi,

Firstly welcome to the X6/X6M part of the forum. I have personally picked up a fair bit of info on this site...Following on from what do_0b said....Once our vehicles are off the free maint/warranty I do my own main't and as necessary like many use a very good indy shop...but not that often. I take my vehicles to the dealer yearly for the 55 point inspection (60 bucks) even while under warranty. I have owned BMW's for many years...but my 2013 X6M is my first M. I have had it four years...off warranty next month. Free maint in Canada is first 4 years...

The E71 X6M is very easy to do routine cyclical maint on. Lots of you tube videos out there if you are inclined to do things yourself.

Realoem.com is a great website to get to know your specific vehicle.

Air filters 15 mins max...under hood cabin filters...same time.
Under dash pollen filter....will be doing the M as soon as my filter shows up (see link below $10 Canadian with shipping for a charcoal type).

I buy parts online...such as Rock Auto and E-Europarts (as these have the best rates to ship to Canada)...you are really lucky State Side as you have so much choice and free shipping. Rock Auto is always having manufacturers clear-outs...and I picked up great front pads for 10 bucks...and 20 for the rear...(go figure)...I have brake hoses and other parts on hand...not because I need them but because they are a part that will be needed if I hang onto the vehicle and were super cheap.

I purchase filters on sale...and keep them on hand.

Brakes..you won't find easier brakes to work on than your Brembos...and and I can do front and back in a couple hours max...cleaning as I go. Recommend buying your stuff and taking to an Indy if you don't do them yourself. You are likely on your original rotors...and as you will find out they are big and heavy. The BMW discard thickness is nuts..BMW said I should replace mine...and there is more more rotor left than my X3 had when new. I do not track the vehicle. at about 85,000Km I changed my pads and they are playing well 10,000km later...my cost less than 50 bucks.

There are actually quite a few makers of rotors for our vehicle....with a slight problem...they are all in Europe...I have a set of brakes and rotors ready to go...but if I didn't...I would probably try these (one of the few NA sellers without paying stupid prices).

https://www.brakenetic.com/product-c...33-product_cat

Rock Auto still have Friction Master (FM's top of the line pads...for 9.96 (front)) https://www.frictionmaster.com/catal...catalog-search

And have an Indy install, the sensors...one front one rear only need to be changed if worn and activated. cost 15 bucks or so each. Again easy for you or a tech to do.

Cabin filter... https://www.aliexpress.com/item/cabi...702923484.html

Spark Plugs...here they cost 30 bucks each from the dealership (Bosch) I think they are less than 10 from Rock Auto etc...but they won't have the ///M marking...so what. I just had the Indy do mine...they are due every 30,000 miles...he charged $89 Canadian +tax. BOSCH ZR5TPP33, less than 6 bucks today.

The sway bar links etc...jobs like that I would also take to an Indy if needed....mine were done under warranty...a while back.

Battery...last year I was plagued by the same battery discharge as you...almost pulled the trigger on a new battery...but borrowed my friends charger...with a more robust maint cycle and hey presto...good as new...I bought the same charger...and will hook it up shortly just because. Its an AGM battery so your charger should be AGM friendly.

Those are my thoughts, hope they help...Good luck with the vehicle...I'm loving mine...Yours aye, BF

Last edited by Bilbofraggins; 11-02-2018 at 05:01 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2018, 04:22 PM   #7
DreadX6M
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2012 X6M

Great Info - Thank you!

Lots of great info here Bilbofraggins , THANK YOU for taking the time! It's taken me awhile to sort through all this, but definitely some great leads, much appreciate the help.

I used to do more of my own stuff, but time is tight nowadays with my baby boy, I may need to just source the parts and find a good Indy shop for labor. I still have 3-4mm on my brakes, and I don't brake hard so hoping for another 5-7000 miles. The battery will likely be costly, the way they have to do it on these vehicles. I don't have a charger option, not something I'm willing to deal with on a daily basis.

I still need to do some research on spark plugs and filters, but otherwise really good info. I'll reach out and post again as needed.

Thanks again, AG
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2018, 03:33 AM   #8
Mightymaus
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: Graphite/Black leather X4 M40i

Garage List
2012 X6 M  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilbofraggins View Post
100,000KM Service Day...(actually 96,500). Jobs 1-4 at local Indy Garage with me looking on throughout. Normally, I do all this stuff myself - but decided to cough up for the M.

1. Changed the diff fluids (front, and Rear(all 3 sections) and the XDrive transfer case.

2. Transmission, drain and fill (ZF Kit: filter, drain/fill plugs, magnets, gasket and new pan bolts). Everything in great shape, no metal filings. Fluid looked unchanged. Nothing in filter. Used just under 5 Quarts of ZF Lifeguard6. Original gasket is thick metal with a rubber lining. The ZF replacement is the paper type. I used the replacement but kept the original. New pan bolts are a must.

3. Coolant flush and fill (looked as new), replaced with HEPU OEM Coolant.

4. BMW OEM Spark plugs (although recommended at 50,000km...they were in great shape, probably stretching this interval) .

Engine Air filters (two years since last change - old filters could have been blown off, as they weren't bad and reused. Did this myself as I forgot to take them.

I do my oil at 10,000km intervals using 5w30 ACEA A3/B3 (BMW LL04 Equiv).

ZF recommend this tranny is serviced at 80 to 120,000KM or 8 years latest.
NEVER use compressed air to blow out your air filters. You could blow a hole in it and you wouldn't even know it.
I recommend you to immediately change your filters since you've already have blown them out.
In the future, unless you're going to change your air filters do not remove them. Whenever you remove your air filter, little particles of debris that are around the edge of your filter fall into your intake system. fortunately Motors are extremely sensitive to that except for diesels but the air filter is there to prevent any debris from getting into your intake system.
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2018, 10:56 PM   #9
Bilbofraggins
Captain
Canada
Rep

I did replace them....and I meticulously clean the intake area....My version of blow off though... is what my own tired lungs can put out...Points worth noting though... Thanks.
Appreciate 0