XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

09-07-2018, 07:14 PM   #1
jandref321
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2012 X5M

E70 X5M Guibo Flex Disc DIY

Gents,

I was milling around under the truck when I noticed a few chunks taken out of my flex disc on the transfer case side. I went ahead and ordered the Febi part and went about the install. Like usual I didn’t intend to make a DIY so I didn't take too many pictures but may go back eventually and add some “posed” photos for better explanation.

Notes: You must remove the exhaust and it is a pain to realign the pipes with the downpipes when putting it all back together. I ended up having to pull the downpipes out, install the exhaust, then reinstall the downpipes. Raising the exhaust back is really a two person job…I messed around with it for an hour then got the wife to help. The manual transmission neutral release for the 2007-2009 trucks are under the cup holder; the release for 2010-2013 is under the vehicle on driver’s side of tranny. Using the manual parking brake over ride caused a code that I had to clear using a scanner. I ordered new bolts and nuts for the drive shaft/t-case connection, but the replacement bolts were too long and would have prevented me from reinstalling the drive shaft. I reused the old bolts and used the new nuts.

DIY: E70 X5M GUIBO FLEX DISC REPLACEMENT

NOTE: I RECOMMEND THAT ALL MAINTENANCE IS COMPLETED BY A CERTIFIED MECHANIC;This DIY is merely a record of what I did to complete this vehicle maintenance; I DO NOT RECOMMEND COMPLETING THIS YOURSELF.

PARTS:

1 x Flex Disc (Guibo)
6 x Drive Shaft-Guibo-Tcase nuts
2 x Exhaust Gasket (Front pipes-Downpipes)

TOOLS:

1/4” Drive Ratchet
1/4” Drive Extension
3/8” Drive Ratchet
3/8” Drive Extensions
3/8” Drive Torque Wrench
16mm Socket
13mm Socket
11mm Deep Socket
10mm Socket
10mm Deep Socket
8mm Socket
Flat Head Screw Driver
8mm Allen Wrench
2 x Hydraulic Jacks

STEP 1: Safely lift vehicle and place on Jack Stands

Note: This thread describes how to lift vehicle (at the bottom): https://www.xbimmers.com/forums/show....php?t=1429596

STEP 2: Remove Undercarriage Covers

a) Remove 2 mid-vehicle Plastic Undercarriage covers using 10mm socket, 8mm socket, and flat head screwdriver.

b) Remove 2 rear-vehicle plastic undercarriage covers using 10mm socket, 8mm socket, and flat head screwdriver.

c) Remove aluminum air diffuser using 8mm socket (3 screws)

d) Remove Front Subframe Bracing Plate using 16mm socket (6 bolts) [You may have to loosen three phillips head screws on the front plastic undercarriage cover to pull this out]

STEP 3: Remove Exhaust

Note: I referenced this: http://www.hotcarparts.de/bilder/Akrapovic/EBA/X5M.pdf

a) Loosen and remove nuts securing front pipes to downpipes using 11mm deep socket (2 nuts each pipe – 4 total)

b) Loosen and remove bolts securing front pipes to transmission and transfer case using 13mm socket (2 bolts per bracket – 4 total)

c) Support front pipes with jack and section of 2 x 4

d) Lubricate and disconnect rubber brackets from mid pipes (1 per pipe – 2 total)

e) Support Muffler with a second Jack and bit of wood

f) Pull vacuum lines off exhaust valves (1 each set of pipes – 2 total)

g) Loosen and remove nuts securing muffler brackets to vehicle chassis using 11mm Deep Socket (2 nuts each side of muffler – 4 total)

h) Lower Muffler to the ground and place cardboard underneath it

i) Lower front jack and slide exhaust to the rear and down

STEP 4: Remove Heat Shielding

a) Remove the 2 heat insulation sections covering the drive shaft using 8mm and 10mm sockets.

STEP 5: Replace Guibo Flex Disc

Note: I used this for reference: https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/e...-shaft/GP8D5tj

a) Put vehicle transmission into neutral using Allen key

b) Turn off parking brake electronically if possible (May have to start vehicle) or manually using pull wire in driver’s side cargo compartment area, next to rear tail light.

c) Unbolt Drive Shaft from transfer case using 18mm socket and 18mm wrench (6 bolts total)

d) Slide drive shaft straight to the rear and off the transfer case, remove flex disc paying attention to orientation.

e) Put on new flex disc with same orientation and put the drive shaft back onto the transfer case

f) Ensure that the flex disc arrows point to mounting points

g) Replace bolts and nuts securing the drive shaft to the transfer case and torque to 40ft lbs and then a 90-degree rotation (6 total)

STEP 6: Reinstall Heat Shield

a) Reinstall two heat insulating sections using 8mm and 10mm sockets

STEP 7: Reinstall Exhaust

Note: I referenced this: http://www.hotcarparts.de/bilder/Akrapovic/EBA/X5M.pdf

a) Align the exhaust under the vehicle and to the rear of the front pipe path

b) Manually lift the front pipe section into it’s travel path and let rest on subframe

c) Lift Muffler and push exhaust forward, pivoting on the front subframe; hold in place

d) Slide jack and bit of wood under the muffler and jack up while holding in place

e) Align muffler brackets with bolts on chassis and lift all the way up

f) finger tighten nuts securing muffler to chassis

g) Reattach the rubber brackets to the mid pipes

h) Align front pipes with bolts on downpipes and manually raise until the bolts fit through front pipe flange (It is recommended to replace the gasket between the downpipes and the front pipes)

i) Finger tighten nuts on bolts securing front pipes to down pipes

j) Reattach the brackets securing the front pipes to the transmission and transfer case using 13mm socket and torque to 16 ft lbs (2 bolts per bracket – 4 total)

k) Torque nuts securing muffler brackets to chassis to 16 ft lbs

l) Torque nuts securing front pipes to down pipes to 16 ft lbs

STEP 8: Reinstall Undercarriage Covers

a) Replace 2 rear-vehicle plastic undercarriage covers using 10mm socket and 8mm socket.

b) Replace 2 mid-vehicle Plastic Undercarriage covers using 10mm socket and 8mm socket.

c) Replace aluminum air diffuser using 8mm socket (3 screws)

d) Replace Front Subframe Bracing Plate using 16mm socket (6 bolts)

STEP 9: Lower vehicle and take out of Neutral

a) Start vehicle and press park

b) Engage the parking brake

c) Safely Lower Vehicle

2020 G01 X3 30e CURRENT M Sport Package
2019 Ford Raptor SuperCrew CURRENT 802A, KN Drop-in, RB Flaps, Husky Well Liners
2012 E70 X5M SOLD Stg 1+ Turbos, DPs, Velos Stg 2+, JB4, Race Cats, Bavauto Coils
2003 E46 M3 SOLD aFe CAI, AP Axleback, SSK, H&R Springs, TMS CMBR Arms, PF RTABs

Last edited by jandref321; 09-07-2018 at 07:18 PM.. Reason: Add Photos
Appreciate 2
      09-10-2018, 02:58 AM   #2
0-60Motorsports
Brigadier General
Bahrain
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 JB 04 Coupe

Again very good DIY. and a good thing to inspect next time I have the car on the Lift. Thank you for posting this fresh content.
2011 VW Golf R DSG White/Black
IG: @060Motorsports
Appreciate 1
      09-11-2018, 01:14 PM   #3
StatenEye
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5M F85

Garage List
2016 BMW X5M  [0.00]
2011 BMW X5M  [9.00]
Thanks for this, DIYs for this track are worth their weight in gold.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2018, 03:44 PM   #4
cncmastr
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: E46 ZCP, F85, E70, G07

Garage List
2018 X5 M  [0.00]
2020 M2 CS  [0.00]
2005 BMW X5 4.8is  [0.00]
2006 BMW M3  [0.00]
How many miles were you your original flex disc?

Thanks for the DIY btw.
      12-13-2018, 08:00 AM   #5
jandref321
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2012 X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by cncmastr View Post
How many miles were you your original flex disc?

Thanks for the DIY btw.
72k miles

2020 G01 X3 30e CURRENT M Sport Package
2019 Ford Raptor SuperCrew CURRENT 802A, KN Drop-in, RB Flaps, Husky Well Liners
2012 E70 X5M SOLD Stg 1+ Turbos, DPs, Velos Stg 2+, JB4, Race Cats, Bavauto Coils
2003 E46 M3 SOLD aFe CAI, AP Axleback, SSK, H&R Springs, TMS CMBR Arms, PF RTABs
Appreciate 1
cncmastr1568.50
      07-30-2022, 02:44 PM   #6
wcs531
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90 335xi / E70 X5d

Thanks for posting this and your other thread with some details on the center support bearing.

I wish I had searched more thoroughly and found your center support bearing thread before trying to take on the job on my 35d. I have all the heat shields off and realized the driveshaft is not the same as all the other BMW videos online (Large nut on rear diff versus multiple bolts on older cars and more importantly no bolt to separate the driveshaft).

Both my center support bearing and guibo look ok with flaking but no tearing at 106k miles. I'll probably still do the guibo since the heat shields are off and I have the part, but I doubt it was causing the vibration that I was chasing during high torque low rpm situations. I'm starting to think it could just be my aftermarket ATM midpipe hitting somewhere, which I will be putting back on in the next few hours anyway so we will see if I can fix it.

Edit: It looks like there is a solution for the center support bearing that doesnt require dropping/separating the driveshaft, not cheap but much less labor. It addresses the rubber surround which is usually the failure point, and reuses bearing itself.

https://www.jxbperformance.com/produ...arrier-upgrade

Last edited by wcs531; 07-30-2022 at 02:57 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2023, 02:31 PM   #7
punisher12b
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i

sorry to resurrect this thread... How long did this take you..
I might be able to snag my buddys shop and do this . curious how long I should be like bro i need to borrow the lift for
Appreciate 0