XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos

12-09-2018, 04:01 PM   #177
Dog Face Pony Soldier
2006 TIME Person Of The Year
United_States
Rep
Drives: M Sport 335i

Garage List
2014 335i  [9.74]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bread View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by glennQNYC View Post
A couple of weeks ago the NY-Metro area was surprised by a snow storm that crippled roadways. People that had a 15 minute commute were in traffic for 5-6 hours.

Whenever I hear another one of my friends tell me a horror story of their short commute turning into hours and hours, I think of what a disaster this would be if they were in an EV. You might have plenty of range on a normal day, but a bad traffic jam could mean you're going to be waiting for a tow truck.
Uh, why? Consumption from climate control is negligible and you're not moving. This is no different than a gas car.
First, (here's a shocker) it's cold when it snows. This cold itself significantly diminishes range. Combine this with needing to run wipers, heat, defog (essentially air conditioning), and the rear defroster and you just lost a TON of your range when driving in the snow. This is anything but negligible. A more appropriate word is "significant."

Add-in this particular snow storm happened in the afternoon, so most likely you'd be starting your drive home with less than a full charge. Your morning commute consumed some of the vehicle's total range.

Another real factor is the drag of driving through the snow (on the roads). My MPG drops about 25% in snowy conditions. EVs aren't immune to this.

The other obvious difference is a gas car can quickly refuel nearly anyplace. Even if you're lucky enough to find an available charger on the way home, you'd have to sit there and make your excruciatingly-long commute even longer.
      12-09-2018, 05:48 PM   #178
RM7
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Camaro SS 1LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by glennQNYC View Post
First, (here's a shocker) it's cold when it snows. This cold itself significantly diminishes range. Combine this with needing to run wipers, heat, defog (essentially air conditioning), and the rear defroster and you just lost a TON of your range when driving in the snow. This is anything but negligible. A more appropriate word is "significant."

Add-in this particular snow storm happened in the afternoon, so most likely you'd be starting your drive home with less than a full charge. Your morning commute consumed some of the vehicle's total range.

Another real factor is the drag of driving through the snow (on the roads). My MPG drops about 25% in snowy conditions. EVs aren't immune to this.

The other obvious difference is a gas car can quickly refuel nearly anyplace. Even if you're lucky enough to find an available charger on the way home, you'd have to sit there and make your excruciatingly-long commute even longer.
With that many cars on the road, I'd wager the drag is negligible. Driving through a few inches of fresh snow with no one else to lay down tracks, sure. Seems you are looking to punch holes in something that really isn't a big deal. People drive Tesla Model 3, S and X up here in Alaska, I see them pretty much daily at this point.
      12-09-2018, 06:43 PM   #179
Teeone
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bread View Post
Uh, why? Consumption from climate control is negligible and you're not moving. This is no different than a gas car.
This is incorrect. In the Tesla, the heater core is a 5kw electric heater core. It really hurts range.
Appreciate 1
Taskmaster2463.00